“For Those with Kids”

Ranked #45 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Houston, Texas, United States
“For Those with Kids”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

If you are traveling without the kids and visiting downtown San Antonio, I would not stay here. A better option is the Westin Riverwalk which has amazing rooms and a fantastic resturant (Zocca). However, if you are going to need some place to spread out I highly recommend Residence Inn. A one bedroom suite will allow you to put the kids to bed and still stay up for tv/work/etc. Plus there is a kitchen so you can save some money by bringing your own snacks and drinks. The location is a shortwalk to all the attractions as well as the freeways for a quick trip to Sea World. Two complaints - (1) Avoid the 'room service.' It is nothing more than 3rd party delivery and could get better food at a more competitive price by ordering pizza. (2) The valet service is a bit of a mess. Parking is tight so it is still the best option but be aware that a few cars seems to overwhelm the staff.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Josh R
DustySmith, General Manager at Residence Inn San Antonio Downtown/Alamo Plaza, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Thank you for your kind review and for staying with us at the Residence Inn Alamo Plaza. I apologize for any inconveniences due to staffing or mistakes made by our valet staff. We normally get it right but looks like we failed you during your stay. I will work on that with our vendor. Please when ordering pizza do not utilzie the services of any flyers that are placed under your door. Please ask the desk for a reputable vendor. Thanks again for staying with us and please try us again on future stays in San Antonio.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
Everett, Washington, United States
Reviewed March 11, 2013

My first business trip I stayed at the Weston for nearly a month and it was a good experience. For my second trip I wanted to try another hotel and I decided to stay at the Residence Inn. What a wonderful 31 days/nights I had here. The staff was friendly and made me feel at home. The rooms I had was very roomy and comfortable and I liked the fact that I had a kitchen and two LCD TV’s to view football games on. The River walk and River walk Mall was just down the street after passing the Alamo. The River walk is awesome and I enjoyed my nightly visit there. The hotel served breakfast daily (eggs, sausage, cereal, toast, waffles, fruit, yogurt, coffee) 7 days a week. Monday through Wednesday they served free beer/wine with sandwiches, wigs, etc. All said, I would say this is the place to be if you are to stay for several weeks. The previous hotel (Weston) made me feel like a caged tiger when I went back to my room, while the Residence Inn made me feel like I was going home … yes I felt like it was home.

Room Tip: If you are to stay for longer then two weeks - stay here. You will be comfortable, relaxed, and hap...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Andrew R
Thank you for the wonderful review and the pointing out about the extra space that a Residence Inn suite offers. We certanly thank you for staying with us and if future plans bring you back to San Antonio, please stay with us again.
Upper Marlboro, Md.
Reviewed February 23, 2013

We stayed here for a week in February. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. The breakfast was delicious with a nice variety of choices including make-your-own waffles! It was an easy short walk to the Riverwalk area, the Alamo, and many shops and restaurants. We rented a car but really didn't need to. The workout room was a plus and we used it several mornings. It was nice to have a living room area in addition to the bedroom. I would definitely go back if I return to San Antonio.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank LesnPete
Thank you for taking the time to write this review and also thank you for allowing us to be your host while in San Antonio. Your comment on the need for a rental car is so appropriate. If flying in, the best advice is to rent a car downtown when you need it. There are at least two rental car companies in easy walking distance (Avis is righ across the street). This alleviates the most common complaint about urban hotels of paying for parking. Thanks again for the review and please come back and see us.
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed February 21, 2013

I have been traveling for a long time i have stayed in alot of Residence Inns. But the one at the Alamo Plaza is special!!!I had surgery on my foot for an accute injury while on business and looking for a house. I WAS ALL BY MYSELF WITH NO FAMILY OR FRIENDS TO HELP ME ON MY RECOVERY . IT WAS A VERY EMPTY SAD FEELING BEING BY YOURSELF AFTER A FOOT SURGERY. The staff was amazing in bringing me ice bags,Pillows to prop my foot up helping me pack parking my truck amd getting it for me at no cost and all around making me feel at home. The staff will always have a specia place in my heart for the excellent care after my surgery my family will always stay here while we are looking for a house and all visits to SA in the future as wellTO KNOW HOW YOU GUYS ARE DOING GOD BLESS AND I WILL SEE YOU GUYS SOON. -JAKE-

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Jacob P
Thank you for this kind review. These are the types of stories we love to hear and retell. I hope all is well post surgery and please come back and see us in San Antonio very soon.
Reviewed February 19, 2013

This is my first review, and I can not keep this story to myself. I am a mother of a 9 year old and a 18month old. I just returned from a long military deployment and took a trip to San Antonio as a complete surprise for my children so we could have fun and get to know one another again. The staff helped out and played along with the surprise theme with my girls. THEN they surprised me. We came back one night to discover I hand written card from the staff wishing us a great trip AND stuffed animals from Seaworld for my girls AND ice cream in the freezer AND cookies for us. Oh and root beer in the fridge to make floats. The staff are amazing and thoughtful. I can not say enough good about this experience!

• Stayed February 2013
3 Thank Theduckie
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. Great to see the staff utilzed their empowerment and made some special surprises for you and your family. That certainly is what makes this job fun. Please come back and stay with us again soon.
Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

Comfortable rooms. Traveled with our daughter and had enough space to be comfortable. Great location. Just minutes from everything we wanted to do!! Great, friendly staff. Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank charalene83
Thank you so much for staying with us and we are very appreciative of this kind review. Please come back and stay with us soon.
Texas
Reviewed February 15, 2013

This isn't luxury, but the rooms at this hotel have all been remodeled in the last year. They are lovely and modern. They are spacious with a kitchenette. The breakfast is great. It is a full breakfast with eggs, sausage or bacon, Belgian waffles, oatmeal, fruit, cereal, several kinds of muffins, bagels, toast, yogurt, etc.
The hotel is about 2 blocks from the Alamo, the Rivercenter Mall, and the Riverwalk. The valet parking is pricey--$24 a day--but itis unlimited in and out. Most other parking lots/hotels don't offer that. All of the hotel staff that we have encountered have been so friendly and helpful. They are always smiling and ready to assist. We really enjoy staying at this hotel. We have been coming to San Antonio twice a year for over 30 years and have stayed at many different downtown hotels, but I prefer to stay at this hotel over any of the others.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Chicaalegre
Thank you so much for this kind review. Please come back and stay with us very soon.