“Don't Stay Here”

Days Inn San Antonio Alamo/riverwalk
Ranked #277 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed August 5, 2008

Don't stay here! This hotel was dirty and unsanitary. The staff was NOT nice. We were charged more than the price we were quoted, told our extra money would be refunded but it was not. The door had a crack under it big enough for a snake to crawl in, we were afraid to take our shoes off, showered with flip flops on because the bathroom was so nasty. Find another place to stay!

• Stayed: July 2008

Reviewed July 9, 2008

This is a review of the Days Inn at 902 E. Houston St., not to be confused with the other Days Inn in downtown SA.

If you are looking for a hotel where the furniture is so beat up that I wouldn't even put it in a yard sale, where there are multiple stains on the carpet and upholstery, where some bathtubs are pockmarked and the tile shows evidence of water damage, where the drains are nearly clogged and there is a trace of mildew on the shower curtain, where the towels are frayed at the edges--in short, if slum housing feels like home--then this may be the place for you.

In the room where I stayed, there were eight holes drilled in the top of the dresser, ostensibly to secure a long-gone TV. The air conditioner blows cold air right at the bed, which kept waking me up the first night, until I realized that the room would stay cool enough for hours with it turned off.

I don't think my room was unusual. I was allowed to inspect three rooms before choosing it. The first room had an undesirable chemical odor, which may have been masking an even-more-undesirable smell. The second room had the aforementioned pockmarked tub, with discolored grout.

I would not have booked or stayed here if downtown San Antonio had not been booked solid ... so full that repeated Priceline bids failed, up to $145 for a three-star hotel.

At an average rate, including tax, of more than $140/night, however, I suspect that few slum-dwellers could afford to stay here. Despite the fact that there was nothing wrong with the bed, that the drains were unclogged within a day when I reported them, that there were no billing or noise problems, and that all the personnel were pleasant enough, the many shortcomings earn this hotel the distinction of being the worst value for the money of anywhere I have stayed in my life.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed March 30, 2008

We arrived to the Days Inn Alamo Riverwalk and checked in quickly, only to find that our rooms were in another building across two busy roads! There was parking available there however but it made it difficult when you wanted breakfast or towels.

The bathroom was quite dirty, there was a brown crust in the corners of the shower and there was clump of hair on our towels (see picture). The shower head was a massage type, but it was broken and could only spray hard pulsations of water.

The room was not sufficiently cleaned. There was a baby bottle cap in plain sight on the floor and another person's underwear in a drawer!

The floor was wet due to water leaking in from the air conditioner.

On our second day, we had to go back to the office acoss the busy roads to get our room key re-activated! There was another couple having the same problem and we had to wait for a good 15 minutes to do this.

Really the only good thing I can say about this place is the location. It was about a 7 minute walk to the Alamo and a 10 minute walk to the Riverwalk.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed March 3, 2008

I have never expereinced a more pathetic, disgusting hotel in my life. I have traveled both internationally and nationally and can't believe that this hotel hasn't been shut down by the local health department for insect infestation. This review is only addressing the cleanliness factor, not the customer service or the state of the furniture in the rooms (we had two rooms). So wrong in so many ways. Do not stay at this roach motel. The location is excellent and the price was reasonable but I thought that the reviews mentioning the filth couldn't be true. I can't beleive that the Days Inn chain would allow such a disgrace of a hotel to be linked to their name. I understand the Days Inn is about a two star location but this is beyond substandard.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank mosfro
Reviewed November 9, 2007

The closeness to the Alamo and River Walk are a plus for this hotel. The 2 star review doesn't do it justice. The only problem that we had with the hotel was our door would not close on its own. Told them about it 3 or 4 times and nothing was done about it by the time we left. Was good for the money, and the proximity to the Alamo, River Walk, Tower of the Americas, & Rivercenter Mall!! Would stay again!!

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank shelly1023
Reviewed October 1, 2007

Went for a quick getaway. This hotel is conveniently located and 1.5 blocks from Rivercenter Mall and the Alamo. The Beds were clean, the carpet dirty and the furniture run down. I wore my flip flops in the room. Not the end of the world. It was a little musty but it rains a lot and is pretty humid there. Shower curtain was torn, but repaired when I told them. They did have some good customer service and Marisol was very friendly and accomodating. I just wanted an inexpensive place to stay that was close to everything without paying an arm and a leg. The AC worked and the beds were comfortable and clean.. nuff said.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled solo
1  Thank LouLasVegas
Reviewed August 7, 2007

Arrived pre-paid (by one month) Aug. 2nd and motel manager tried to get me to let her have a SIGNED and blank credit card slip "in case of damages" and when I said that was unusual, she said it was "standard" - like I was born yesterday. Her tone was demeaning, she alternated between lying and backpedaling. I refused to give her a blank signed credit slip and then she wanted $20 cash which I also refused. She then threatened to throw me & my 10 year old out on the street (you cannot stay in San Antonio anywhere without prior reservations) - the room was filthy, had live bugs and dead bugs everywhere and one of the beds was missing half the linens while the other had makeup smears on the sheets. This is the first time I have tried a Days Inn and I will NEVER stay in one again!!

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family