“Exceptional attention”

Residence Inn San Antonio Downtown/Alamo Plaza
Ranked #45 of 357 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed October 26, 2013

Here for three nights with two long term buddies and spouses to celebrate birthdays. Staff could not have been more accommodating to see that we all had nearby rooms, and placed sparkling wine in each unit to assist! Desk staff and visible other staff all exceptionally friendly and accommodating. Breakfast is included and quite nice.

Room Tip: If you are there for a special occasion, do not be afraid to mention it to staff when making the res...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Molokaidave
DustySmith, General Manager at Residence Inn San Antonio Downtown/Alamo Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded October 27, 2013

Thank you so much for your kind review as well as for staying with us at the Residence Inn Alamo Plaza. Also, I couldn't agree more with your room tips. We really do enjoy doing special surprises for guests as well as your advice on San Antonio being a walking city is spot on. There are rental car companies in an easy walk from the hotel if you need a car for a day or two. Thank you again and come back soon to experience more of what this fun and dynamic city has to offer.

Reviewed October 25, 2013

The room is really big and comfortable! I really love it. The perfect location and the best service are unforgettable. I extremely recommend this Residence Inn San Antonio Downtown/Alamo Plaza to you guys. I hope you can enjoy your holiday or trip in it. 房间很大很舒服。我真的很喜欢。极好的服务和完美的地点是非常难忘的。我非常推荐这间Marriott给所有阅读这条评论的人。衷心希望你可以在这里享受你们的假期。

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo

Thank you so much for this kind review. I will certainly share this with our entire staff and have George translate! We certainly enjoyed hosting you in the US during your stay in San Antonio. I hope that future travels bring you back to San Antonio and we have the opportunity to host you again. Thank you for taking the time to wirte this revew and thank you so much for choosling to stay with us.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

The location of this hotel is not close to any attractions in the San Antonio Riverwalk area. The front desk staff wS helpful but not overly enthusiastic. It took 30 min to get a taxi because they were doing construction on all of the roads anywhere near the hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
DustySmith, General Manager at Residence Inn San Antonio Downtown/Alamo Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on Trip Advisor and also thank you for staying with us at the Residence Inn Alamo Plaza. I apologize for the paving project that took place on the road in front of the hotel during your stay. The San Antonio Rock and Roll Marathon that will take place on November 17th passes directly in front of our hotel, thus they were smooting out the path of the race. I also apologize that the front desk staff was not enthusiasic and I will address this issue. This is not a common observation and I will work to make certain that we all practice aggressive hospitality with all of our guests. Our location near the Alamo usually gets great reviews and we try to promote our proximity on the edge of the action and if you were mislead, I certainly apologize for that. We are on the northwest corner of the downtown area and one block to the Alamo, two blocks to the Riverwalk, and three blocks to the Convention Center. We certainly strive to be more that just ok and I apologize that we did not exceed your expections. Thank you again for staying with us!

Reviewed October 19, 2013

We stayed here overnight before flying out of San Antonio mid-day the next day. Early check-in gave us plenty of time to explore The Alamo and the Riverwalk nearby (also get in a little retail therapy).

Staff were very pleasant and helpful. Changing our allocated room (which appeared to us to have a slight but noticeable smell of cigarette smoke) was handled quickly and efficiently. The room we then had on the 10th floor was great; spacious, very clean, nice kitchen area, sitting area, good bathroom and comfortable bed.

They also offered to loan us umbrellas to cope with the heavy rain which made it easier for us and saved us having to buy one! The social hour offering complimentary wine and snacks was a bonus and there was a very good choice at breakfast time. We pre-booked the room + valet parking deal and recommend this as there was a good saving.

Our reason for reducing a star was that the musty, dusty smell in the carpeted corridors was pretty overpowering, and the room did also have a 'damp' smell on first entering, although after a while that didn't bother us. We've never been aware having of a heightened awareness or sensitivity to odours before! Despite this last bit of negativity, we enjoyed our stay and appreciated the very courteous and friendly staff.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
DustySmith, General Manager at Residence Inn San Antonio Downtown/Alamo Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2013

Thank you for staying with us and for writing this review. I am very glad to hear that you found the staff friendly and courteous. I want to apologize for the odor issues that you encountered. We should be sharp enough to notice when our smoke free policy is violated and hold that room out of order until the smoke smell can be remediated. I will make this a training topic with my staff this week. I also apologize for the musty smell you encountered. I feel that this smell might have been attributalbe to a carpet cleanng project that was going on during your stay. As you mentioned, we finally got some rain in San Antonio and the outside climate did not help in getting the humidity down in the hotel to a proper level. Our hotel does not normally have the damp feel that you mentioned (I have managed hotels in Houston and Dallas with different types of air conditioners, so I do understand damp). I will also make this a focal point of room inspections. Thanks again for staying with us!

Reviewed October 17, 2013

This property is very nice but parking has become very expensive for a three or four block walk to the action in San Antonio. It is a pretty standard Residence Inn with nice suites with two rooms and fridges and microwaves. They have an outstanding complimentary breakfast and a nice evening happy hour when they have them but like most Residence Inns they have cut back to Monday through Wednesday. A mistake in my opinion as I will now avoid them on Thursdays.

Interesting international crowd for their Wednesday happy hour.

Room Tip: Stay only Monday through Wednesday for best value. Try to find alternative parking
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for staying with us at the Residence Inn Alamo Plaza and also for taking the time to complete a Trip Advisor review. Our parking rates for self as well as valet parking are $24 per night. Parking charges are common in urban areas and San Antonio is no exception. The most expensive valet that I know of in San Antonio is $43 plus tax for a hotel on the Riverwalk. As you stated, we are a one block from the Alamo and a little over 2 blocks (depending on your route) to the beautiful San Antonio River Walk. Thanks for the comments on the complimentary breakfast and Monday through Wednesday social hour. Thank you again for the kind review.

Reviewed October 9, 2013

I travel about 10 to 12 nights a month and I only stay at Marriott properties. I spent 3 nights at this hotel and had a great experience. The hotel isn't new but its clean and well maintained. The service was exceptional. The breakfasts and evening happy hour were some of the best I've ever seen at any of the hotels I stay at. The people were incredible nice and helpful. Will definitely stay here on my next trip through San Antonio.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Thank you very much for this kind review. I am glad to hear that you were able to take advantage of both breakfast as well as our social hour. Our breakfast is complimentary daily and we host evening social hours Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday evenings. I will certainly share with the staff your kind comments about the maintenance, upkeep, cleanliness, and associate interactions. Thank you for staying with us and thank you so much for taking the time to share your experiences. Please come back and explore all of what this great city has to offer!

Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

Met some girlfriends in San Antonio for the weekend. I stayed at Residence Inn and my friends stayed at the Embassy Suite which was a much better choice. I was disappointed with the breakfast food was awful and the tv did not wk and the staff was slow to resolve the problems. Would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013
Nichole F, Manager at Residence Inn San Antonio Downtown/Alamo Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback from your stay at the Residence Inn Alamo Plaza. Your concerns are very important to us and resolving guest complaints with a sense of urgency is the expectation set at this hotel. I will work with the staff on training to better handle these requests in a timely manner, and to communicate these results to the guest to ensure satisfactory resolutions. Thanks again for staying witih us!