“Old, but it worked”

Ranked #85 of 356 Hotels in San Antonio
Malta, Illinois
“Old, but it worked”
Reviewed December 20, 2011

This property was older and somewhat run down. There is a lot of space in the suites (it's an all suite property). My room was reasonable, under $100 for a room with 2 king beds and a pull out couch. I wouldn't really recommend thinking about walking anywhere from the hotel, as the area is not the greatest. That said, we all slept well, at least. The breakfast was free, with waffles and such, though it was very crowded, and we could rarely find a seat. There is ample parking with a fenced lot, which was good for us, as we were traveling with a trailer. The bottom line is, unless you need the parking space, go for something closer to the city. There are bargains that are just as good, in better neighborhoods.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank FarmGirl78

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
BC, Canada
Reviewed November 29, 2011

My husband and I went to San Antonio with some friend to attend the Rock N Roll Marathon and stayed at the Alamo Suites from November10 through the 17th. The accommodations were roomy and comfortable with the convenience of having a small fridge which came in handy for storing bottled water and yogurts. The view out the sliding door was of an industrial lot, which didn't bother us as we were only there to sleep. The only problem we had with the room was with the air conditioner. During a hot evening the air conditioner was turned on and it would blow out air that smelled musty and moldy. It smelled so bad I avoided using it and kept the window open at night instead.
The continental breakfast was ok. The breakfast room had a waffle station, hard boiled eggs, cold cereals and sliced bread, bagels and english muffins to toast, yogurts, coffee, tea, juice, apples and oranges. One thing that would have been nice would have been a bowl of fruit salad in addition to the apples and oranges.
Overall the hotel was clean, the location convenient, the front desk staff friendly and a great deal for what we paid for the week.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank CanuckEMC2
Midland, Texas
Reviewed October 30, 2011

My grandson left his Ipod in the room(I pesonally saw him put it on the dresser) and we went to Sea World. House keeping came and re-made the beds(my husband and I had already made them.)I KNOW they were re-made due to the fact that our personal pillows we put on the bads were no longer on the beds the way we placed them and the Ipod was gone. Spoke with the manager Cindy Albano about the missin Ipod and was assured she would look into it and ask her house keeping staff about the Ipod. This happened on a Saturday and house keeping did not tend to our room Sunday or Monday,after we reported the Ipod missing. We even had to move our own trash and had to go to the front desk to get towels, even ttthough there was house keepin carts and staff on our floor. After we returned home, I called the Best Western organization and filed a complaint and reported the missing Ipod to them. The following afternoon, Ms. Albano alled my daughters phone and said to her,"Non of my staff are thieves and nothing was stolen from your room." and hung up on my daughter.Still waiting to here from the Best Western organization on repot I filed with them.
All in all, hotel was nice, room and location was awesome! Breakfst was really good. Front desk "Matthew" was very nice and helpfull but if you plan to stay there, DO NOT leave any valuable in the room, just might not be there when you get back.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Lani Z
ttribby, Manager at Best Western Alamo Suites, responded to this review, November 15, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to communicate to us why our service did not meet your expectations. We have every desire to address your needs and provide the best solution available to resolve your issue as soon as possible.

The company aims to consistently deliver a professional service to our customers. In addition, we will investigate and further evaluate how we can prevent this problem from occurring again in the future.

Please accept our sincerest apology for any trouble or inconvenience we have caused you.
Again, we highly appreciate your feedback as it will assist us in becoming better at what we do. As with any business like ours, the greatest advertising we can have is word of mouth from a satisfied customer. It’s our goal to retain you as a satisfied customer and will hope to serve you again in the future.
Spencer, TN
Reviewed October 21, 2011

Stayed at Best Western Alamo Suites 10/15/2011 through 10/18/2011 for a short vacation to San Antonio. Hotel was very clean and neat. Front desk staff very helpful and answered all of our questions. Hotel is about 2 miles from downtown but was a very easy walk for us. We never felt unsafe even walking late at night back to the hotel, Price was very reasonable. Breakfast was ok. Breakfast area was crowded on weekend mornings. More chairs or trays to take food to the room would be helpful. Overall very pleased with stay and would stay again. Used interior pool and hot tub which was very nice.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Penny C
Mandan, North Dakota
Reviewed October 16, 2011

I live in ND and needed a motel in San Antonio for several days. I researched MANY accomodations there - looking at price, location (in relation to Sea World, Air Force Base and downtown), breakfast, free parking and accommodations for five in the room. I narrowed down to a few but seemed to come back to this motel as the best one. It was not located in a great part of town but other than that the experience from arrival to departure was excellent!! After several days at the motel we would have liked a variation in the breakfast but we were extremely happy to have a breakfast and it was tastey. The room was large, had a fridge and was very clean. The four staff members that I dealt with were all extremely helpful and polite every time. The breakfast was all good and fresh. The seating was small but we had no problems ever having a spot. The pool area was a little small but very warm and clean. The parking was free with a large lot. The temperature in the room was nice and the beds had new comforters that came only half way up which I love rather than the old awful comforters that motel beds usually have cuz I usually take them off anyway. I would recommend this motel and if I went down there again I would stay love to stay at this motel. We stayed Sept 14 to 19th and it was very warm outside but the motel was a great temperature. I used the laundry facilities and had problems getting the detergent out of the vending machine but I was promptly reimbursed. The stay was very favorable.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank R D
Bolton
Reviewed October 16, 2011

We arrived late evening and check in was a breeze. The staff were friendly and knew their job. The room was one the 3rd floor which was a bit of a problem with 6 suitcases and only one elevator. It meant one had to stay with the car while the others had to que for a while and do shuttle runs with the cases.We had booked a suite which was more than adequte even with 4 adults and all the luggage. The breakfast was very good with plenty of choice.The down side was that there was'nt enough tables so sometimes you had to wait for a table or eat standing up.The car park had video camera monitoring although someone did have theit truck broken into while we were there.There is'nt much to do around the hotel but its a five minute walk to the trolley stop and about 15 minutes walk to downtown which saves on parking costs.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank chorleyk
Bowmanville, Canada
Reviewed September 6, 2011

Very clean rooms, staff very friendly and helpful, continental breakfast was more than sufficient. We were quite surprised at a full size refrigerator in the room. It was a little too close to the interstate, but we were looking for accomodation downtown and this is where we stayed for 4 days.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple