“Left Wanting More”

Ranked #119 of 354 Hotels in San Antonio
Phoenix, Arizona
“Left Wanting More”
Reviewed May 31, 2009

Pluses: Convenient location - close to downtown/riverwalk district, beautiful grounds - looks and feels like a tropical resort, better than average restaurant selection and service - for a Courtyard.

Minuses: The furniture in our room was due for replacement. The pool and hot tub were empty for repairs - the front desk made no mention of it as they honored my request for a poolside room. Thankfully, the nearby Residence Inn let us lounge at their pool. Exercise room is really just an eliptical, two treadmills, dumbells and a bench and was absent a tv when I used it.

Overall, this was the worst experience I have had at a Courtyard; generally I have pretty high regard for the brand. The employees here put in the minimum effort required; I didn't feel like anyone really cared if guests were pleased or not. The exception was in the restaurant. The lady running the restaurant really gets customer service.

Marriott fans don't despair. Adjacent to this Courtyard are both a Fairfield Inn and a Residence Inn. Check prices at all three and go with the best deal. Remember, breakfast is included with lodging at Residence Inn.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Wisconsin
Reviewed May 24, 2009

I stay as a business traveler in Courtyards all of the time. I decided to stay at this courtyard based on its location. That's about all it has going for it.

The beds are entirely uncomfortable, and mine squeaked every time I rolled over. The broadband internet is slow, and there is no wireless. When I told the front desk that my remote control wouldn't work they told me that they would take care of it. It turns out that they changed the batteries and didn't bother to verify that it wasn't broken (as it was). I asked for a bottle opener and was told to bring my bottles to the front desk so they could open them since they only had one bottle opener.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Canada
Reviewed May 10, 2009

First trip to San Antonio and I wanted a hotel reasonably close to downtown, but not right in the centre with matching prices.

This hotel was not the BEST Courtyard I have ever stayed at but not the worst either. It was clean, the beds were comfortable and the staff were helpful if I needed them. Our car was fine there for a week and we followed the instructions to not leave valuables inside - a pretty self-evident request anywhere in the world really...We had a one bedroomed suite and there was plenty of space, internet, fridge and microwave etc. The swimming pool was wonderful for a cool-down swim as it was really hot when we were there.

There are not a lot of restaurants close by but the Trolley (actually a city bus with Yellow Route) on it stops right outside the hotel and is fabulous for getting you to the Riverwalk in a couple of minutes at a cost of $1.10. No worries about parking or driving after a few glasses of wine.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas
Reviewed February 11, 2009

I stayed overnight at this Marriott with my daughter and some other families for a volleyball tournament the next day. The hotel was ok, but we were told on the phone that breakfast was at 6:30AM and in fact on Saturday it doesn't start until 7AM. Since we all had to be at the tournement at 7:15AM, we didn't get breakfast as planned, and the staff made no effort to accomodate even getting us out the door with some to-go fruit or muffins.

That morning, leaving unfed, I found my driver side window shattered and my GPS stolen from the car.

I called in a police report then went to the front desk to get help removing the glass from my seat, as there were small shards covering the front seat and spread elsewhere through the vehicle. The desk attendant seemed rather matter of fact about it, saying break-ins don't normally happen there (do I really need to be told that?), but did summon the maintenance man with a vacuum as I requested.

The maintenance man and a female clerk cleared most of the glass from my vehicle, working diligently to do so, which allowed me to drive it away. I'd already sent my daughter with another family to the tournament.

The breakfast and break in aside, the room was great and so was the location. We walked to the Market Square for dinner the night before, and it was an easy few blocks away. Internet connection was fast and trouble free when i checked email that night. We didn't use the facilities or pool.

I was most unimpressed with the lack of hospitality though. Despite experiencing a break in on their property, Marriott in no way acknowledged it or even said "we're really sorry this happened to you". Other than dispatching the cleanup help, which I had to ask for, it was treated no differently by the desk manager that ordering extra towels would be.

Not that I wanted a free stay or anything, but I had just lost a $500 GPS and incurred a $169 broken window, plus the $55 expense of having the vehicle more thoroughly vacuumed at a detail shop because the small vacuum used by the hotel could not get deep into the fabric or carpeting.

For this reason I give them a 1 on Service, and a 4 on everything else.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Silverado62
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed January 23, 2009

Room was ok but could use some remodeling. Staff was extremely friendly.

• Liked — less then a mile from the riverwalk
  • Disliked — slightly run-down
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
Houston
Reviewed August 12, 2008

Just return and was dissappointed this place is just very average. This hotel needs to provide more consist service. The 3rd floor hallway is dimly lit, the elevator had some kind of strange shake which prompted my wife to tell we should use the stairs, the so-call reasonable breakfast is not reasonable at all considering that a childs meal should not cost as much as an adults. Service staff needs to listen more carefully to questions they are being asked and understand that without the patrons there is no business. They can also be alot more friendly and address people as Sir or Ma'am unless other wise not asked to. The room a/c didn't seem to cool properly and was extrememly loud and the hallway floors and the side entrance doors where dirty. The trash cans outside of those doors where overflowing with trash which of course causes an odor. Sorry to say this hotel will not be on my list of places to stay when we return to San Antonio.

• Liked — The pillows
  • Disliked — The unreasonably priced breakfast.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank BadChoiceGoodChoice
Texas
Reviewed July 7, 2008

My husband and I drove to San Antonio for a getaway over the 4th of July weekend. But we didn't decide on this getaway until three days prior to departure, which made finding accommodations almost impossible.

Initially, we'd booked a room at the Hotel Valencia, but after reading some of the reviews here on TripAdvisor, we canceled our reservation and booked a room at the Courtyard Marriott instead.

I am SO GLAD we did!

The room was more affordable, had a balcony overlooking the courtyard pool, was only a block and 1/2 away from Market Square, had free high-speed internet, and a huge bed with thick, downy pillows. There were palm trees in the courtyard that were full of birds that sang in the mornings, and everything-- from the lobby to the elevators to the hallways in the hotel-- was absolutely spotless.

I'll admit, I was surprised. I expected a standard room, with a slightly lumpy bed, no view, and a hint of mold in the shower. Instead, the tiles were scrubbed so clean they gleamed. There was a massive desk in the room, plenty of lighting, and a nifty coffee maker unlike any I've seen before.

Plus, the parking was free (a rare thing in downtown San Antonio, even at hotels), and the downtown trolley, which will take you anywhere along the Riverwalk for $1, stopped right out front.

The crowning praise for this hotel comes from something they did after we'd already checked out.

I have really bad back problems, so I always take my expensive down pillow with me when we travel. I forgot the pillow in our room when we checked out, and didn't realize it until we were three hours away.

When I called to ask whether they'd found it, and whether I could pay to have the pillow shipped to me, the very helpful staff said they'd be glad to mail it to us at no charge whatsoever. Now that's amazing customer service.

• Liked — Location, Cleanliness, Room Quality, Comfort, Service
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank Kelli S