“Well below Hyatt's usual standards”

Hyatt Place San Antonio Airport/Quarry Market
Ranked #80 of 356 Hotels in San Antonio
GreenLeadersBronze level
Houston, TX
“Well below Hyatt's usual standards”
Reviewed February 14, 2014

Sloppy operation for Hyatt. Stayed 3 times over 10 days & found new staff each stay. Advertise airport transfers, but our party & 2 others, waited 55 minutes after calling the hotel, & it's less than 10 minutes away. Rooms standard Hyatt Place offering, & housekeeping is top notch, but there are obvious operational problems. Breakfast service was haphazard & unacceptable each morning of our visit. Had a group in the hotel during 1 stay, & the property was so seriously understaffed & overwhelmed at breakfast that it was an embarrassment to Hyatt, & we felt sorry for the staff who were on duty. Most food offerings were empty & no coffee for long periods, & then either filled with coffee grounds, or improperly brewed & undrinkable, which resulted in dozens of 1/2 filled cups all over the lobby. Not a clean table anywhere in the lobby when we arrived at 9:00A. Management clearly failed to staff properly. The staff who were on duty were pleasant, courteous & apologetic, but that didn't make up for the inferior service levels.

Room Tip: INSIST on even-numbered rooms. Odd-numbered rooms face the freeway intersection, which is why the ho...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
HyattQuarryAP, General Manager at Hyatt Place San Antonio Airport/Quarry Market, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
Dear SMVHOU,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your experience at Hyatt Place Quarry Market. I wish to express my sincerest apologies for the issues you encountered with transportation as well as during breakfast. Let me assure you that what you experienced was the exception and definitely not the normal level of service we offer here at the HyattPlace. I can offer no excuse or explanation – only my apologies and invitation to return. Please contact me personally when your travels bring you back to San Antonio so I may handle the arrangements and ensure a flawless experience. I hope you will accept our apologies and give us a opportunity to give you a true Hyatt experience.

Chris Arango

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Baltimore, MD
Reviewed February 13, 2014

Good -

Check-in was great. Friendly staff

Room was super clean. Didn't find a spec of dust anywhere.

Good shower pressure and warm water - nice walk in shower too

Location - excellent if you need to stay close to the airport yet would like to go shopping or dining. Very close to the Quarry Market area which has plenty of both.

TV - Huge flat screen TV with HD channels that actually work. Been to a lot of Hyatt's here lately where the screen was fuzzy and the channel selection was weak.

Bad -

Tried to plug in my laptop somewhere near the bed. Found the the AC plugs are almost completely covered by the head board. Even the lamp cord was jammed into the small space. My recommendation is simple and cost effective - mount one of those 4-outlet things on the nightstand like a lot of Hyatt Regeny hotels have. It makes a HUGE difference to business travelers and other travelers alike to have plenty of AC outlet options near the bed.

The other annoyance is the air conditioning unit. Please tell me you have a plan to replace these monster AC/Heat units that are as loud as airplane engines. No wonder you included a new set of ear plugs on each night stand. I would have needed them had it been to cold or hot in the room. Thankfully I was visiting during a 70-degree period and didn't need to run the unit. But it was on when I checked in and it was extremely loud.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Dear Ravenboy,

Thank you for taking the time to offer your comments on Trip Advisor. I wish to extend our heartfelt apologies for the issues encountered with your a/c unit during your visit. We are disappointed that you were not you left with a negative impression of us.

I would also thank you for your feedback regarding the outlets in your room, it is comments like these that give us the opportunity to help improve the level of service we provide our guest.Guest satisfaction is a top priority here at the Hyatt Place Airport/Quarry Market.
We realize you have a choice when staying in San Antonio and I’d like to invite you back to give us another opportunity to show you the type of service and product we are proud to deliver.

Please contact me directly when your travels bring you back to San Antonio so I may personally handle your arrangements. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

With Kindest Regards,

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed January 20, 2014

This is my first stay at a Hyatt Place. I got through priceline and did not know what to expect. After 3 days at the RiverWalk I decided to switch down to the airport area to get some work done and be there for my morning flight. The cab here was about 20 bucks..(cheaper than to the airport at 30. and this hotel has a free shuttle). I got here 2.5 hours before check in and had to hang out in the lobby and they gave me a room as soon as one was available (before checkin time). The lobby has great tables and chairs and the wifi was strong. I was very comfortable while i waited and the staff was really nice.. and the coffee was good.

The room was great, it has a sectional couch that is very comfortable. I would have liked more obvious plug in by the couch, but plugs near the desk were super easy for my electronics. I liked how the couch was in its own section, if I were here meeting with people this would be appropriate. There is a fridge as well.

There were lots of families here and it seemed very family friendly. There is a 7-11 next door so I was able to easily get snacks. The front desk has snacks that are at a reasonable price for hotels this includes alcohol. There really is not a need to go somewhere for food.

The breakfast was fantastic. First real dishes.. They had lots of yogurt and fruit so I was able to stay on my diet. Additionally, they had breakfast sandwiches which were very good. Things were clean and orderly (and there was a volleyball tournament staying here too.. so I was impressed)..

I would definitely stay at a Hyatt place again.. it was comfortable and the staff was great. I am about to take the airport shuttle but I saw people take it all day long, and they seemed to be fine.

