“almost like home”

Ranked #33 of 354 Hotels in San Antonio
Winnipeg Canada
“almost like home”
Reviewed March 7, 2010

The room was large and clean, TV swiveled between living room and bed, kitchenette was well equipped, bed comfortable. Breakfast excellent (hot and cold items) and it was included. Staff was caring, friendly and attentive to all needs. Convention centre was a 10 minute walk away and Rivercentre Mall and River Walk about 5 minutes walk.

Felt safe during day and early evening walking alone - female traveller. At night I took a cab back but if I was with a group or my spouse, wouldn't have been a problem to walk.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
jerseybum1
Reviewed March 4, 2010

I had the pleasure of spending 3 and a half months at the Residence Inn Alamo Plaza in downtown San Antonio. As far as service is concerned, I've stayed at 5 star hotels and been on expensive cruises where the service didn't come close. All the staff consistently go out of their way to make sure you're enjoying you're stay and that you have everything you need. The few times I decided to forego maid service they almost seemed upset they wouldn't get to clean my room that day. Don't get me wrong it's still a chain hotel and nothing very lux but I was overall very impressed with the staff.

Breakfast every day is nice although my job here has me showing up at 6AM most days before the breakfast starts, but it's a pretty standard hot continental type deal.
Mon-Wed there is a social dinner deal with anything from Make your own nachos to chicken tenders to chicken sandwiches and usually some salad. Beer and Franzia are also available at no charge.

As my stay is relatively long, the small gym (2 nice treadmills, 1 not so nice eliptical, 1 bike and some random dumbbells) wasn't making do so I asked if I could use the gym at the big marriot rivercenter hotel a 3 minute walk from the residence inn. I headed over and the manager hooked me up with a card to use the gym and pool area my entire stay here, very nice! They have a much bigger selection of nautilus equip and more cardio stuff, plus the indoor pool + whirlpool and sauna is a nice bonus.

Lastly, the location. At first glance and still overall: Awesome. Downtown San Antonio is a lot of fun, you're a block and a half from the mall, a block from the alamo, and a 4 minute walk to the riverwalk. There's tons to do, and besides the higher prices levied on this tourist-rich area it's really great. The only downside (small) is that you're on what I would consider the Edge of downtown and the border of the not so nice part of San Antonio. I keep my car in the hotel garage every night and one night had to have it valeted due to the lot being full and sure enough the car was broken into and my gps stolen. The hotel/valet company took care of everything (beyond my expectations) but sure enough a month later a friend parks across the street and we go have a few beers and he's suffered the same consequence of parking his car outside and had a bag full of important files (to him and no one else) stolen.

That being said. If you're in San Antonio for more than a couple days I would highly reccomend the Residence Inn Alamo Plaza. I've stayed at 4 or 5 other hotels downtown and this is my favorite. Just be sure to park in the nice gated hotel garage if you have a car!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
San Diego, California
Reviewed February 21, 2010

Our stay in downtown San Antonio was great in large part to this excellent Residence Inn. The location is perfect, just steps away from the Alamo and the Riverwalk Center. If you enjoy taking a tours you can easily walk two blocks to buy your tickets and step onboard the bus. We highly recommend this great hotel.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed January 15, 2010

We planned a 3-night stay here in early January but checked-out after the first night. Though a change is travel plans was part of the reason for checking out early, we were eager to check-out due to a musty-smelling room with worn carpet on the 13th floor (Room 1303 if I recall correctly). Due to the age of the hotel and the general 'feel', I suspect our room was not isolated with this smell/condition and we did not bother to report the experience. Staff was very friendly -- again, very friendly. On-site laundry facility was good/convenient/clean. Plenty of 'life' at free breakfast buffet; food was good. Riverwalk happened to be drained when we visited town (oh well) but location from the hotel is about a 5-10 minute walk (the Alamo is even closer). Internet terminals in the lobby provided free (but very slow) internet access; one is required to stand instead of sit while using the internet. Parking is very convenient (adjacent) but expensive by our standards; pricing for parking appears to be consistent with other hotels and parking options in the area however. (Very) Small outdoor pool with hot tub but we did not try it. We would not choose to stay at this hotel again but realize that -- for the price in this touristy area -- it offers good location with all the basics and a friendly staff.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
Euless, Texas
Reviewed January 12, 2010

I really like Marriott extended stay hotels but this one I just didn't see the value. $139.00 a night plus taxes plus $22.00 for self parking! This is not valet, $22.00 to use there parking garage! All other Residence Inns have an open parking lot that I self park for $0.00. I think that's what killed me. If I'm gonna dole our $189.00 a night, I'm gonna stay at a 5 star hotel, not here.

If your visiting San Antonio, there are plenty of other extended stay hotels outside the city. You can drive in to see the Alamo and pay $10.00 and park you car for the day.

The staff was ok, I had one incident where the staff walked over and changed the channel of the TV while I was watching it. I chimed in that I was watching that and she returned it to the channel. I really think she did it on purpose because of what I was watching in hope I would not say anything. There was no way around this, it was clear I ws watching the TV.

The meal lines were always full, and it felt like I was in a line at the amusement park.

I think that this hotel may have onc been a 5 star hotel and Marriott converted it over. It has the feeling of a 5 star without all the amendeties of it.

If I were visiting San Antonio for the 1st time and I had a large family, and money was dropping out of pocket, I would stay here, otherwise, I'm staying further out for a better price.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
San Diego, California
Reviewed December 20, 2009

Excellent Staff and they love their TIgers! Walking distance to the Riverwalk!

Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank bigAL619
Cambridge
Reviewed December 19, 2009

this hotel isnt fancy but it is clean, quiet, the staff are excellent and it is reasonably priced.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business