“Nice hotel, decent location”

Fairfield Inn & Suites San Antonio Downtown/Market Square
Ranked #110 of 357 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed June 17, 2009

Pros: Hotel was very nice. Free parking. Clean rooms, plenty of space, Pool. Breakfast was included and very good- waffles made to order, boiled eggs, muffins, pastries, cereal, oatmeal, yogurt, microwavable breakfast sandwiches. 1 block from trolly/bus stop.
Cons: Breakfast area was always very crowded- often too crowded to sit. This hotel is not on riverwalk- it's about 5 or 6 blocks to Riverwalk and Alamo. 2 blocks to market square.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 11, 2009

Pros: Great hotel. Clean room, comfortable bed, and very friendly service. Receptionist calls your room about 15 min after you check in to make sure everything is up to par. Had a pretty good continental breakfast too.

Cons: Pool is indoors and small. Fitness room is small and not very well equipped. Also, there isn't any cafe or gift shop to purchase anything. Location isn't great but isn't bad. Walking distance to downtown. There is a shuttle that runs to the Riverwalk that costs a dollar $1.25 per person.

Overall: I highly recommend this hotel. Very comfortable, clean room with a very friendly staff.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 24, 2009

I stayed at the San Antonio Fairfield Inn. The room (non-smoking) had a bad smell especially if I turned on the light in the bathroom which automatically ran a fan with a bad odor. I had Pantene products on the first night and Breck on subsequent nights. This hotel did not seem like a Marriott property but a cheaper property. The very small bath towels were scratchy and there is not enough bedding-only a thin comforter and a thin blanket. I would not reccomend this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank apowell
Reviewed September 22, 2008

We stayed one night at the Fairfield Inn Downtown/Market Square San Antonio. While the room was clean; it had an overall musty smell, but we got acclimated to it pretty quickly. The staff was very friendly and we were able to check in when we arrive around 12:30, even though checkin was not until 3. The bed was very comfortable; the shower very nice; and the breakfast about what you'd expect from a Fairfield; cereal, bagels/muffins, fruit, and boiled eggs. There was a Texas-shaped waffle maker as well. The hotel is pretty close to the Riverwalk/Alamo area, but not within walking distance. Be warned that parking in the Riverwalk area cost us $10 for a couple of hours (same price for 0-4 hours of parking time after 5 PM). Overall, a good option for a reasonably clean, convenient place to stay in San Antonio; but nothing spectacular.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed August 20, 2008

Our stay at this hotel on August 16-17, 2008 was ok, but wish it had been better. The hotel does show it's age. It looks worn inside.
After we arrived we gathered all of our things on a luggage dolley to take to our room on the 4th floor. As luck would have it right then the elevator- the only one- broke down. I carried most of the items up the steps to the room on the 4th floor, and then the key card would not work, and I tried them both multiple times. Thanks for cell phones I called the other person in my party downstairs to inform her about the card problem. A clerk did bring up a new card along with some remaining luggage.

On the second night the key card again did not work. At the desk I let them know the problem, and while I was wating for a simple key card the other clerk felt a need to make inquiries of my stay which I found very intrusive. Said he was trying to have small talk.

Staff is reasonably friendly. Could have been more so. Would be helpful. Just smile, let us know you are there if we need anything, and don't be nosey.

Overall it was ok. A bed to sleep on, a tv that worked, hot and cold water, and the toilet did not overflow. Oh, there is no covered drive up area at the door as most hotels do have. So if it's raining you are going to get wet. It is an older hotel. It shows. The staff gets better in the morning, or it seemed with us. It's tolerable, but I will look for something not so old. From the outside it looks fine.

Stayed: August 2008
3  Thank hoosiertex58
Reviewed July 5, 2008

I was happy with my stay here. Staff was very welcoming and greeted us each time we came through the door. The room is basic but has all the necessities and feels clean. For the money I paid I was more than satisfied. For those that have stayed at other Marriotts like the Residence Inn the food options might not seem as great, but you are also paying less so I have no complaints in that department.

I just wish the architect had added some stairs because the one elevator is a pain to wait for when you just need to go up a flight or two.

Stayed: July 2008
1  Thank 9,653
Reviewed June 19, 2008

I do not agree with all the negative reviews, maybe they have corrected the problems cited. We found it to be a very good hotel with excellent service, good location for 'streetcar' and plenty of free parking. I thought breakfast was a bit better than most Fairfields I visited recently with two very attentive attendants.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)