“Was delighted with our stay- Perfect for Basic Military Graduation”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson Lackland AFB (San Antonio)
Ranked #60 of 354 Hotels in San Antonio
Carencro, Louisiana
“Was delighted with our stay- Perfect for Basic Military Graduation”
Reviewed April 5, 2009

My husband and myself in one room, two nephew's and brother-in-law in another, and extended family members in another room, all (9) of us enjoyed our stay. All commented rooms were clean, freshly painted, and modern with fridge and microwave.
Beds were pillowtop and very comfortable as were the four pillows on our kingsized bed. Lady bartender, desk workers, room attendants, manager, and restaurant server and Host Al were very friendly and competent. Desk workers accomodated an early check-in for us for 11:30-12:00 p.m. as we were very tired from driving. Location was very convenient to Lackland AFB and they give you written directions to various locations like Air Bases, Downtown, Sea World. Not a far drive to Sea World either. Breakfast omlets, french toast, pancakes and eggs were perfect. . Pool area and pool were clean. Area covered near pool to sit and use laptop or WiFI in your room, or use their laptop in lobby. TV and sofa in lobby where you can sit and watch Plasma TV. They were booked up before we got there. I suggest you make your reservations early( at least three weeks or more) through Military Hotels website to get best rate which was $80.25/night.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gotoperson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Oklahoma CIty
Reviewed July 16, 2008

I and two colleagues traveled to San Antonio for a week-long course at Lackland AFB. Not being familiar with San Antonio, we made reservations at this Holiday Inn because it seemed the nicest in the area. The staff is very friendly. However, both rooms had ants. In one room: the iron was broken and the light in the bathroom kept turning off while showering. The other room was not cleaned/made up for 3 days. We assume this was because the sign had been left out not to change the linens. The "exercise room" was out of date and not well ventilated. We did not feel safe to explore the neighborhood outside of the hotel, and there were fliers posted by the hotel warning of interactions with certain local business people. When we did some research, we found that for the same price (AAA rate) we could stay in a modern hotel on the Riverwalk (Hyatt Regency). Lackland AFB was a 10-15 min easy freeway drive at 8am and 4pm. On the Riverwalk we felt safe to explore the fabulous San Antonio culture for 4 more nights. For the same price the riverwalk hotel had so much more to offer. I suggest you research other options before your stay. If you have to stay close to the AFB due to transportation issues, this Holiday Inn is a tolerable option for a night or two. If you are going to rent a car anyway, consider the Riverwalk area instead.

• Liked — friendly staff
  • Disliked — neighborhood
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed June 21, 2008

I flew down to San Antonio for my husbands graduation from BMT. I was a little sceptical about staying here due to the pretty bad reviews, and expected the worse. I really really enjoyed my stay here and I would definitly reccomend it to others. The pool is absolutely gorgeous and crystal clear clean. The hotel staff was the nicest of any hotel I've ever been to. Housekeeping was absolutely fabulous. I thought the bed was very comfortable. I think the only big thing I disliked was when we first got there the room was very humid. (San Antonio is VERY humid) and the bed and floors were moist with the humidity. After running the air conditioner for about 15 minutes it was fine for the rest of the stay. A few small things I disliked was the TV. It didn't have a DVD player, or even hookups to plug one in. Also, the TV didn't have a sleep timer on it. The hotel does not offer free continental breakfast, but the restaruant downstairs was very fairly priced and wonderful. Its very close to the base and every other hotel in the area was a complete dump. If you're looking for somewhere to stay for BMT graduation, watch out for the other hotels in the area....... and I definitly reccommend this one.

• Liked — The gorgeous outdoor pool
  • Disliked — The humidity
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank misslysxo
AKTA P, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson Lackland AFB (San Antonio), responded to this review, January 22, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. Sounds like you had a great stay. We are glad you were able to relax in our comfortable beds. We will look into DVR and TV timer.

Once again Thank you staying with us.
Akta Patel
San Francisco Bay Area
Reviewed April 3, 2008

We stayed at this hotel for my brother's basic training graduation. This hotel is only an ok stay if you want to be very close to Lackland AFB. It's probably the nicest hotel of those close to the base. But, I would only stay here if you want to be really close to the base and want something a little cheaper than what you can find in San Antonio itself. The Riverwalk area in San Antonio is beautiful and you can go hang out in the evening there. I would recommend a hotel there.

The Hotel:
It was clean. Beds were fairly comfy. There are no elevators, so if you have any mobility problems or don't want to do stairs with your suitcases get a ground floor room!

They have a nice pool and hot tub in the center of the hotel. There are a lot of people who used it on Saturday, the day that the graduates get a town pass (honor grads get town on Sunday as well, but those are much fewer). After Saturday's use by so many people both the pool and hot tub were disgusting. That was unfortunate, as I would have like to use it again, but no way. It was not cleaned by the time we left on Monday.

There seemed to be a lot of confusion with the cleaning staff. One day they cleaned our room and then knocked on the door three seperate times to see if it had been cleaned.

There is a restaurant that serves breakfast and dinner. The buscuits and gravy were passable for breakfast. The tacos for dinner are terrible (no seasoning) and my dad said that the chicken was pretty good. Don't plan on having a "quick" meal here. They were pretty slow.

• Liked — Hot Tub/Pool Until Dirty
  • Disliked — Dirty Hot Tub/Pool
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
Houston
Reviewed January 7, 2008

Stayed at this hotel for sons graduation, and after visiting some of the other hotels in the Lackland AFB Area, we were at the best one. Front Desk Staff very friendly and great pool atrium area. They said that they went through a rennovation and it looks great!

• Liked — Pool Area
  • Disliked — Fitness Center
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank dgt008541
Edwardsville, IL
Reviewed August 15, 2007

The hotel was not too bad, but did have some problems. When we first arrived there was no hot water in the room. I asked the hotel clerk about it and he said that everyone must have took a shower at the same time and used all the hot water up. I thought that was a strange answer. But we did have hot water in the morning.

We ran out of tissues the first night and maid service did not bother refilling the 2ndt day. The 3rd day we set the kleenex box out on the sink and they did replace it that day.

We did not get fresh wash clothes the 2nd day either. But everytime I asked the hotel staff for extra towels, pillows, etc. they were helpful.

There is a pool in an enclosed center courtyard that is nice. And it is very close to Lackland AFB which is why I choose this hotel since we were there to see our daughters Air Force Basic Training Graduation.

• Liked — Location to Lackland AFB
  • Disliked — Not the best maid service.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank Munkc99
Houston, TX
Reviewed June 17, 2007

I went to this hotel in hopes that we would have a lovely time while there. It says on the website that the hotel is located in a Suburban area but when you pull up it looks like you are in an unsafe place totally. I did not take pictures but wish I had. Anyway, we arrive and are assigned our rooms only to find out that there is no elevator. This means that we have to carry our items up to the second floor. No problem for me but it really did not help the older persons who were with us. Next we get some coupons to have a free breakfast and we think hey this trip and stay may turn out to be cool after all. Now the coupon was to be used for the remainer o our stay, but come Saturday morning the story was different. W were told that the coupons were worthless and that the hotel lost a lot of money b/c of that. They fired the manager who I will not name but I do not think that was fair. Besides as much as we paid to stay in that dump the coupns should have been honored.

To anyone who is going to visit SA in the future please do not stay at this place. I could go on but the manager being fired was what made the stay beyond cool.

• Liked — Patty from the bar and the Chef
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed June 2007