“Great property with a bit of a walk to the riverwalk.”

Residence Inn San Antonio Downtown/Alamo Plaza
Ranked #41 of 357 Hotels in San Antonio
Houston, Texas
“Great property with a bit of a walk to the riverwalk.”
Reviewed October 17, 2013

This property is very nice but parking has become very expensive for a three or four block walk to the action in San Antonio. It is a pretty standard Residence Inn with nice suites with two rooms and fridges and microwaves. They have an outstanding complimentary breakfast and a nice evening happy hour when they have them but like most Residence Inns they have cut back to Monday through Wednesday. A mistake in my opinion as I will now avoid them on Thursdays.

Interesting international crowd for their Wednesday happy hour.

Room Tip: Stay only Monday through Wednesday for best value. Try to find alternative parking
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
DustySmith, General Manager at Residence Inn San Antonio Downtown/Alamo Plaza, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Thank you for staying with us at the Residence Inn Alamo Plaza and also for taking the time to complete a Trip Advisor review. Our parking rates for self as well as valet parking are $24 per night. Parking charges are common in urban areas and San Antonio is no exception. The most expensive valet that I know of in San Antonio is $43 plus tax for a hotel on the Riverwalk. As you stated, we are a one block from the Alamo and a little over 2 blocks (depending on your route) to the beautiful San Antonio River Walk. Thanks for the comments on the complimentary breakfast and Monday through Wednesday social hour. Thank you again for the kind review.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
Rochester, New York
Reviewed October 9, 2013

I travel about 10 to 12 nights a month and I only stay at Marriott properties. I spent 3 nights at this hotel and had a great experience. The hotel isn't new but its clean and well maintained. The service was exceptional. The breakfasts and evening happy hour were some of the best I've ever seen at any of the hotels I stay at. The people were incredible nice and helpful. Will definitely stay here on my next trip through San Antonio.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Thank you very much for this kind review. I am glad to hear that you were able to take advantage of both breakfast as well as our social hour. Our breakfast is complimentary daily and we host evening social hours Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday evenings. I will certainly share with the staff your kind comments about the maintenance, upkeep, cleanliness, and associate interactions. Thank you for staying with us and thank you so much for taking the time to share your experiences. Please come back and explore all of what this great city has to offer!
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

Met some girlfriends in San Antonio for the weekend. I stayed at Residence Inn and my friends stayed at the Embassy Suite which was a much better choice. I was disappointed with the breakfast food was awful and the tv did not wk and the staff was slow to resolve the problems. Would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2013
Nichole F, Manager at Residence Inn San Antonio Downtown/Alamo Plaza, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback from your stay at the Residence Inn Alamo Plaza. Your concerns are very important to us and resolving guest complaints with a sense of urgency is the expectation set at this hotel. I will work with the staff on training to better handle these requests in a timely manner, and to communicate these results to the guest to ensure satisfactory resolutions. Thanks again for staying witih us!
Menifee, California
Reviewed September 26, 2013

My Husband and I stayed 2 nights at the downtown Residence Inn because it was very convenient to The Riverwalk, The Alamo and the Mall. Well, it rained that night we got in and into the morning and let up just enough for us to walk the Riverwalk. We enjoyed walking around, but very few restaurants were open that early. Just as we got back to the hotel it started to rain and then really pour down from 11:30 am until wee hours of the night. Any other time it would have been depressing, however, this hotel is sooo nice, clean and comfy that we did not mind the rain at all. We had the studio suite with living room and full kitchen. The best part was the valet parking. Exceptional..You have to pay $24 for Valet or $24 for Self parking. Since it cost the same why not go for Valet. All you had to do was call down and let them know you wanted to leave and your car was waiting for you any time day or night. We had to leave early in the morning around 3am and the car was waiting for us. I was impressed. I wished that they would have had actual room service. What they had was a contracted restaurant that brought you the food, and the minimum delivery was $15. It was rather pricey. So if it's raining that's all you had if you didn't have a car. We ended up driving to Lulus Bakery in the pouring rain for the 3 lb cinnamon Roll and then eating dinner. I would have loved to have stayed longer. I love the Residence Inn. It's like home away from home!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
DustySmith, General Manager at Residence Inn San Antonio Downtown/Alamo Plaza, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
Thank you for the kind response. You reminded us about the huge Lulu's cinammon rolls and we took those to other clients that day. Thank you! Please come back and see us again and let's hope the weather cooperates better. And lastly, thanks for staying with us!
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

We stayed 2 nights in the downtown residence inn on our road trip round Texas. I had managed to get a 2 bedroom suite with valet parking for just over $220 per night which is such great value.

