“always fun”

Ranked #83 of 354 Hotels in San Antonio
sanantonio
“always fun”
Reviewed May 11, 2012

Everytime I stay here I enjoy it!!!freindly staff.. Good place for family and kids!!! lots of tree's!! 10 min from downtown.. east to get to where you want to go...

Room Tip: stay by the pool
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
South Jordan, Utah, United States
Reviewed April 28, 2012

When you spend as much time on the road as I do (over 200 nights last year) all the cities start to blur into one. I often try to engage the front desk people in a little friendly banter just to break the monotony, but they usually just look at me with that same bored "we have to be here" expression on their faces.

Not so with the folks at Hill Country Inn - San Antonio. I was on the tail end of a 6 week road trip, so I had really about had it with being away from home. The ladies at the front desk were so cheerful! They seemed genuinely happy to see me. Especially Denise. I made some lame joke, and she picked up the ball right away. We spent several minutes going back and forth, all in good fun, yet completely professional. It was really nice to be greeted by, and treated as a real human being who was capable of a genuine smile and a heartfelt conversation!

Later, when my wife arrived (we came in from opposite directions) she was every bit as cheerful and genuine as she had been with me. We were in San Antonio for my daughter's graduation from Combat Medic training at Fort Sam. When Denise and the other ladies learned of the reason for our visit they warmly congratulated us, and thanked us for our daughter's service, which was very heartwarming.

We were here for 3 nights, and my wife mentioned that we'll have to remember this place if we ever come this way again!

The rooms themselves are cozy, quaint, and comfortable. The horizontal tongue-and-groove cedar paneling gives you the feeling of being in a cabin rather than a motel room. The sitting area was a very nice bonus, as were the microwave and fridge. Nice property, GREAT experience!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Paul F
Soldotna, Alaska
Reviewed April 19, 2012

Their hot tubs look very old and don't appear to be very well maintained. That could be fixed just by draining and getting them re-painted. Their pool looked decent. The place looks like a bunch of old efficiency apartments. The lobby looks nice, the rooms not so much. It might be cheapest for them in they just tear down the entire sert up and start new. The rustic appearance in the photos are luring, but these rooms are just ran down and old. The original construction was cheaply done. Plane wood boards everywhere, including the bathroom where you can see little black spots of mold growing. The toilet was so loud you better hope nobody has to use it at night. The bathtub was oxidized and so dirty looking I would only use it for a shower with sandals on. The beds were Fred Flintstone style. (Very hard) To top it off they used some sort of scented room freshener. They used way too much it. I am very sensitive to perfumes and fragrances (Allergies). I was unable to sleep in this room because they used so much. It was overwhelming for the people I was traveling with too. I booked two night I only stayed one before moving to the Best Western Riverwalk. Their "breakfast buffet" consisted of dry cereal and juice. Their customer service was great, but that was the only great thing about the place.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Whitehouse, Texas
Reviewed April 8, 2012

This was only a mediocre hotel. Good things: fast check in & out, friendly staff, big rooms with two tvs, big nice pool and cabana area with free evening drinks, great kid pool area and playground too. We also had a broken ac unit in our room which the maintenance guy fixed very nicely with a new unit in less than a half hour when we called. They did offer another room but we just let him fix it instead to be more convenient for everyone. Bad: obviously the broken ac wasn't good, the bathroom did smell funny, the towels and sheets were very rough, the beds were the worst we've slept on, and the way it is located on the highway at an exit is inconvenient, and location of ice machine is not convenient. Overall I've been to worse, but I would not go back there despite the nice service.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 30, 2012 via mobile

My wife booked the room for our family, so I had no expectations except I knew it was cheap. I'm guessing that the rooms must vary a lot based on the reviews. We loved the place, room was large - 2 queen reasonably comfortable beds, living room, 2 TV'S, kitchenette ... but definitely not the beauty in the ad...or anything small or nasty like the other reviews. It is not full of top end stuff, but it all worked and clean. We were right next to the cabana area, between the pool and playground ...and they put our rooms next to each other which helped.

Pool was great (yes, the cement could be better on the sitting areas) and loved the hot tub area...kids had a great time on the playground. We ate out on the covered picnic tables.

Free drinks night was the icing of it all...that was fun. And as others said, the staff are all super friendly and helped with every request ...with 3 kids we asked a lot.

So yes, not as nice as the stuff we have at home...but a great experience overall.

Stayed March 2012
1 Thank DavidJustDavid
Reviewed January 26, 2012

We spent not 10 minutes in the room before we decided we couldn't spend the night in it. The beds were rock hard, they seriously felt like there were 2 box springs stacked on top of each other. Things were very dingy and not at all the cute, rustic cottage described on their website.

The front desk staff was friendly when we checked in, but couldn't have cared less when we told them about the issues with the room.

I think this could be a very nice little hotel if all of the rooms were updated to the condition and amenities they advertise.

• Stayed January 2012
1 Thank SpartanLAE
rhode island
Reviewed November 21, 2011

I stayed here for three nights (canceled my last one) in November. On the plus side: employees were friendly and helpful, beds were comfy, soft linens, really soft pillows, nice property with a nature trail and golf course, lovely spa, and good breakfast buffet.
The bad side::Nowhere near San Antonio, it's at least a 30 minute ride and that was just not what I felt like doing after attending a conference all day long. Since I wasn't going downtown to enjoy the riverwalk,on the first night I went to the upscale restaurant "Antlers" which was disappointing. Some of the choices looked great on paper, but they were mediocre: oysters: tiny and overcooked, probably frozen. Shrimp: definitely not fresh, and not from the gulf.
The spa was lovely, had a wonderful massage and facial, but the product used for my manicure never dried. They did it again the next day, no charge, but that was just as bad. So.. they agreed to send polish remover to my room and reversed all of the charges, which was nice, but I can't understand why they are using such crappy nail polish in a high end spa!
Last, but worst of all: Texas is in the midst of one of the worst droughts ever, and they took my towels after I'd hung them up to dry the first morning. So, I called the desk and asked them if they had a "reuse the towels if you'd like" policy, they said yes. The next day: my towels were gone again, but a little note card was left on the bathroom counter that said, in a round about way, that towels and sheets are only washed if requested... So, I hung up my towel the next morning, and sure enough, towels were replaced again, and all the lights were on in my room when I returned to it. I was really amazed that this hotel is so wasteful especially during such harsh and dry times in Texas.
The last morning I was there, I woke up early, and could hear the man in the next room snoring!! Just as I fell back asleep, I heard his phone ring, (wake up call) and then could hear him relieving himself in the bathroom! Thoroughly disgusted with this place, I checked out a day early.

Room Tip: I stayed in a room with a balcony, it was nice but no chairs out there. Also really far walk from t...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business