Well, if I had booked and stayed in a river walk room with a good rate this probably would have been 5 stars. If we had to stay in the original room, probably 2 stars.
The location is a good 10-15 min walk along the river to the first bars / food which although is pleasant I wouldn't want to be a group of lady travellers or elderly as there were some weird people either asking for money or just being rude, obviously homeless. Parking as mentioned is 15 dollars which to be fair isn't bad, straight across the road and purely for hotel guests.
The biggest issue I have is as a gold elite member you are supposed to get an upgrade if available. Checked in, no request to ask if I was a rewards member, I showed the card and asked if the points could be registered, the gentleman checking me in actually said, thanks for being a gold member so assumed a nice room would await us... Went to the room and was gob smacked at the view of the car park, not a nice one either! I mean, to say river walk, pictures of views on website and then to sell a room with that view? We rang down and was told immediately that yes, we have a river view room and come down and we will swap you, simple as that. The new room was fantastic but if I hadn't gone to raise the issue, we would have spent a considerable amount of money on a view that I could have had in a hotel half the price. I'm glad the staff were happy to move us though so that's a bonus. Please pay the extra and get a river walk view, not that it's a full view but it's lovely and peaceful at the back of the hotel.
Staff were ok, mainly chatting or looking quite bored... The only person that stood out was the bar manager.. I was overwhelmed with how friendly and professional he was, even the way he showed a new starter in the bar the ropes was exceptional.
Only two sun loungers for the pool, the pool gets sun in only half the area and by 5pm it's gone. Air con was good but if you have a river walk view with balcony, the heat from the air con unit obviously blows out heat and becomes too hot to keep it switched on when you sit on the balcony.
I do think there are better hotels but if you want a river view and don't mind the walk into the main area, you can't go wrong for the price. Just some niggles with the staff in my opinion. If you get a car park view, I'd stay closer to the centre and take the hit on the view as unless you pay a fortune, you aren't going to get a great view anywhere, stay in the centre as opposed to river walk.
Great city though!
Ps pillows very hard! Like bricks in fact..
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome the Hotel Indigo San Antonio Riverwalk, an intriguing branded boutique hotel delivering peace and renewal to people who are tired of mundane cookie-cutter hotels. Meandering along the threshold of the Riverwalk in the downtown area you will find yourself close by the Museum of Art, Alamo, El Mercado, Southwest School of Arts & Crafts, Rivercenter Mall, Henry B. Gonzales Convention Center, Alamodome, Municipal Auditorium, and Majestic Theater. Local businesses include AT&T, Baptist Hospital, Methodist Healthcare Systems, Fort Sam Houston, Brooke Army Medical Center, Kelly USA, and Lackland AFB. Imagine a 100% smoke free, sophisticated boutique hotel, whose focus is delivering guest peace, serenity and renewal. Experience true Texas hospitality at this jewel just a short stroll to restaurants and bars. Hotel Indigo offers a blend of modern contemporary living with the best in hotel hospitality. Curl up in our over-sized beds with plush bedding, duvets, pillow shams and fluffy pillows. Complimentary WiFi is at your fingertips. Relax and enjoy our Bridges Bar & Bistro for cutting edge cuisine or grab a latte where we proudly brew coffee from a local company. The Hotel Indigo San Antonio Riverwalk has been designed as an oasis for travelers who yearn for an escape from the common hotel, but still need the convenience of a fitness center, pool and restaurant. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Hotwire, IHG, Hotels.com, Priceline, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Hotel.de, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hotel Indigo San Antonio Riverwalk reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hawthorn Suites San Antonio
- San Antonio Hawthorn Suites