“multiple key problems”

Ranked #88 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed June 2, 2014

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel and Resorts
GM-KevinLatone, General Manager at Wyndham San Antonio Riverwalk, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2014

There are newer reviews for Wyndham San Antonio Riverwalk

Reviewed June 1, 2014

I got a deal through Travelzoo, so for the price, it wasn't bad, but had I paid rack rate I would have been upset. I made the assumption that the Riverwalk location was going to be better than it was. It is on the Riverwalk, but it's a good 10 minute walk to the main hustle and bustle. The were a lot of people hanging out and smoking on the route. The location is on the seedier side of town one block from the Greyhound station. It was only about 5 blocks from the Alamo and we were comfortable walking there. The hotel was recently acquired by Wyndham and they have great plans to renovate it (displays in lobby). The room was decent, although the bathroom showed some wear with cracked tiles and mildewed caulk. The toilet would not flush completely unless you held the handle down the entire flush. There were no luggage racks to put your suitcases on and there was only one trash can which was by the desk and none in the bathroom. Our room wasn't made up until after 2 pm. Valet parking was outrageous at $28 a night. Self park was $23 and in the garage catty corner to the hotel. When we checked in the staff at the concierge desk encouraged us to come by so they could give us discount coupons which was more of a ruse to try to convince us to spend 90 minutes in a sales presentation to get a free or discounted stay at one of their resorts. There is an outdoor pool and spa, but both were loaded with kids and was not enticing at all. TIP: Be sure you have a Wyndham Reward account which gets you free in room wifi. Would I stay there again - I don't think so.

Room Tip: In-room wifi is free with Wyndham Rewards account. Ask for a room with a view. Ours looked out onto...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
GM-KevinLatone, General Manager at Wyndham San Antonio Riverwalk, responded to this reviewResponded June 2, 2014

realst8ace,
Thank you for your constructive comments. Sorry to hear you did not prefer our location, many of our guests actually do. I apologize you had a challenge with the toilet. In the future, I welcome you to contact us when in the hotel, so we can correct these type of issues. We can also service your room at whatever time you would require, again simply let us know. Our valet parking prices are among the lowest in the downtown area, and we also have street parking and other alternatives nearby. I appreciate your acknowledging our renovation, which will be completed later in the year.

Reviewed May 31, 2014

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends

Reviewed May 30, 2014

I woke up early and went down to get coffee so I would not wake up my family seen that there was coffee and cups on the counter so I got a cup the waiter came up and said you know the coffee is not free and neither is refills it cost $2.00 dollars and so does the refills and you need to pay here the cashier will be here soon .I will wait here until she comes for you too pay for it . I said okay I am a guest here in room 1519 can I charge it to my room no he said you can not y extremely rude. so later that morning I called the front desk and check out a day early because of this person and the way he treated me and I did report it when I check out of what happen

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family

Verna W.,
Thank you for making me aware of your experience in attempting to purchase a cup of coffee. I would like to apologize for our inability to create a positive experience for you. If you would be kind enough to take the time to share with me more details of the individual to counsel, I would welcome your doing so. I can be reached via email at Kevin.Latone@sawyn.com or 210-362-6430.

Reviewed May 30, 2014

I read a number of these reviews before my wife and I checked in, and I was a little concerned. Here's the good and bad and the improving:
The Good
- Excellent location. It's not the closest to the restaurants on Riverwalk, but it is on the Riverwalk and the restaurants are all of beautiful 6 minute walk along the river.
- Staff friendliness. No issues here. Everyone was great.
- Room size. We had a king size bed. Room was of a good size. A little dated, but we liked it.
- Price. Competitive
- WiFi. I had no problems with the speed. I travel a lot. WiFi speed was comparable. It was free with my wife's conference, otherwise it's not. In which case it would be on the bad list. I don't like paying for WiFi.
The Bad
- Housecleaning. I think they're struggling with suitable staffing. We had a used coffee cup placed for reuse next to the coffee maker. (Ick!) The next morning, where we had left a coffee cup in the bathroom with a "coffee circle" was not cleaned. In general, the bathroom was just not clean.
- Parking. We had a conference discount for parking. Otherwise you're looking at $30/night in a parking garage that's not attached. Good luck finding information on the parking rate on their web page. Hidden fees like that are not acceptable in my opinion.
The Improving
- The are working on renovations, and have some displays in the lobby on their plans. The hotel is dated, and it is time for renovations, and they're working on them as they should.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kathy S

Kathy S.,
I appreciate your taking the time to write such an in depth assessment of your stay with us. I can tell you genuinely care about your comments being perceived as value to future guests and me. And they are. I was glad to hear your experience was positive. I apologize for the housekeeping attention to detail that was missing. I am a relatively new GM, and it was recently brought to my attention our website did not have parking information listed. That will be soon corrected. We would welcome your return to renovated guestrooms later this summer.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business

Reviewed May 29, 2014

Check-in went fine...self park v valet at $4 difference is outrageous. More importantly, the room was not sufficiently cleaned, and when we asked for more towels, the lady was rude and then they did not give us any additional hand towels. Overall, I was very disappointed in the customer service at this property and expect more from a Wyndham hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel and Resorts
GM-KevinLatone, General Manager at Wyndham San Antonio Riverwalk, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. While you felt our parking fees were outragious, I want you to know they are one of the lowest amoung the downtown hotels. I apologize for not cleaning your room sufficiently. I would apprecaite hearing more on this. Feel free to email me directly at kevin.latone@sawyn.com.