“Great place for families”

Residence Inn San Antonio Downtown/Alamo Plaza
Ranked #34 of 356 Hotels in San Antonio
Jacksonville, AR
“Great place for families”
Reviewed July 8, 2006

This is a great place for people with young children. The rooms are very spacious, and are set up for you to stay a while. It would also be a great place for people traveling on business who are going to be there several days. The location is great. The Alamo is a block away, and the Mall is about three blocks away. There is nothing right outside the door, though. The evening social hour is fun, and we used it for dinner a couple of nights. The staff bends over backwards to be helpful. The only drawback is the tiny pool, but it is functional. We would stay there again without hesitation.

• Stayed June 2006
5 Thank brad120

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
Fulton, New York
Reviewed July 4, 2006

What a great location for sightseeing in San Antonio! We traveled in May 2006 for just 4 days. We chose this location for their suites, and the good reviews on Trip Advisor. We weren't disappointed.

Check in was fine. Reserved a two bedroom suite directly through Residence Inn toll free number, and requested a crib for my son. I also called the hotel directly before arrival and was told it was in the system, but to ask at check in. Sure enough, when I asked, they had not yet placed it in the room, but were right behind us while going up to the room. It was your standard pack n play crib, with a fitted sheet provided. Suite was spacious for 3 adults and 2 children: kitchen included a fridge, small stove, microwave, coffee pot, dishwasher, sink, and the usual cups, plates, etc. During the week they offer a rotating menu downstairs for dinner, and a calendar on the fridge told what was offered each night. We didn't partake, but it was very kid friendly, pasta night, mexican, etc.

Both bedrooms had a nice queen size bed, private bathroom, with an outside sink, and closets. Each room also had cable tv. The main living area had a pull out sofa, and cable tv. I would agree with other reviewers that the rugs were a bit on the dirty side and could use a good steam clean, but that wouldn't deter me from staying again.

The pool area is very small, but nice to cool off after a hot Texas day. There is even a hot tub, but no lifeguard. Towels are provided, with a few deck chairs and lounges for sunbathers.

Free hot breakfast in the morning included eggs, sausage, biscuits, yogurt, fruit, breads, muffins, oatmeal, juice, coffee, and make your own waffles. We often took some fruit and yogurt up to our room for the kids snack later. Trays are provided to bring your meal up to your room, there were plenty of tables, as well as highchairs, and the staff was extremely helpful. The morning we left, my daughter requested a chocolate chip muffin to go, but I didn't see any out. I asked one of the nice ladies if they had any in the back. She found some frozen ones, nuked it for me, and wrapped it up to go! Very helpful!!! They had a great jungle theme throughout the hotel, and every morning one of the ladies would hand out cute little stickers to the children.

The location itself isn't that great, in that there is nothing immediately around the hotel. But it is only a 5 minute walk to the Mercer Hotel, the Alamo, and Riverwalk Mall, where you can access the Riverwalk and all it has to offer. I wouldn't recommend walking there alone at night, but my husband and I were fine together. It was nice to be away from all the noise of the Riverwalk, and to come home to a nice spacious room. I didn't find the hotel to be noisy inside either, as I've noticed some other reviewers commenting.

One thing to note - I asked if there were any convenient stores in the area to get some milk for my son. They directed me to a run down, rather shady gas station about 1 block away. The attendant was friendly, but if I had known where I was going, I wouldn't have brought my 4 year old daughter with me. Thank god it was still light out! I guess they offer a service to get your some groceries, but it takes a few hours, and I needed the milk for bedtime! Unless you need it right away, I would take advantage of this service, or take some milk from breakfast in the morning.

All in all, I would recommend this hotel, especially to families with small children. You can't beat the free breakfast and the spaciousness.

If you ever get a chance, try Morton's of Chicago in the Riverwalk Mall. VERY pricey, but the steak was out of this world! Also, we couldn't believe how loud it was in there, but that didn't prevent us from enjoying an outstanding meal!

• Stayed May 2006
3 Thank jennalulu
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 25, 2006

I stayed at the Residence Inn while in town for a conference. It is approximately four blocks away from the Convention Center and the same distance to the Riverwalk. The Alamo is just two blocks away. The hotel was clean and well maintained. Nothing fancy but It is perfect for a long stay since it has full kitchen facilities plus a separate living area with a sofa and TV.

My only complaints are that they have no King size beds (or at least that's what they said), the air conditioning vent was directly in front of the bed so the air conditioning hit me head-on the entire night, and the afternoon happy hour, although pleasant, consisted of greasy food, light beer, soda and cheap wine. The breakfast however was EXCELLENT.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business