The suite is a great size, each bedroom had queen bed, large wardrobe, ensuite bathroom & TV. The lounge had 2 seats, TV, table for 4 and a full size kitchen with large fridge/freezer, stove, oven & microwave. The sofa also converted to double bed.

We didn't realise there was complimentary breakfast & on the first morning (labor day) the breakfast area was mobbed. There was good selection of food, I've never seen so many waffle machines. I do agree with other reviewers that food was going faster than staff could re-stock but I was amazed at the amount of food people were piling on their plates. Especially those taking handful/armful of food back to their rooms. I know the breakfast is free but it was a true gluttony show, must cost the hotel so much!

Location is great, 3min walk to Alamo, 5min walk to river walk. Agree with other reviews that behind the hotel doesn't feel super safe (I live in NYC & have in other major cities). Also, the area in front because of the car parks seemed very quiet at night but during day it's very busy.

I'd definitely recommend this place to people staying in San Antonio if you want some additional amenities.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Scot_in_NL
DustySmith, General Manager at Residence Inn San Antonio Downtown/Alamo Plaza, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and for your insighful review of your stay at our hotel. Holdiays and busy weekends can contain huge rushes of guests at one time for our complimentary breakfast. We usually receive compliments on how we handle these busy bursts of guests but at times we can get behind and for that I do apologize. These rushes are usually followed or preceeded by relative calm. Additionally, we have a couple of tables that are poolside just outside our breakast area that are, in my opinion, the best seats in the house if the weather is cooperating. I certainly thank you for your review and endorsement of our hotel. Please come back and visit us on a "saner" weekend. Safe travels to you and your family!
Gilmer, Texas, United States
Reviewed August 13, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for about 2 &1/2 months on a work assignment. It was absolutely perfect. The staff are friendly & helpful. The room, dining area & lobby are exceptionally clean. It is very convenient to the River Walk & a safe walk. I loved having the full size fridge. Would love to stay there again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Nichole F, Manager at Residence Inn San Antonio Downtown/Alamo Plaza, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Thank you so much for your feedback on your recent stay with us! We are so glad that you enjoyed your time with us and we loved having you. Please come back and see us agian when you are in town!

Nichole Flatt
Assistant General Manager
Azle, Texas
Reviewed August 3, 2013

We only stayed her for one night, but would have loved to spend all of our three night stay here. We arrived at about 3:00 and managed to get an early check in no problem. We had the two room suite that also contained a full kitchen and living room. It was my three sisters and I traveling with our kids so it was fabulous.

The hotel was very clean, and smelled fresh and clean and had nice music playing throughout. All of the staff I encountered from front desk to the maids, were so pleasant and helpful.

You do have to pay 26 to valet park, but this was not a problem as you are in walking distance to the River Walk. The back of the Alamo property is like a block and a half away. It is the perfect location for all the sight seeing downtown.

The breakfast had much to offer. We did not get down there until about 30min til it ended and it was very crowded and there was only one girl working to keep everything restocked, but she was doing her best with a smile on. We ended up taking our food up to our room to eat.

I will definitely stay at this property in future visits to San Antonio.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank terri E
DustySmith, General Manager at Residence Inn San Antonio Downtown/Alamo Plaza, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Thank you for the kind review and also, thank you for staying with us at the Residence Inn Alamo Plaza. I also thank you for your observation regarding parking. Parking is a premium in most urban markets (San Antonio included) and due to that fact, trying to find parking at other downtown locations is going to be at a cost and normally not very convenient. If you can walk, do walk. We have a great Riverwalk and an increasingly great street level with attractions and restaurants. I apologize for the end of breakfast service let down. That is not how it should work and I will work to correct it. Breakfast can at some times become insanely busy but normal comments from our guests are about how well we handle it and keep items fresh and stocked with a table clean and waiting. We have had a few service failures lately on this front and I will be working to make certain breakfast is consistent for all of our open hours (M-F 6:30 AM until 9:30 AM and Saturday, Sunday and holidays 7 AM until 10 AM). Thanks again and please come back to explore all that this great city has to offer.