Pros: The hotel is easy to get to by car through I-35, since it’s only a couple of blocks away from the highway. There is free parking, which can get really expensive in downtown. It is also a couple of blocks away from Mi Tierra, a must-visit restaurant that has some of the best Mexican food in town, and it’s always packed to the walls even though it’s open 24/7.
Cons: It’s about a 15-minute walk to the heart of the Riverwalk, which we didn’t mind, but can get rough during the hot summer months.
Parking is free, but with a sold out hotel, you might have to park at the end of the lot which they share with the Residence Inn, and walk quite a bit by parking lot standards. However, they do have a few reserved spots right by the entrance which are reserved for Marriott Platinum members. Then again I probably wouldn’t stay at this hotel if I was Platinum and could get upgraded at a nicer hotel.
Check-in was very easy and friendly. We were given 2 adjoining rooms on the top floor (4th) right near the elevators, which at first was a concern to me because of foot traffic, but I was surprised not to have heard anything all night. The elevator is also an issue. There is only one elevator, and it is extremely slow. Be ready to invest a good 5 minutes at peak traffic time to go from the top floor to the lobby, so I would just take the stairs whenever possible.
The room was pretty spacious with a large common area with a sofa bed, TV, fridge and microwave, etc. The bathroom was pretty standard, although we had requested a room for 4 people, but somehow the bathroom only had 3 towels and a small bottle of shampoo, so we had to ask for more toiletries and towels.
The rooms have a pretty glaring design flaw (at least the two rooms we saw). When you open the sofa bed for someone to sleep in it, it completely blocks the bed area access, so if you have someone sleeping on the sofa bed, you can’t get up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom or get some water from the fridge unless you climb over them.
Also, our family’s room next door had two mirrors in the room (besides the bathroom’s), but ours didn’t have any, and our closet door was completely missing. It’s almost as if our room was in the process of being finished. Go figure.
The hotel has a small indoors pool which we tried, but the water seemed dirty, had excess chlorine, or both. The floor around the pool was very slippery, so I would caution management to address that problem immediately. There is a small gym on premises, although we didn't visit. Internet and breakfast are free.
Breakfast on Sunday morning was a complete disaster. They serve breakfast on Sunday mornings from 7:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. We went downstairs at around 9:30 a.m. and basically walked into a zoo. There was a 20-person line, the area was completely crowded and had standing room only with barely any room to even walk around.
There was no place to sit and the line to reach the food was really long. The sitting area and lobby are very nice and they’re very nicely decorated, but it can’t handle a sold out hotel. The hotel staff was very friendly and attentive and were doing the best they could to manage the crowd, but they were in over their heads. The food itself was your standard free buffet food, but it was ok and had enough variety. It was free, so not much complaining here.
The hotel was good for a bed spot. It isn’t in the best location and there is nothing earth-shattering about it, but given what we needed it for, the bonus points offered, the free parking and free crowded breakfast, it was just fine with us and it was definitely a lot less expensive than other hotels located in prime location by the Riverwalk. If you have access to a car, this is a good hotel to stay at if you want to check out downtown San Antonio.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The newly-renovated Fairfield Inn & Suites San Antonio Downtown is located off I-10/35, making Sea World, Six Flags, the Alamo, and the metropolitan area easily accessible. Just a short walk from Market Square and the Alamo, our downtown hotel features a redesigned lobby equipped with free WiFi and 24-hour Market. Start your day off right with a free breakfast buffet each morning then take a dip in our indoor pool. Each guest room features Marriott signature bedding, ergonomic workspace, free WiFi and flat-screen TV with free HBO. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Marriott, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotwire, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and Hotel.de so you can book your Fairfield Inn & Suites San Antonio Downtown/Market Square reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Fairfield Inn San Antonio Downtown/Market Square Hotel San Antonio
- Fairfield Inn Market Square
- Fairfield San Antonio
- San Antonio Fairfield Inn