“It's kind of like camping.....but with more dirt....and bugs....”

Travelodge Inn & Suites San Antonio Airport
Ranked #84 of 354 Hotels in San Antonio
“It's kind of like camping.....but with more dirt....and bugs....”
Reviewed April 5, 2013 via mobile

I was quite disappointed with this hotel. It was more like a primitive campground. The rooms have a very "DIY" construction feel with thin walls and floors. My room had filthy sheets, dead roaches, worn out carpet, poor television reception, and broken Internet. The continental breakfast consists of cold cereal. Overall, the hotel felt very filthy and I was eager to check out and go get a shower somewhere else.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank TheRicky

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed April 1, 2013

We had reservations to stay at this hotel with my family in March. i had stayed here previous years for soccer tournaments and felt it would comfortable with the choice. We checked in at apporximately 10pm. Our first room had a moldy smell which was a little to strong for my wife to handle. they transfered us to a second room, right away two large dead roaches, one in the bathroom and one in the front room. We tried one last time a in third room, well no dead roaches, but rather a live one. This was too much for my wife to handle so there we were at that late hour driving around San Antonio looking for another hotel with our 4 year old. the best thing of the hotel was the attendant at the front desk who was apologetic and patient and understanding. She refunded our payment. i am extrmely disapointed with the company and currently looking for the parent company to write to. I also will pass the word around to other sports leagues who use this place as a host hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms ar efine if you dont mind the occasional bug and moldy smell.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank wassup_13
Asheville
Reviewed March 30, 2013

While many of the reviewers were negative, I found this facility to be a pleasant place at a reasonable price.
Everything in the room worked and it was clean.
I liked the porch and having a separate sitting area.
The breakfast is not fancy but at the price I would not have cared if there was no food at all in the morning.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 20, 2013

I was passing through San Antonio and thougt Id stop and get some rest before continuing my long journey. Decided I preferred to pay less (it was already 1:30am and checkout was at 11am). I saw this "3 star hotel" marked down 50% so I booked immediately. As I pulled in I noticed it was a motel with ok looking cottages. I walked in and realized I made a mistake. I thought that if the lobby looked worn, the rooms would too. I noticed simple things like worn floors and dirty walls and doors. Not a good look. The guy at the desk was very pleasant. I told him that I was worried and asked if this was a 3 star hotel. He said yes with a straight look, then told me about their time share rooms. Of course I declined and went in for the room that I purchased online. NOTHING like the Travelocity photos. They used their updated time share rooms only for the photos, although they were selling very outdated rooms, with filthy carpets. Their sink had cracks and some black moldy looking material on the drain cover. The bathroom reeked of urine and was tiny. The bed was comfortable although it had the typical old motel quilts that are usually not cleaned before/after each guest. I can only imagine what was on it. A simple duvet, a good cleaning, new carpet and paint would make a big difference. Not worth it too them I guess. However they want the recognition and advertisement of a 3 star hotel. I will say that the guy at the front desk made me feel very welcomed and he was great, but I won't return.

• Stayed March 2013
Houston, Texas
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Let's start with the positives. The bed was comfortable, the sheets were cotton, and they stayed on the bed. The towels were reasonable as far as hotel towels go, not super fluffy, but not threadbare, either. The room was spacious, with a sitting area furnished with a love seat and TV that is separated from the sleeping area by a small kitchenette. The bathroom sink is in the main room so someone can brush their teeth while someone else is in with the tub/shower and toilet. There are two TV's, one with the beds and one with the sitting area. This is a motel, so parking is very convenient. We were just steps away from our front door.

However, there are enough downsides that I cannot recommend anyone stay here. First, we had a plumbing problem with our toilet just before we went to bed. The toilet overflowed and spilled water all over the floor. This water went out of the bathroom and into the mini kitchenette and sitting area. The carpet in the sitting area got wet. We called the front desk as soon as we noticed the problem and the porter showed up with a bunch of old towels, like he was used to this kind of problem. He cleaned up the water and put towels on the carpet and told us to put the towels out in the morning for him to retrieve. It was late, we were ready for bed, but I was still surprised that no one even offered to let us change rooms. The carpet was wet! Ugh! When we checked out in the morning, it was like it never even happened. My fault for not making more of an issue about it but really, you're going to charge me $104 to sleep in a room with wet floors? There didn't seem to be any communication between the different shifts about what happened.

Additionally, even without the water incident, the room was a worn out, tired mess. There was a hole in the carpet in the sitting area underneath the TV stand. The walls, doors and trim could use some paint and the love seat cushions has small holes in them and was uncomfortable. The tub/toilet room was tiny though reasonably clean. I did see several insects in the bathroom but, hey, it's Texas and there are insects. Still, I'm not accustomed to seeing insects in my room when I travel.

There are certainly better options than this when in San Antonio and I recommend you look for them.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Texas
Reviewed January 31, 2013

I stayed at this facility end of April 2011. The staff was very helpful with directions and using public transportation. The surrounding neighborhood looks a little suspect due to some nearby adult oriented businesses but the property had their own 24 hours security which eased my mind. The only negative was the room I stayed in had an air conditioner which barely cooled the room. If it had been later in the year it would not have worked well enough to be comfortable.

Room Tip: Make sure to ask for the most recently updated rooms I was told the air conditioning is good in them...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Newark, NJ
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Small hotel located about 15 minutes away from downtown San Antonio. Very friendly staff and owner. Rooms are spacious with an interior wood finish that looks very nice. Stayed for three nights in January, but pool and cabana area looked great. Hope to visit San Antonio in the summertime, will absolutely stay at this hotel again!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business