Fairfield Inn & Suites San Antonio Downtown/Market Square
Ranked #116 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed October 24, 2013

I stayed here during my recent visit to San Antonio, to attend Best Western Convention. Very nice place to stay, good location, good staff, courteous GM

Every morning excellent breakfast is served in lobby

I would strongly recommend

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank Ravi B
Andrew C, Front Office Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites San Antonio Downtown/Market Square, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us in San Antonio. We look forward to your next stay

Reviewed October 7, 2013

I stayed here two nights in Oct 2013. I was greeted by Niya at the front desk at check in. She was very professional, friendly and offered tips for the area and cold water. ( it was about 92 hot degrees). I was upgraded to a nice suite with refrigerator. This hotel is a little bit of a walk to the River walk and other areas of interest. I had the complimentary buffet breakfast one morning it was decent. San Antonio is a great city and I enjoyed walking the city and happy hour at Ruth's Chris and a decent meal at Mi Tierra ( nearby and recommended by Niya). I would stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank FXTIP

Reviewed September 30, 2013

Ok, so you must be thinking Fairfield Inn, how good could it be? At least that is what I was thinking. Since my initial visit last year, I and my group have returned many, many times for weekends in San Antonio and are overwhelmed with the staff. They smile, love their jobs and the guests, are willing to do whatever it takes to make your stay better, have clean rooms, a good breakfast buffet, are within walking distance to Market Square and the Riverwalk, and are just 1/4 mile from the entrance to I-10 and highway 35. The rates are very reasonable and this hotel remains the best kept secret in San Antonio!

Room Tip: Second floor is quieter
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank MCohen2013

Reviewed September 14, 2013

This was our second stay at the location and while we were satisfied on our first visit, the property has been completely renovated since then. The rooms are fresh and stylish, the corridors are well lit and have fresh carpet and wall coverings, and the staff is very friendly and helpful ( cudos to Niya, the night host, who really made us feel welcomed when checking in at 10:30 p.m. After a 6 hour drive) and the gentleman who takes care of guests in the breakfast area who refilled my large coffee when I had my hands full with b'fasts for the family sleeping in.

The room was a king suite with a pull out double and with also feature 2 large flat screen TVs, mini fridge, microwave, free wifi that actually worked properly with speed, and enough plugs to handle all our computer recharging needs. You can spend 3 times as much on rooms in the downtown area, but this property is well located withing walking or trolley distance from the Alamo, Riverwalk, Mercado, Southtown, etc.

I'm a picky critic and the older I get the more I voice my opinion, but I can truly say this is property is on par with the Courtyard or SpringHill Suites. I think we have found a home in San Antonio.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank texmarc
Andrew C, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites San Antonio Downtown/Market Square, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. It is a pleasure to see you enjoyed your stay with us, and enjoy our newly renovated rooms. We look forward to seeing you next time you are in the Alamo city!

Reviewed September 7, 2013

Location:
Pros: The hotel is easy to get to by car through I-35, since it’s only a couple of blocks away from the highway. There is free parking, which can get really expensive in downtown. It is also a couple of blocks away from Mi Tierra, a must-visit restaurant that has some of the best Mexican food in town, and it’s always packed to the walls even though it’s open 24/7.

Cons: It’s about a 15-minute walk to the heart of the Riverwalk, which we didn’t mind, but can get rough during the hot summer months.

Parking:
Parking is free, but with a sold out hotel, you might have to park at the end of the lot which they share with the Residence Inn, and walk quite a bit by parking lot standards. However, they do have a few reserved spots right by the entrance which are reserved for Marriott Platinum members. Then again I probably wouldn’t stay at this hotel if I was Platinum and could get upgraded at a nicer hotel.

Check-in:
Check-in was very easy and friendly. We were given 2 adjoining rooms on the top floor (4th) right near the elevators, which at first was a concern to me because of foot traffic, but I was surprised not to have heard anything all night. The elevator is also an issue. There is only one elevator, and it is extremely slow. Be ready to invest a good 5 minutes at peak traffic time to go from the top floor to the lobby, so I would just take the stairs whenever possible.

Room:
The room was pretty spacious with a large common area with a sofa bed, TV, fridge and microwave, etc. The bathroom was pretty standard, although we had requested a room for 4 people, but somehow the bathroom only had 3 towels and a small bottle of shampoo, so we had to ask for more toiletries and towels.