Two things I was not impressed with:
The tv is set to an one hour sleep timer. Annoying.. so I have to keep turning the tv on, and then it loses the channel etc..
The tv cannot be watched at the desk..
The shower leaked a bit on the bathroom floor, and the set up of the bathroom door to the shower, did not work great.

Not really a problem: there is a train on this side, did not bother me, but others it may (I am in room 203).. but there were ear plugs provided on both sides of the bed (which I did not use)..

I slept so well here after 4 days of conferences.. it was great.

Room Tip: I was in room 203 and it was on a side near a train. It was not a problem and they provided ear plug...
Green Features: They have signs about it.. but I am staying one night, so does not make a big impact.. breakfast uses real dishes.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
HyattQuarryAP, General Manager at Hyatt Place San Antonio Airport/Quarry Market, responded to this review, January 22, 2014
Dear ConferenceTraveler,

Thank you for taking the time to express your positive feedback regarding Hyatt Place San Antonio Airport. To read compliments like yours is what I admire most about my position as General Manager. It gives me great pleasure to share your feedback with our team, corporate offices and ownership.

I would also like to apologize for any inconvenience you may have encountered due to the issues with your tv and shower. The hotel has corrected the issues you mentioned and again thank you for your comments.

Here at the HyattPlace San Antonio Airport we know you have many choices when selecting a hotel and we would like to thank for staying at the HyattPlace San Antonio Airport.

Sincerest Regards,

Chris M. Arango
Austin, Texas
Reviewed January 12, 2014 via mobile

Hyatt Place offers many conveniences nearby: The Quarry Shopping mall is across 281, North Star Mall is not too far either. You have easy access to 281, which allows easy access to the airport and also downtown San Antonio. The hotel itself is very clean and their staff is very friendly! Management maintains a great group of people! My room was clean and upon arriving in San Antonio the temperature outside was a bit cold for SA, once I got into my room the temp was nice and warm!! Beds, linens and towels were all very clean and plentiful. The hotel offers a delicious breakfast: hot bagels with eggs/bacon or eggs with cheese, a fresh fruit selection that includes a huge bowl of fresh cut up grapefruits! They offer coffee, a great selection of teas, too and if course OJ and milk.
Another great thing about this hotel is that it's pet friendly! They have ample grassy areas for your furry babies and have a pet station w disposal baggies and trash. Their parking is well lit and I always found a close parking space.

Highly recommend this place! It really does feel like home away from home!!

• Stayed December 2013
HyattQuarryAP, General Manager at Hyatt Place San Antonio Airport/Quarry Market, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Dear SanAntonioDayTripper,

Thank you for taking the time to express your positive feedback regarding Hyatt Place Quarry Market. It gives me great pleasure to share your feedback with our team, corporate offices and ownership. If I can ever be of any personal assistance to you, please do not hesitate to reach out to me personally. We look forward to the privilege of serving you again soon and we thank you for your business.

Sincerest Regards,

San Diego, California
Reviewed December 15, 2013

We spent the weekend here for the F1 race at Austin.
Hotel is small but conveniently located. Offer daily hot breakfast (very good), in-room complimentary WiFi (excellent), free parking. Staff is very friendly and helpful.
Bed was very comfortable, room was quite and clean. So we got a good deal for our money.

Room Size and distribution is OK, but lacks for closet and drawer space, me and my wife stayed for 3 nights, and all our clothing did not fit in the drawers/closet.
Fitness Room is small (just 3 treadmills), but had no issues.
Shower space very small.

Everything was perfect until.....My wife spotted a small roach in the shower.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
HyattQuarryAP, General Manager at Hyatt Place San Antonio Airport/Quarry Market, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
Dear Toto_iteso,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your comments on Trip Advisor. I will definitely share your comments and feedback with the staff.

The Hyatt Place is a very unique brand that set us apart from other more traditional hotels from our 24 food service to our guest room amenities. Although our brand has many unique features our core feature has always been to offer a clean, comfortable home away from home.

Thank you for choosing Hyatt Place San Antonio/Quarry Market. We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Kindest Regards,

La Grange Park
Reviewed December 10, 2013

The location of this hotel was convenient for our needs. The staff was very friendly every time we interacted with them at the desk. It was my first place staying in a Hyatt place and I really enjoyed the convenience. I like the 24 hour grab-n-go food at the desk (sandwiches at 2am, yes!). When I asked for pillows, it was really late and I had to go down to the desk which wasn't a problem as they were ready right away (just call earlier in the night, it was like midnight when I called). Breakfast was decent although I didn't feel well and only ate cereal, it looked like they had a nice selection of items. Staff was friendly going in and out of the hotel. Took the shuttle to the Quarry Market to get some lunch, quick service to get both dropped off and picked up -- very nice service!
The bed was really comfy and I really like their comforters. My ONLY complaint was the stupid shower. It didn't even have a real door, kind of just a half glass wall - made for a very chilly shower. I can only attribute it to a lack of space?? Not all the rooms are like this because we had a 2nd room that had a regular tub/shower combo with a curtain.

Room Tip: Try and ask for one with a tub/shower combo as opposed to only shower.
Green Features: Good with towels and bed linens exchange policies -- notices were posted all over the room.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dear Amilia,

I wish to extend a sincere thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. We truly appreciate the compliments and I am proud of our team for meeting your expectations. I will be sure to share your feedback with them and we look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel very soon!

Kindest Regards,