“Generous 4 stars”

Ranked #51 of 355 Hotels in San Antonio
newcastle
“Generous 4 stars”
Reviewed July 22, 2014

Well, if I had booked and stayed in a river walk room with a good rate this probably would have been 5 stars. If we had to stay in the original room, probably 2 stars.
The location is a good 10-15 min walk along the river to the first bars / food which although is pleasant I wouldn't want to be a group of lady travellers or elderly as there were some weird people either asking for money or just being rude, obviously homeless. Parking as mentioned is 15 dollars which to be fair isn't bad, straight across the road and purely for hotel guests.
The biggest issue I have is as a gold elite member you are supposed to get an upgrade if available. Checked in, no request to ask if I was a rewards member, I showed the card and asked if the points could be registered, the gentleman checking me in actually said, thanks for being a gold member so assumed a nice room would await us... Went to the room and was gob smacked at the view of the car park, not a nice one either! I mean, to say river walk, pictures of views on website and then to sell a room with that view? We rang down and was told immediately that yes, we have a river view room and come down and we will swap you, simple as that. The new room was fantastic but if I hadn't gone to raise the issue, we would have spent a considerable amount of money on a view that I could have had in a hotel half the price. I'm glad the staff were happy to move us though so that's a bonus. Please pay the extra and get a river walk view, not that it's a full view but it's lovely and peaceful at the back of the hotel.
Staff were ok, mainly chatting or looking quite bored... The only person that stood out was the bar manager.. I was overwhelmed with how friendly and professional he was, even the way he showed a new starter in the bar the ropes was exceptional.
Only two sun loungers for the pool, the pool gets sun in only half the area and by 5pm it's gone. Air con was good but if you have a river walk view with balcony, the heat from the air con unit obviously blows out heat and becomes too hot to keep it switched on when you sit on the balcony.
I do think there are better hotels but if you want a river view and don't mind the walk into the main area, you can't go wrong for the price. Just some niggles with the staff in my opinion. If you get a car park view, I'd stay closer to the centre and take the hit on the view as unless you pay a fortune, you aren't going to get a great view anywhere, stay in the centre as opposed to river walk.
Great city though!
Ps pillows very hard! Like bricks in fact..

Room Tip: River walk
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Stephendon32

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
Greenville,tx
Reviewed July 19, 2014 via mobile

We stayed and the hotel indigo on the riverwalk not the one by the Alamo. The rooms were clean which isn't always the case in a pet friendly hotel. The staff was friendly and helpful. The food from room service was horrible but other that that it is a great place to stay!

Stayed July 2014
Elkins Park, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 19, 2014

When we arrived at the hotel my heart sank because the neighborhood looked sketchy. But I felt better once I walked through the spacious art deco lobby. I was relieved to find the stairs that lead down to the river walk. However this is a quiet part of the walk and u have to walk along it for about 10 mins before reaching the restaurants and shops, which is fine. After the hustle and bustle its nice to come back to a quiet place. Nice lobby and bar but there's no complementary coffee and parking is $15/day. Pool is way too small. Room was clean and spacious. Staff was nice and helpful, particularly Renee.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Debra S
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed July 19, 2014

Stayed four nights on business. Three story, older building that has been totally remodeled inside. Hotel is on a less traveled part of the river walk. Expect to walk 15-20 minutes in either direction for dining but it is a pleasant walk or you can take a river taxi which stops at the hotel. King bed rooms are large and well laid out. Small wet bar with Keureg coffee maker. Sleep quality was very good, there was literally no noise after about 9 PM. Lots of families with kids and also a good number of business travelers. Nice little bar and bistro. Had breakfast there each morning for about 10-15 dollars. Good service at the bar and in the bistro. I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Third floor is very quiet.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Austin
Reviewed July 15, 2014

Very nice and unique hotel. It's easy to get to, very close to the AT&T Center, right on the Riverwalk. Comfortable bed, nice shower. I would definitely recommend and return. My two interactions with the staff were less than positive, however. One was condescending, the other made us wait while she chatted away on the phone. Other than that, our stay was excellent.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bluebird1313
Beaumont, Texas, United States
Reviewed July 7, 2014

