Fairfield Inn & Suites San Antonio Downtown/Market Square
Ranked #115 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed June 22, 2012

We had originally booked to stay at another hotel, closer to our actual destination, but upon arrival at that hotel, we were horrified at the conditions and I immediately booked this as our back-up plan for 2 nights. I am a rewards member of this hotel chain and booked the nights through my rewards points, well after 1am. Upon arrival at the hotel, we were greeted swiftly, the clerk attended to our every need (including going into empty rooms looking for our special foam pillows) as housekeeping had left for the night and settled us. We were exhausted and the beds here are DIVINE; what a welcome relief! The next morning, we learned there had been a mix up on the website with the booking of the room and it had only booked for the 1 night instead of 2 because I had booked so late (or rather early!) and so we needed to book the room for another night. Rather than charge us the full rate for the night, the attendant gave us a 1/2 rate because of the mix-up! Each day we were sent on our way with beverages and fruit and the stay was very enjoyable. Quite the departure from my first horrified glance at the first hotel!

Room Tip: when I stay in the downtown San Antonio area, I always request a room away from the elevators and th...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Management response:Responded July 10, 2012

Thank you very much for the wonderful review of our hotel and Staff!! It was a pleasure hosting you. We are so pleased that you enjoyed our location, as well as the service our staff provided. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to San Antonio. Again, thank you!

Reviewed June 17, 2012

We were extremely pleased with this hotel and its staff. We stayed 3 nights for a family vacation. Upon arrival, we were given bottled water and snacks. The front desk staff gave us directions to our destinations, and we were greeted with a smile each time we came in. The first morning as we came down for breakfast, a manager asked how the room was. I said all was good, but mentioned that the water came out of the sink faucet a little too strong and splashed a lot. I didn't really mean to complain, just thought they would want to know. By the time we returned that evening, the faucet was fixed. They left us a bag with candy, and a note stating that repairs had been made! This Fairfield is conveniently located, only a couple minutes drive to downtown/riverwalk/The Alamo. The rooms are clean, comfortable and well kept. My kids enjoyed the indoor heated pool each night, and Texas shaped waffles at breakfast. Also, there is no charge for wireless internet access. Overall, the Fairfield is the best for the price, and this one has an excellent staff!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Management response:Responded July 10, 2012

Reviewed May 23, 2012

I was there on business and on the third and last night I was there I was robbed. We went to dinner and when we came back I had two laptops missing. Both equalled a value of over $3.000. The hotel has no cameras anywhere. I am pretty sure I was set up. It was the WORST experience I have ever had and I will not return to San Antonio because of it. If you have children please do not stay here. We left and went to the Hyatt and it was so much better. I know that someone with key access stole the computers. The staff was not helpful at all. The police told us that it was the third time that this has happened that month! Please be aware!!

Room Tip: I would not advise anyone to stay here.
2  Thank Jennifer S
Adriana V, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites San Antonio Downtown/Market Square, responded to this reviewResponded May 26, 2012

Thank you for your review of your recent stay in our hotel. Please know that the security of our guests is of the utmost importance and we took prompt actions with authorities as it relates to your experience. We have been working diligently with the San Antonio Police Department about the unfortunate incidents. Know that we have increased security patrols and installed anti-theft protective plates to each of the doors at the hotel. Unfortunately we have been part of a recent rash of hotel break-ins in the Downtown San Antonio Area. The San Antonio Police Department has made an arrest and it has been determined that these were not linked to any employee or in any way an inside job. We appreciate all guest feedback, both positive and negative, as it aids us in providing the service you expect and to ensure all future guests have a safe and comfortable stay.

Reviewed May 22, 2012

My girlfriend and I take a trip every year and leave the hubbies at home. This year was San Antonio. We booked this hotel not knowing exactly how far from Riverwalk. The good news is it is a block and a half from the Alamo. It is a little far to Riverwalk, so plan on bringing good walking shoes....We did not mind the walk, we like to walk. Now about the hotel. Our room was super clean, very new feeling! The breakfast had enough of a variety to satisfy us for 4 days of our stay. The staff at the hotel were AWESOME!! Here is the first example. The night we got there we were having problems printing off a confirmation for tickets we had, without even asking, a staff member came over to help us. Every question we had about where to go, where to eat, or anything..the staff treated us like we were their friend!!! The day we left, which was May 20 our pre-paid shuttle was supposed to pick us up at 4 pm. It never showed, the valet, guest service guy (I wish I would have gotten his name) kept asking us if there was anything he could to help. We called the shuttle 3 times and they kept saying 10 minutes. The valet guy went in and the front desk guy and he asked if their was anything he could do...Then the valet guy even asked us if we wanted him to get us some water while we waited! Then, we finally asked him to help get us a taxi and he did right away.. Please Fairfield management could you please thank the valet guy for all his help!!! We did but, I feel he should be recognized by his mgr. I would stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Adriana V, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites San Antonio Downtown/Market Square, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2012

Thank you for your wonderful review of our staff and our hotel! We are so pleased that you enjoyed our location, as well as the service our breakfast staff provided. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to San Antonio!

Reviewed May 4, 2012

I stayed at the Fairfield on business and had a great experience. The friendly staff makes this a wonderful hotel experience as the hotel itself is the usual "Fairfield". The location is very central, and there are some great restaurants within walking distance. It will always be my first choice when I return to San Antonio.

Room Tip: All the rooms are fine
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Adriana V, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites San Antonio Downtown/Market Square, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2012

Reviewed April 19, 2012

The first night my wife and I stayed here it wasn't the best. Our refrigerator was extremely loud (louder than the AC) and wasn't cold at all. The AC didn't do a great job at keeping the room cool, shutting off before making any headway into lowering the overal temperature. We are polar bears and the temp was too high to get any quality of sleep. The next day I approached the front desk about our concerns. The ladies at the front were super apologetic and offered to have maintenance come and check out the room.
Upon returning to the hotel maintenance had replaced our fridge with one that was quite capable of keeping our food cold however the AC still seemed to struggle.
I felt slightly hesitant approaching the front again, not wanting to be a complainer (lets be honest these are first world problems) but really couldn't have another night like the one before.
The staff again were quick to respond. They moved our room to one that was bigger and had a brand new AC (Apparently they were updating all the rooms and maybe hadn't reached our original yet). They didn't stop there offering us some extra rewards points for the trouble and continued checking on us throughout the week to make sure our stay was the best it could be.

I am a firm believer that you can't always control your environment; what you can control is how you react to it. The ladies, Ragen, Samantha, Adriana and Melissa were amazing to work with and treated us to customer service you would come to expect from Marriott properties.

If you are looking for a cost effective place to stay in Downtown San Antonio, don't pass up the Fairfield Inn.

Joshua L.

1  Thank JLegare
Adriana V, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites San Antonio Downtown/Market Square, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2012

Thank you for your wonderful review of our staff and our hotel! We are so pleased that you enjoyed our location, as well as the service our staff provided. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to San Antonio! We miss you already, Your Fairfield Inn by Marriott Staff

Reviewed April 7, 2012

This Fairfield Inn and Suites near Market Square was a decent place to stay. It provided a good place to sleep while touring San Antonio. The value was good and it was located in a very quiet area. The morning breakfast was very good. You are close to Market Square and within a 20 minute walk to the River walk.

Room Tip: My room was on the top floor and it was very quiet.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank codysmomnow
Adriana V, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites San Antonio Downtown/Market Square, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2012