“A Very Pleasant Surprise”

Residence Inn San Antonio Downtown/Market Square
Ranked #85 of 354 Hotels in San Antonio
Detroit, Michigan
“A Very Pleasant Surprise”
Reviewed March 26, 2013

I was attending a conference in San Antonio and failed to get a room at the conference hotel. I chose the Residence Inn at Market Square after a frantic search. May wife accompanied me on the trip. When we drove up my expectations immediately went south. The exterior was not terrible, just lacked some measure of "wow" factor you kind of expect. Check-in was quick and efficient. Staff people went out of their way to thank us for choosing their hotel. I did not see any other guests - that concerned me.

The room was smaller than expected, but clean and well maintained -with the exception of an old red recliner and ottoman that showed the signs of wear. In short, I wasn't feeling real good about my choice at this point. However, that would change shortly. That night we attended their cookout featuring hamburgers and hot dogs. People, families and guests were everywhere. What a spread! Sodas, bottled water, wine, coffee and Coronas were flowing. Salads and trimmings were plentiful. Fresh baked cookies were steadily being brought out. It was great. WE were encouraged to take something back to the room. Our attitude changed. We had a comfortable first night and appreciated the full kitchen with dishes and silverware. The dishes were washed in the dishwasher each day by the maid. The service was outstanding.

The front desk staff was great. Dewayne was our anchor person. He was simply outstanding and made my wife very comfortable. She came to really love this place. Breakfast was very, very nice every day, and my wife was content as I attended meetings daily. When we visited the Alamo on Saturday, Dewayne gave us drinks to help survive the hot, muggy weather - A real touch of class.

We would definitely stay at this property again. We are accustomed to places like the Marriott Plaza, but the personal touches we experienced at the Residence Inn Market Square property are unforgettable. Thanks for an outstanding stay.
KH and RH

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Residence_Inn_Hotel, Manager at Residence Inn San Antonio Downtown/Market Square, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
We appreciate the review of your experience at our hotel. We are very pleased to hear that you and your wife enjoyed our hot breakfast buffet and the dinner and beverages provided during the evening social. We look forward to providing you with our spectacular service during your next visit to San Antonio!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Austin, Texas
Reviewed February 10, 2013 via mobile

We have stayed in this Residence Inn about a year ago and were pleased. Things sure change in a year. This hotel is in a great location for when we come to town to go to the Alamodome... But I am not sure we will be back. We are Marriott Elite members who have stayed at Residence Inn all over the country... And I hate to say but this was the worst shape one we have ever seen. The staff was very friendly and tried to be accommodating... But it can only go so far. The furniture was all old and run down. There were missing tiles in the bathroom, the shower head was an adjustable sprayer, but it was broke so I hope you like massage setting. The sink faucet leaked, the counter top was chipped and in bad shape. The room was warm and had no thermostats to adjust the temp... When we called the front desk about the temp they had no idea since there was no thermostat in the room.
We are still very loyal Marriott people... Just probably not this location.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Michael B
Residence_Inn_Hotel, Manager at Residence Inn San Antonio Downtown/Market Square, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Thank you for your review of your recent stay. We appreciate your feedback and the opportunity to improve the experiences of our future guests. Our team is working dilligently to resolve the issues mentioned. When your travels bring you back to the Alamo City we hope to have the opportunity to serve you with the standards you have come to expect from the Marriott name. Again, Thank you.
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed September 3, 2012

This is a very typical Residence Inm. I have nothing to complain about the hotel.
I recently stayed at a one bedroom suite which was very pleasant and clean. This Residence Inn staffs were very professional and courteous. I was quickly checked in. The hotel is located within walking distance to the Market Square Area. The furniture and the decoration are out of date. The room needs to be modernized. The hotel provides complimentary parking. The breakfast was very good with full of various items. Overall, it is a nice Residence Inn.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Chul A
Residence_Inn_Hotel, Manager at Residence Inn San Antonio Downtown/Market Square, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Thank you for providing a review of your recent stay at our hotel! We apprecaite your feedback as we work to continuously improve the guest experience at our property. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed a clean and friendly atmosphere during your stay. We hope to welcome you back soon!
Caddo Mills, Texas
Reviewed August 14, 2012

My family and I stayed here last month, we booked it through the seaworld package deal. It was well worth every penny.. we had the one bedroom studio suite, which was perfect size for the four of us. The breakfast was very good, we just had to wait in line, (suggest getting in there early). The pool was great, staff was very polite. We strongly recommend doing the seaworld dine and play package. Hotel is perfectly located in between seaworld and the river walk. We can't wait to come back!!:)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Residence_Inn_Hotel, Manager at Residence Inn San Antonio Downtown/Market Square, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
Thank you for such a wonderful review! We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed the hotel and created such a great memory with your family! We look forward to welcoming you back next summer!
Beaumont, Texas, United States
Reviewed August 8, 2012

My husband and I with two kids (7 year old, 4 month old). We instantly felt welcomed. Everyone was friendly, and the Wed special (free) hamburger dinner by the manager and staff was a great surprise. We enjoyed our 4 day stay.