If you are looking for a hotel that is like all the others....keep looking! Hotel Indigo is fun, beautiful, and quiet. The pictures on the website are true to what you see. BEWARE: There are 2 types of balconies. Juliet balcony, which is very small, and really no seating area. Then there is the large balcony which you see in the pictures with furniture. Make sure which one you will get with your reservation. Yes, parking is across the street, but I was fine with that. The decor was very nice and contemporary. The breakfast buffet was tasty, with a good variety. (approx. $15) We had dinner out. The pool is small with some seating area around it. There is also the seating area, outside of the pool area, that you see in the pictures. You really CAN'T see the RW from here as you have to walk down to it, but really, ? who cares ? We enjoyed this area in the evening, as well as coffee in the a.m. If you wish to have a drink, the bar is right inside the door and the bartender was attentive to our needs. (yes, there is some construction going on across the RW but since this is almost completed, we did not hear any noise) The ROOMS: I was in 201. It is at the very end of the hall, (I asked for a quiet room away from the elevators) king bed, 2 windows facing the courtyard and the 3rd facing the street. I did not spend much time in the room, but when I did there was no street noise. If you need a view, this is not the room for you. If you like an oversized room....request this one! The floors were beautiful and the room itself was great. The bed was a little on the firm side but comfortable. I am a coffee lover, so the Keurig in the room was superb!! I liked that they had real cups and not styrofoam. There is a fridge but no microwave. Another BEWARE: There is no bathtub! I knew this, but you may not. The bathroom is small but clean, and for those who need a shower head way up in the clouds, you get that here!! I am a fan of the thermostat on the wall.... The RIVERWALK: With a bit of looking into it, you would know that this hotel is located at the "not so busy" end of the RW. It was my preference. Walking to the restaurants and attractions is not a bad walk at all. I was with a group, but would have felt safe walking by myself during the day. (I did not walk at night, so I can't report on that) There are water taxis. It does stop at the Indigo as well as other places along the RW. You can buy a 24 hour pass, with unlimited rides. I felt I wasted $10. We waited for a taxi to come by for 30 minutes when we were ready to return to the hotel. We ended up walking back... The boats do have a few umbrellas, but if you don't do well in the sun/ heat then I don't recommend it. I DO recommend the trolley. You can catch it just around the corner, behind the hotel. It can be pricey @ $1.10 per ride/person. Make sure you check the hours. It does not run past 10 p.m. I much preferred the trolley over the water taxi. If you like BBQ I recommend the County Line located on the RW. Wrapping it all up, this is a hotel that I would recommend to families, couples and like me, a place for a reunion of friends! I don't think you will be disappointed. (Don't hesitate to ask me if you have any questions)

Room Tip: Room 201...corner room, large w/3 windows. No view...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
4 Thank lover_of_musik
Center, Texas
Reviewed July 7, 2014

Hotel is really nice inside and out! Rooms are really nice with the wood floors, nice big shower, fridge, but no microwave and we had a room with a big balcony. We stayed in room 252. Never had our room cleaned while there since we put the do not disturb sign on our door. The last night we stayed there the neighbors above us were VERY loud. Sounded like they were working out going back and forth stomping. My husband sounded like Godzilla was doing insanity above us. If I stayed here again I would request the top floor. The walk was not far from all of the stores and busy part of the river walk or the Alamo, about a ten minute walk. We walked there each day we were there. Gate to the river walk closes every night at 11pm so you may find yourself walking above the river walk on the main roads. Not too bad though. Parking is $15 per night but you can leave your car there the whole time. There is really no where else to park around the town unless you want to pay between $10-30 for parking which you can only leave your vehicle there for a few hours. So we chose to walk everywhere. I would stay here again if I came to San Antonio again.

Room Tip: Request the top floor if you want to have a good nights sleep.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family