“Great place close to the Alamo”

Residence Inn San Antonio Downtown/Alamo Plaza
Ranked #43 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed July 25, 2013

We stayed for two nights. Very nice place. The staff was courteous and went out of their way to make sure we were comfortable and enjoying our visit. I was surprised that there is a full kitchen in the room including a full range. I would recommend the hotel. A free full hot breakfast was great with scrambled eggs, breakfast meat, juices, cereals, coffee, fruit, waffles, and other items. Weeknights they have an appetizer and a choice of wine, beer (only one kind), or non-alcoholic beverage for the kids. I would stay there again.

That said, I have only two negative things to say. First, parking is not free, but it is convenient. For that matter, no one has free parking in the area. Second, we thought the beds were too hard. But the manager had someone put extra padding on the beds for the second night, and that helped a lot.

The hotel has a great location on the Northeast side of downtown. Our son was rehearsing and performing at the convention center. The convention center is 5 blocks away, we found a short cut through the mall. The Alamo is a very short block and a half away. There is a new fire fighter museum just down the block. I do recomend parking the car and walking everywhere, though the high humidity will get to you if you are not used to it. Traffic is not fun to negotiate, especially when you consider walking is such a short distance and parking is a huge hassle.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 8th floor, and that floor was quiet. Stay up higher for the view.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
DustySmith, General Manager at Residence Inn San Antonio Downtown/Alamo Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2013

Thank you for the positive review and for taking the time to post it on TirpAdvisor. It was a joy having you and your family as our guest during your trip to San Antonio. I also thank you for the features and tips you pointed out. I can not agree more that parking can be a hassle and this is definitely a city to walk around in. The Alamo, the Riverwalk, the Convention Center, the Alamo Dome, the museums and all the other attractions are either a walk, trolly, pedi-cab, tour bus, or river taxi away. Taxi cabs of course are always available as well if a side excursion is desired there is a Avis rental car location across the street or a Hertz rental car location in the lobby of the Marriott Rivercenter. Also, thank you for voicing your concern about your bed comfort so we could do something about it. Again, it was a pleasure being your host while you visited San Antonio. Please come back and explore all that this great location has to offer.

Reviewed July 24, 2013 via mobile

Stayed 5 nights here while visiting daughter at fort Sam, close to base and convenient walk to Alamo river mall and river walk also walked to tower of the America's. staff friendly and helpful. Breakfast buffet delicious several choices of hot and cold foods, evening reception during the week for guests a nice touch. Downside is the parking is expensive at 24. A night plus tax! And not enough spaces! Pool area is nice but the pool is tiny! Nice grill for BBQ. Cooked in kitchen very nice. Gym area is nice with new equipment. A perfect choice but a but pricey

• Stayed: July 2013
DustySmith, General Manager at Residence Inn San Antonio Downtown/Alamo Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2013

Thank you for the kind review of our hotel. I will share these comments with the staff. I certainly understand your perspective of our small pool as well parking expenses. These are common issues with urban hotels. We offer both valet as well as self parking at a $24 plus tax rate which is a below average price for the downtown San Antonio market. Unlike the surface lots in the area, we don't charge again once your car is moved. We try to make certain that our website as well as partner sites fully disclose this. Also, summer weekends are peak season for us and our prices for our suites will fluctuate by season. August and early September are lower priced seasons overall. Again, we are glad that you overall enjoyed your stay with us and are very much appreciative that you took the time to review your stay with TripAdvisor.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

Every year my family and I take a trip to SanAntonio for a family vacation so this time we tried the Marriott Residence Inn but that was a big mistake. We were there from july 19th to July 22nd, 2013 The price of the hotel is not worth it. The hotel rooms are out dated and they are tryng to make it look new but it is not possible. The carpet had spots all over it as if it needs to be shampooed or removed, the microwave button that is used to open the microwaves pops off when trying to open it and the door under neath the sinks kept falling down. There was so much dust on the radio, lamps, the wall sockets and the kitchen floor was sticky. Well that was not the main issue we had the hotel even though it is a huge issue for me. We had four children with us from ages 2-11, we received a phone call from the hotel staff telling us to keep down the noise and she told by 11 year old neice that this was her first warning, even though the kids were quiet down we received a knock on the door from the hotel security guard giving us a second warning. I explained to the Hotel Security Guard that it is hard to tell a 2 year old not to laugh, talk or play. He was pretty understanding but I did not appreciate the way my 11 year old neice was talked to by the front staff person. I think she should have asked to speak to the adult in the room before telling her that this was her first warning. The hotel is old and is trying to make it out to be something it is not. The pool is soooo small only 10-15 people can get in it at the same time and the jacuzzi is the size of my bath tub. I will never stay at this hotel again, it is not worth the money.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank ZeeAP

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Residence Inn Alamo Plaza. I will personally inspect the room in question regarding the cleanliness and product defects. This is not a common complaint and I will work to resolve any issues. Our hotel was completely renovated a year ago with $4.6 million US spent on refreshing the product. This renovation ended on April 18th of 2012. The only items in the room that were not changed out or painted include the bathroom tile and room ceilings. I apologize that this did not meet or exceed your expectations. We try to be very kid (as well as adult) friendly and I am sorry that we did not handle other guests complaints of noise in a satisfactory manner. I will work to train the staff on handling these types of issues in the future. Thanks again for staying with us and enjoy your summer.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

We stayed here for a week in June and the location is perfect to enjoy the River Walk, downtown shops, the Alamo, and many restaurants! The staff is casual and friendly and their is a full hot breakfast with plenty of options for everyone. I love they have ice water and coffee all hours of the day available for their guests. The rooms were clean and roomy! Our kids loved the pool, which is small but it's outdoors in a nice setting with easy access from the lobby. We would definitely stay here again on our next trip to San Antonio!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for the kind review of our hotel. Glad that you found our location pleasing. Although not directly on the riverwalk, our location provides access to all that the downtown area has to offer as well as easy access to I-35, US 90, I-10 and US 281/I-37 (although due to some construction the southbound entry is a little tricky). Thank you for taking the time to post this on TripAdvisor and please come back to continue to discover what this great city has to offer.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

The valet was the best part of my stay at this hotel. I'd just like to warn people with respiratory issues or allergies to make sure you do not get a room on the top floor as it was moldy. I have a major mold allergy and was sick everytime I was in the room. I also broke out into a rash when I was in my room which hasn't happened to me since I was a child. After housekeeping attempting to give my room a thorough cleaning and it didn't work I moved to the 5th floor. That room was fine and I didn't have any additional issues with breathing or skin irritations. The hotel itself is nice but they need to take care of the mold issue on that top floor. You can smell it as soon as you get off the elevator on the top floor but the other ones are fine so it seems to be concentrated there.

Room Tip: Avoid the top floor!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Tumaini
Nichole F, Manager at Residence Inn San Antonio Downtown/Alamo Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2013

Thank you so much for bringing this to our attention. As communicated to you by the e mail from our General Manager we are looking into the 13th floor for moisture and will address anything that is found. We appreciate your feedback and thank you so much for choosing Marriott for your travel needs!

Reviewed July 16, 2013

We were in town for the George Strait concert! We came in that Saturday around 11:30am, they had a room available and let us check-in way early! Onsite parking is $24 (if I recall) per night, it's the same price for self parking or valet parking. Once we got settled in our room, we walked down to the River Walk for lunch - follow the Alamo wall, it's that close! Before leaving for the concert, the valet attendant double checked with us that we had the correct directions to the concert. Only downfall was coming back from the concert - the way the police had the roads blocked, we had to go drive way out of the way to get back (however, this is no fault of the hotel). The lobby has a little grocery store in it where you can purchase "junk food" if you don't want to leave or order in. Sunday morning we went down for their hot breakfast, yum! Nothing short of great for this hotel!

Room Tip: If you are traveling with 2 couples, book a 2 room suite! You all will come out saving a little mone...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for your feedback! We loved having all the George Straight fans with us and heard he put on a great show. We are so pleased that you had a wonderful stay and thank you for choosing Marriott!

Reviewed July 11, 2013

Location is downtown and is perfect , close walking distance to most of the sights , restaurants and fun things to do with kids

Amenities : Full hot breakfast every morning till 9.30 am , Social hour monday to wednesday 6 to 7.30 pm with light snacks and complimentary beer and wine.

Rooms : Clean and nice furnishings and no breakages. very comfy pull out bed too. Our suite had a full kitchen, small but packed a punch and was more than I needed. I loved the view from our room.

Service : First rate , Friendly and Fantastic . Have to mention the ever smiling and wonderful reception and room service staff ... the lovely ladies who worked at cleaning were always smiling even if I kept asking them to come back later , later and later .

They do not have a functioning kitchen but they have tie ups with resturaunts and delivery units which deliver piping hot food to your room at very reasonable rates .

The only thing I can think of that could be better ... or bigger in this case is the size of the swimming pool. Though this worked pretty well for us as my daughter is just learning to swim so the deepest part of the pool at 3 ft 6 inches was in our case a blessing.

Now the Catch ... Me , my 6 year old daughter and 1n half year old son accompanied my husband on a work trip for a duration of one whole Month ! So we were pretty much left to our own antics while hubby went to work . And we had a blast , we walked to most of the sights , took the Via 7 tour bus to the remaining sights and cabbed it to the far off places. We had a fabulous time in san antonio it has forever etched a place in our hearts.
A big reason for our good time was courtesy Residence Inn , which gave us security , peace of mind, ever present smiles and help lots and lots of it whenever i needed it.
Our home away from home for the whole month. My husbands work colleagues joined us later in the stay and only had good things to say.
Special mention - Mr. Dusty Smith Manager and leader of his awesome team ... thanks for the complimentary zoo passes and all the kid friendly tips. Well Done and hats off to the professional homeliness you have managed to create in your hotel !
Also the girls at the reception - Krystal , Arange ( Hope I spelt your name right - Raiaa sends a big Hi and hug all the way from India)

So big big thank you and carry on the good work ! Families - perfect stay for a good holiday . Work travelers - perfect place to come back to after a hard days work.

Room Tip: Ps : Do Ask for a room in the left wing of the hotel which overlooks onto the streets and the bound...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your very kind review of the hotel! It was a pleasure being your host during your trip to San Antonio. We really get a kick out of being a part of guests extended families here at the hotel and so glad we succeeded in leaving a positive impression. We could not have written better advertising copy if we had written it ourselves. Thanks again for staying with us and we hope to see you and your family again soon. Thank you so much for taking the time to post this to TripAdvisor.