“No compassion for emergency cancellation”

Econo Lodge Inn & Suites Downtown Northeast
Ranked #165 of 354 Hotels in San Antonio
Dallas
“No compassion for emergency cancellation”
Reviewed August 3, 2007

We had booked a mini-vacation to San Antonio for the weekend of Aug. 3rd for my husband and I, and our two children. We were driving half way on Friday night and the rest of the way Saturday morning. Late Friday afternoon before we were to leave, we got news that a family member had become ill and was being taken to the hospital. We thought it would be okay to still take our trip and then we got a call that my aunt's condition was grave and she was not expected to make it through the night. We decided to cancel our trip. I called the first Econolodge in Temple, TX, and they were very gracious and agreed to cancel our reservations with no penalty even though our reservations were for THAT VERY NIGHT. Next I called the Econolodge in San Antonio, for which we were not due to check in until 2pm the following day. They declined to cancel the reservation quoting policy. I tried the 800 number and was told there was nothing they could do and I tried the Customer Relations number and was told there was nothing they could do. It seems this is a franchise and they can pretty much do as they wish. In all fairness, the cancellation time was 4pm on Friday and it was almost 8pm when I called. But we didn't get the news that my aunt was ill until 5:30pm and we had no idea how serious it was until after 7pm. I know the rules are there for the hotel's protection, but rules can be bent in extreme situations. Compassion has a place in all dealings - even business. I will never call this hotel again. With such insensitive handling of a situation, I can only imagine how they might treat their guests. It was a choice I had to make and I'm glad I did because my aunt passed away from septic shock the next day. It just hurts my feelings that they couldn't have been more understanding.

Stayed August 2007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Travelers also viewed these San Antonio hotels
#263 of 354 in San Antonio
Super 8 - San Antonio at I-10
Super 8 - San Antonio at I-10
#244 of 354 in San Antonio

Been to Econo Lodge Inn & Suites Downtown Northeast? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Econo Lodge Inn & Suites Downtown Northeast

Property: Econo Lodge Inn & Suites Downtown Northeast
Address: 2755 North Panam Expressway, I-35 North, San Antonio, TX 78208
Location: United States > Texas > San Antonio
#93 Business Hotel in San Antonio
Hotel Class:2 star — Econo Lodge Inn & Suites Downtown Northeast 2*
Located on the edge of northeast of downtown of San Antonio . We have 48 major renovated rooms to offer including suites. With all LED televisions, in rooms safe and hair dryer. complimentary wifi and continental breakfast. Our goal is 100% guest satisfaction. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Hotwire, Priceline, Choice Hotels, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Cancelon, HotelsClick, HotelQuickly and TripOnline SA so you can book your Econo Lodge Inn & Suites Downtown Northeast reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Econo Lodge San Antonio