“A delight to add to the beautiful places you keep in your memory bank"” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of McNay Art Museum

Ranked #9 of 262 things to do in San Antonio
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: A huge Mediterranean-style mansion that houses over 10,000 paintings, sculptures and prints.
Shreveport, LA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“A delight to add to the beautiful places you keep in your memory bank"”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2011

My husband, daughter and son-in-law took advantage of the free admission to this wonderful museum on the first Sunday of August. What a wise choice! After the festive atmosphere of the River Walk, etc. a trip to this calming and contemplative site was heavenly. I am no art expert, but I absolutely was blown away by the original artwork on exhibit in this lovely old Mediterranean villa and the more recent additions. Several hours visiting this beautiful spot was a lovely way for us to end our long weekend in San Antonio. I hope to return.

Visited August 2011

22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“1st Museum in Texas”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2011

I've visited the McNay several times and I've always been able to enjoy it so much. Mainly because it's small for a museum (huge for a house) and the art is first class but there is not so much that it is so overwhelming you can't appreciate it or study it to your hearts content. Even the house and the gardens are a work of art so you can just sit outside and take it all in.
I must confess that I never appreciated Diego Rivera until I saw the Nina Delfina painting here. It is just a lovely picture, and Picasso, and so many other Great painters. Mrs. Koogler McNay had a great eye and started collecting some of these pieces while the painters were relative unknowns. The medieval rooms are also a must see and I specially love that I don't feel suffocated when visiting these rooms as I do in the larger museums.
It is true as other reviewers say that the guards are over zealous but they must have their reasons and sometimes they give great tips like not missing the bathroom in the new wing. Even if you don't need to use the facilities they are a work of art. Just be for-warned if it gets to closing time you must go directly to the lobby and your eyes must not stray from the forward position. LOL :)

Visited September 2010
1 Thank MargGlz
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Don't miss it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2011

Outstanding, diverse collection of art shown in Spanish Colonial style mansion and added buildings. Don't miss this gem!

Nicholasville, Kentucky
151 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 169 helpful votes
“Beautiful mansion, uptight workers!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2011

I am torn what to say about this place. We visited twice. Once in Cooler January and once in April. They offer a free evening to the public one evening a week. We took advantage of the opportunity to see something different add some culture to our children's lives. (It is not all about rollercoasters!) In January we stayed indoors and toured the whole complex inside. On our return visit we briefly stayed indoors and enjoyed the grounds for plenty of picture taking opportunities. Art lover's will love the variety and quantity of art. O'Keefe, Picasso, Monet, and Renoit to name just a few. There is art from the American south west and other varieties from around the world. The mansion and grounds were spectacular. So if you are an adult that loves art, then chaulk up 5 stars. Problem is, I brought my family...with three kids. Do not assume that the problem was the kids. I can assure you that I can admit when they are wrong or misbehaving. I felt like the problem was that the kids are not wanted by the museum. Before we entered the museum, we cautiously told our kids to be on their best behavior and not touch anything. Stay with in a few feet of us, talk sofly and look with your eyes. When we walked in, the receptionists, were very gracious and helpful. We noticed one of the workers in the background had on headgear and was communicating with other workers throughout the complex. Looking back, I can't help but wonder if he was calling out a CODE RED, for kids in the building. For as we entered the first section, a lady immediately got on us for crossing on line on the floor. Okay, our mistake. But what was an annoyance, soon became a comedy of errors. My WIFE, was yelled at twice! When I say yelled at, I don't mean literally, but none the less, lectured. Every room we entered, we were immediately decended on like vultures on road kill. Watching our every move. There are many rooms and this happened throughout the whole complex. My wife was asked to remove a fanny pack she had on her back. It was a small purse, but apparently she could have turned causing a chain reaction of great destruction. Another time she pointed at a picture to show something and was jumped on for having her finger within twelve inches of the object. Every room was the same thing. It is not pleasureable to view art with condescending stares. We did not cause a commotion. We just entered a room and breathed. At one point my youngest son was tired and I proceded to put him on my shoulders. You would have thought I tried to run out of the museum with a painting or two. I am sure anyone reading this is thinking. Okay, sure. I bet those kids were running willy nilly in the museum. I cannot emphasize enough that this was not the case and the proceeding sequence is no exaggeration. We returned in April with my wife saying, "Why are earth, are we going back?" I assured her that we we only go in briefly and then tour the grounds. I thought that the previous time was perhaps a fluke. But when we went indoors we were soon lectured for standing too close to the glass encasement for a piece of art. We immediately headed outside and enjoyed the grounds with no hassle. The San Antonio Art Museum also offers a free night once a week. Not once did we receive this treatment. Nor any other art museums throughout the United States that we have visited. So despite the amount of art and beauty this place provides, I simply cannot give it a good grade based on our experiences there.

Visited April 2010
16 Thank KentuckyDB
SAN ANTONIO, TEXAS
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“the museum itself is great, but current Impressionism exhibit - so, so”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2010

I was disappointed with exhibit Landscapes from the Age of Impressionism and I went to museum on Thursday evening so only had to pay for exhibit. There are 40 pictures but it didn't seem like much. I have been to several different exhibits at this museum & this is first I'm disappointed in. If you are from out of town however, museum itself is definitely worth a visit.