“Great but somewhat noisy location. Crazy Full on the Weekends.”

Hyatt Place San Antonio Airport/Quarry Market
Ranked #87 of 354 Hotels in San Antonio
GreenLeadersBronze level
Heidelberg
“Great but somewhat noisy location. Crazy Full on the Weekends.”
Reviewed July 6, 2011

The Good:

Excellent location. Free Parking. Easy access to 281, the Quarry shopping area, and the North Star Mall. Easy and quick commute to/from Ft. Sam Houston. A gas station is next door with a convenience store. Great for filling up the rental car before turning it back in, and for less expensive snacks.

Very nicely styled and modern rooms. Lots of pillows and overall a very comfortable bed. The shower was spacious, fully tiled with a glass door, which was a nice change from the bathtub with shower curtains. The toilet had a power flush and a soft-close lid, so it never slammed when closed. The bathroom ventilation fan was powerful. The air-conditioning unit cooled the room sufficiently, and kept the temperature at a constant level. My room had a newer unit, but one room had an older unit which was kind of loud. Rooms were well insulated to noise from other rooms and the hallway.

A refrigerator was included in the room at no extra cost (unlike the DoubleTree), along with a desk with lamp. Depending on the layout of the room, you either had direct access to the (very cool) TV input panel from the desk, or you had to put your computer below the TV. The input panel allows you to connect your computer or video player to the very large flat screen TV without having to find the inputs on the TV itself (HDMI, VGA, Composite, etc.). In-room coffee maker....but the coffee is better in the lobby. Microwave in the lobby. Staff was generous with providing utensils and coffee cups when needed.

The exercise room had a good selection of cardio equipment (1x cross-trainer, 2x treadmills, 1x bicycle), with TV's built into each (very nice!). No weight machines though. A water cooler was provided, as were headphones.

Breakfast was nicely presented. Plenty of juice, coffee, yogurt, fresh fruit toast and bagels. Pancakes and more can be ordered (at cost I think). Breakfast was great for a businessman, but probably expensive for a family that wants eggs, etc. Coffee was very good, but always seemed to run out when I needed it (on my way out the door). A new pot was generally a few minutes away though. One day the coffee maker broke, but rather than deny everyone coffee, the staff made us coffee using the bar cappuccino machine...hats off to the staff for that.

Electronic kiosks for check-in/out if you want!
The Wall Street Journal at your door!!! Finally a real complimentary paper.
Free small tube of AquaFresh Toothpaste...was a nice touch

Cleaning staff did a great job cleaning the rooms.

The Neutral or So-So:

TV faced away from the desk area. It was great for viewing from the bed, but I could not work and watch TV at the same time.

Only one old-fashioned top load washer and dryer for all the hotel guests, which caused some delays. Washing and drying costs $1.75/1.50 per load.

A/C had trouble keeping up in the exercise room on hot days. Staff had trouble keeping towels stocked at the swimming pool and fitness center. I had to ask for more towels multiple times.

Strong smell of cleaning fluid in the hallways on the 4th floor for some reason. One room on that floor smelled very musty, almost like mold or smokey.

Very young staff. Friendly enough but seemed to kick back (no sense of urgency) the first few days that I was there. Saw what seemed to be a real manager taking charge approximately a week after my arrival...was funny to watch the front staff moving around and getting things back in order after kind of slacking off for the past few days. Staff was more attentive after that point, greeting you when you came in, etc. Maybe it's just me, but I notice that kind of stuff.

The Bad:
Noise levels are pretty high on the side facing the highway. Expect to be woken up at least once every night by the sound of cargo trains blaring their horns as they approach a road crossing near the hotel. The sound of droning cars can be heard from the highway. The side facing away from the highway gets most of the sun, so it can get hot. I got used to the sound after awhile, but the trains still woke me up from time to time.

The world's slowest elevators are in this hotel. Seriously, time to replace them.

On the weekends, Hyatt Place must run specials or something, since it was packed to the top with large groups, most of whom seemed to come from Mexico. Needless to say, I was not able to relax by the pool with a hundred people and kids yelling and running around. Breakfast in the lobby area was impossible with the numbers of people, who frankly, trashed the place.

Free internet was provided. High-Speed is not something I'd call my connection...nor would the word 'stable' apply. Some days I could use it without fail, while other days I had to reconnect often. Complimentary internet is a selling point, but the bandwidth should be doubled in this hotel.

Verdict:

Overall I enjoyed my stay and consider this hotel an excellent choice for a business stay. The location is not pretty, but hard to beat for an easy commute to work or shopping. I chose this hotel over the DoubleTree because it offered a refrigerator at no extra cost and free internet; while it beat out Embassy Suites Airport because it was a more modern hotel and offered free internet. I kind of expected a higher class of service and guests at this hotel because of the name, but it felt like a zoo on the weekends. It would be nice if Hyatt offered a full-breakfast on the weekend for those who stayed during the week as well.

Room Tip: For a sunny and less noisy room, pick the side away from the highway. For trainspotting and a nice...
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank FaceofBoe

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Texas
Reviewed June 18, 2011

We live about 75 miles from San Antonio so we frequently stay at hotels prior to early morning flights out. We've tried several near the air port and found them noisy, run down and having hard, old mattresses. The Hyatt Place is an exception. Nice bed, great room, quiet and comfortable are how I describe this hotel that offers free shuttle service to and from the air port and lets us leave our car in their lot instead of having to pay high air port parking fees. Our second stay was when we were invited to an evening wedding at the Argyle and we did not want to drive back to the ranch after dining and dancing. This is a super location in a good neighborhood.