To top it off, we left our stroller and a few things, and they mailed it back!!! No hassles.

Will stay again and highly recommend to others.

Room Tip: had a studio suite with kitchen and it was a great size for a family with children.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Residence_Inn_Hotel, Manager at Residence Inn San Antonio Downtown/Market Square, responded to this review, August 14, 2012
Hi Janie, Thank you for sharing your experience at our hotel. We are happy to hear that you and your family enjoyed the service and evening social hour that our hotel provided. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit the Alamo City!
Houston, Texas
Reviewed July 17, 2012

l recently stayed at this RI, Market Square over a weekend trip to San Antonio, TX, for a quick visit of the Riverwalk and surrounding area. This Residence Inn is staffed with very professional and courteous people. I was quickly checked in and ensured I had everything I needed. It is within walking distance to the Market Square Area, which really is a large flea market and couple of expensive Mexican restaurants. Regarding the rooms, it was decent and clean and I had a couple, quiet, comfortable nights stay and felt safe. As other travellers have pointed out, the furniture is quite worn. The rooms need to be modernized up to year 2012. The flat screen tv was the only addition to the room that made it look modern. The decor and furniture is out of date (1990-ish) and should be kept up with Marriotts high standards for this brand name. For the price, one could stay at a more modern hotel with amenities. However, it was worth it not having to pay for parking like the other hotels in the Riverwalk area charge (~$20/night). The breakfast bar was good; full of various items, was well staffed, and kept clean. This RI met my expectations, but with a little TLC, could be receiving higher ratings.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank kelsogee
Residence_Inn_Hotel, Manager at Residence Inn San Antonio Downtown/Market Square, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
Thank you for your thorough review of our hotel! We appreciate your kind words about our staff, cleanliness, breakfast buffet, free parking and location! As you mentioned, we are working towards modernization of our hotel with the new HD flat screen TV's in every room. We appreciate your feedback as we look for areas of opportunity to continuously improve our Marriott hotel. We hope to welcome you back in the near future!
Reviewed July 10, 2012

My husband and I stayed here with our 3 children last month. We booked the hotel through Seaworld. This particular hotel is not up to what we would consider Marriott standards. The one room suite we were in was very small, with old, worn furniture and no bedding for the sofa bed. I had to call down to the front desk both nights to get the bedding, which consisted of a sheet set that was too big, 2 twin size thin wool blankets and one pillow. On our second night, my family had to stand in line and wait for more food to be brought out. They also advertise a complimentary appetizer and wine or beer...there were no appetizers, and they only offered 3 types of canned beer, and no wine.
Unfortunately, I lost my wedding band in the pool area. It must have fallen out of my bag. We looked everywhere and couldn't find it. I notified the front desk, and was told if found, they would contact me ASAP. They did call me about 2 hours after we checked out and said it had been found. They offered to take 'proper preparations to ensure your ring makes it to you'...2 weeks later, I still have no ring. Come to find out they taped it to letter, put it in an envelope and sent it out with the daily mail. There is no way to track it, or even prove they did in fact send it. Never again will we stay there.

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank awakley
Residence_Inn_Hotel, Manager at Residence Inn San Antonio Downtown/Market Square, responded to this review, July 26, 2012
We appreciate that you have brought these issues to our attention. I am so sorry you were disappointed in your stay with us. It is our goal to make sure every guest has a positive stay and we apologize that this was not your experience.

Our hotel offers a complimentary evening reception on Monday – Wednesday that includes a light dinner, beer and wine. Typically we have advertised that we only offer appetizers, however this has been upgraded to a light dinner. We apologize for the confusion that both would be offered. Our current offerings consist of a light dinner, salad, dessert, 3 options of beer, 3 options of wine, and various sodas. I apologize that these options were not made clear.

We were relived to have been able to assist in the recovery of your wedding band. The ring was returned immediately via regular mail and was unfortunately returned “undeliverable”. The package was resent via FedEx and our tracking information has confirmed a direct signature delivery on 07/20/2012.

We hope you will consider staying with us again in the future. Thank you.