The rooms have a pretty glaring design flaw (at least the two rooms we saw). When you open the sofa bed for someone to sleep in it, it completely blocks the bed area access, so if you have someone sleeping on the sofa bed, you can’t get up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom or get some water from the fridge unless you climb over them.

Also, our family’s room next door had two mirrors in the room (besides the bathroom’s), but ours didn’t have any, and our closet door was completely missing. It’s almost as if our room was in the process of being finished. Go figure.

The hotel has a small indoors pool which we tried, but the water seemed dirty, had excess chlorine, or both. The floor around the pool was very slippery, so I would caution management to address that problem immediately. There is a small gym on premises, although we didn't visit. Internet and breakfast are free.

Breakfast:
Breakfast on Sunday morning was a complete disaster. They serve breakfast on Sunday mornings from 7:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. We went downstairs at around 9:30 a.m. and basically walked into a zoo. There was a 20-person line, the area was completely crowded and had standing room only with barely any room to even walk around.

There was no place to sit and the line to reach the food was really long. The sitting area and lobby are very nice and they’re very nicely decorated, but it can’t handle a sold out hotel. The hotel staff was very friendly and attentive and were doing the best they could to manage the crowd, but they were in over their heads. The food itself was your standard free buffet food, but it was ok and had enough variety. It was free, so not much complaining here.

Conclusion:
The hotel was good for a bed spot. It isn’t in the best location and there is nothing earth-shattering about it, but given what we needed it for, the bonus points offered, the free parking and free crowded breakfast, it was just fine with us and it was definitely a lot less expensive than other hotels located in prime location by the Riverwalk. If you have access to a car, this is a good hotel to stay at if you want to check out downtown San Antonio.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are glad to see you were able to enjoy the service you received during your stay. We appreaciate all the comments you provided, and plan on using them to help improve the hotel. We hope to see you again in the future!

Reviewed August 6, 2013

We drove from Tempe, Az to San Antonio in one day and were so glad to arrive at the Fairfield Inn. The reception we received was typical of Marriott. Great job! Our room was perfect and very comfortable.

This time my husband left a very expensive camera in the room and when we contacted the hotel, housekeeping had just turned it in. Kudos to Josie and Niya for the great job.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank D L O
Andrew C, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites San Antonio Downtown/Market Square, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2013

Thank you for reviewing our hotel. We are glad we were able to live up to the Marriott standard and provide you with great service! We hope to see you again next time you find yourself in the Alamo city!

Reviewed July 31, 2013

We had drove in from Austin and arrived at the hotel (which was a breeze to find I assure you) at about 10:30am. We were aware of the check in time being 3pm, but thought we would check to see if we could check in early not really expecting it to happen. To our surprise, the front desk manager (I have forgotten his name, but I think it may have been Brandon...if it isn't, I sincerely apologize) was at the desk and was extremely friendly and even let us check in! We were very pleased, and he also took the time to explain to us about the continental breakfast and the amenities the hotel had to offer. The indoor pool was one of the many things that stole my heart. We went in January and It was an absolute pleasure to get to go swimming in a winter month (although Texas' winters are hardly existent lol). It smelled a little too high of chlorine, but all in all it was completely satisfactory. The room was cleaned with excellence, everything in the room looked to be up to date as well as in the bathroom. It was a pleasure being in the room and having the AC blowing out the air at our desired temperature. Another great thing about this place was that they do not charge for their parking! If you aren't already aware this place is absolutely conveniently located to all the good stuff in downtown San Antonio, which was our reasoning for going there to begin with. With our early check in, we were able to put our things in the room, and enjoy the rest of the day at the Riverwalk and Market Square and not have to worry about parking, since we just walked our way around. The breakfast was excellent as well with a great variety of different items, both hot and cold, to choose from. The staff was more than accommodating with everything, kudos to you all! I definitely recommend staying at this hotel if your desires are to be treated with respect and not looked at as just another customer walking through the door. Great job, guys! I will definitely be back to see yall again! :)

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank PinkPower2005

Thank you so much for staying with us and writing such a wonderful review of our hotel. We are pleased that you were able to enjoy your time with us, and hope to see you again next time you are in San Antonio!