• Stayed June 2011
1 Thank TarpleyTraveler
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed May 31, 2011

The front desk female receptionist's are extremely professional, positive, helpful and always in a good mood, a huge plus. My first night; my room was located on the backside to decrease the train noise (comes by 2x a night), however my A/C did not work to it's maximum potential. So at 0800 in the morning on my way out; I let the front desk know. Upon returning at 1500 (3:00), my room was not clean (even though the tip I left was gone) and my room was hot. The receptionist issued me another room, upon entering that room, it was hot, I bumped into Adrian the maintenace man, who agreed the A/C's were not working properly, so he placed me in a room with a brand new A/C ! Works fabulous. He was professional and amazingly helpful. The rooms are large w comfy / stylish furniture, a small fridge, large screen TV perfect for playoffs, comfortable beds, and your choice of tub/shower or just a shower (you must request with front desk). The cardio room is more than sufficient; has Lifetime Fitness machines and each one has it's own tv on the screen. The swimming pool was a godsend in this heat; just perfect, the water was clear, clean and wonderfully cool, the piped in hotel music was an added touch along with clean poolside towels. Location; easy to access 281S / N, close to the Quarry (sophisticated shops / resturants / movie theater). Simple; if something is not up to par; inquire kindly with the receptionist and allow them the opportunity to make it right. My 3rd room is a charm ! This stay is multiple nights...

Room Tip: Let your preferences be known upon/before check in
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank RnSReviews
USA
Reviewed May 11, 2011

On all previous trips to San Antonio I have stayed on the Riverwalk. This trip I didn't need the touristy things and the Hyatt Place was perfect. It is very convenient to the airport, shopping, Trinity University, and downtown.

The room was enormous and quite clean. Plenty of towels and the beds were fine. The air conditioner makes a strange noise, thumping after it cycles off. The internet seemed to be hit or miss. Sometimes it worked, other times I got no connection.

Staff were all very friendly and helpful. Plenty of parking. The breakfast has enough choices.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank FirstLast
Tucson, Arizona, USA
Reviewed April 28, 2011

We spent one night after a flight out of SAT was cancelled. I love the Hyatt Place brand, so we immediately chose this hotel.
I called the hotel directly to book a room, and they promptly sent over a shuttle to pick us up from the airport.
The shuttle driver and front desk staff were extremely welcoming and helpful. I asked specifically for a quiet room (I was completely unaware of the proximity to the train tracks, but this is something that I always ask for).
The room was great - no problems at all. Shortly after we checked in, we received a call from reception to make sure we were happy with the room. That has never happened to me before! What a nice surprise.
We used the free shuttle again to return to the airport for my husband's suitcase, and to go to and from dinner at the Quarry. The service was again very prompt and courteous. Having the free shuttle was a great plus that came with staying at the hotel, as was the close proximity to the Quarry - where there is a movie theater, and plenty of shopping & restaurants.
Shortly after we went to bed - the first loud Toot Toot rang through the night! Wowzer! I was surpised that they placed us on the train side of the hotel, especially since they were not booked up & I had specifically asked for quiet.
I have also noticed during all of my Hyatt Place stays that the in-room A/C unit is quite loud. But, I think that is intentional in order to block out the noise from other rooms & the outside.
Good thing the bed was incredibly comfortable - we didn't have trouble sleeping through the night, although I do think it kept me awake a little longer than if it would have been quiet.
Breakfast in the morning was wonderful, and check out was a breeze. The shuttle returned us to the airport, and we were on our way. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PJGAZ
Austin, Texas
Reviewed March 7, 2011

My husband and I LOVE staying at Hyatt Place hotels. The rooms have separate living and bedroom areas, and we really enjoy spending our nights on the large couches, watching the flatscreen tv and using the kitchen and bar facilities in the room.

We have stayed at Hyatt Place hotels in several different cities in Texas and had very positive experiences. Our room at this hotel was extremely clean and spacious. We did have a lot of difficulties sleeping, though. We expected some nighttime noise due to the close proximity of the hotel to the airport. We didn't end up hearing any planes from our room at all, but the train that ran on the other side of the highway where the hotel was located woke me up at least 5 times during the night. My husband didn't notice the train, but he was awoken by the noisy aircon/heating unit on several occasions. These noises, in addition to the humming of our refrigerator, resulted in a poor night's sleep for both of us.

I would highly recommend Hyatt Place hotels to travelers who are interested in doing more in their room than just sleeping. But at this particular hotel, I would recommend requesting a room on the back side of the hotel, away from the highway and railroad tracks, if you are not a very heavy sleeper.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Norfolk, Virginia
Reviewed February 6, 2011

Hotel has been recently remodeled with upscale contemporary decor. Rooms were extremely comfortable and electronic check-in/out is extremely quick and convenient. Rooms were very large and very comfortable. Location is great, right off the freeway, less than five minutes to the airport and right in the center of a major shopping district. The staff was very helpful. There is a free airport shuttle (limited hours) and we were able to leave our car there for an extended period of time while we were out of town. Freeway noise was very limited and not really an issue. Not necessarily the best location for romance, relaxation or sight seeing, but great for travel, business and shopping.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple