“You get what you pay for”

Travelodge San Antonio Lackland A F B
Ranked #225 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed March 21, 2011

I stayed here for my fiance's graduation from bmt and the location was very convenient to Lackland Afb. My only complaint was my room was right by the ice machine and it must have been broken because I can hear ice coming out of there every 20 minutes.Overall it was decent. I was only there to sleep anyway. The room was ok. The service was ok everything was just ok. It could use some updating but it wasn't a deal breaker for me. You pretty much get what you pay for.

• Stayed: March 2011
1  Thank Jessica419
There are newer reviews for Travelodge San Antonio Lackland A F B

Reviewed February 21, 2011

We checked into this hotel about 10:00 at night. Our taxi driver warned us it was a bad part of town and he was right! To begin with the man who checked us in was friendly....but maybe a little too much. When we got to our room we realized he didn't give us the wifi code. We had to call him for it and he wanted to make us go in to the office to get it instead of over the phone......creepy. As we were contemplating if it was safe to stay the night a group of travelers attempted to enter our room...which had an outdoor entrance. Knowing the keys can be copied and used and are not specific to our room and time of stay this was very dangerous. Also we noticed to lock on the door had been broken off and screwed back on. When we called to local police station to see if it was safe to stay there, although they couldn't tell us anything about the hotel for confidentiality reasons, they did tell us to get out if we felt unsafe. Having relatives in law enforcement we called them and they told us that what the station said was a clear sign that it was not safe to be there. We left that night. When we called to cancel our reservations because we felt it was unsafe to return alone and had no one to return with us they were not friendly at all. We booked over expedia and they would not let us cancel or get a refund. Pretty dumb if you ask me....especially because we were not trying to get money back from the first night we checked in and didn't stay there. All I can say about this place is that it is not safe or neighborly...it is scary and you won't get a good night sleep unless you have a bodyguard or something. We were there for a graduation at Lackland and I suggest to everyone that it is very easy to get a safe and clean hotel near the airport or riverwalk....the San Antonio bus system is cheap and easy to navigate.....I figured it out at 6:00 in the morning after 2 hours of sleep, they drop you off right at the gate and pick you up right outside it.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank skylily
Reviewed October 9, 2010

We stayed for almost a week and were very pleased with our accommodations. The staff was friendly and helpful. Was frustrated that I couldn't get connected to WIFI. Even manager called a tech who couldn't figure it out--never had that happen before. Otherwise, our stay was very pleasant. Pool was clean. Few finger smudges on the fridge and microwave and disappointing "convenience store" nearly were the only negative comments. We'll go back if son-in-law gets stationed at Lackland in the future.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed August 30, 2010

We stayed 2 nights in the hotel. Couldn't change hotels had booked through Hotels.com
would have been charged for the stay anyway.
Both Beds you could see the springs in the mattresses.
We told the clerk at the desk the air conditioner wasn't cooling our room.
She didn't offer maintaince, she just gave us a fan. lol
This is August in Texaas! S Fan Dont Really Help!!
My Parents got bit by something in the bed.
It was Horrible!!! I wouldn't recomment this Hotel to Anyone!!!!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed June 18, 2010

My older son & I stayed at this motel for 5 nights, to visit my younger son who was graduating from basic training at Lackland Air Force Base. The neighborhood surrounding the base is not great (the used car dealership adjacent to the motel had signs announcing 24-hr. armed guard on premises), but we felt entirely safe on the well-lit motel grounds. There's nothing fancy about the place, just a lot of bang for your buck. The pool was clean & refreshing, there was a reasonably-decent free continental breakfast available every morning, it was very handy to have a coin-op washer & dryer on-site, and the manager was extremely helpful with any question we asked. The motel website says "300 yds. from the Base" -- don't let that fool you, because there's no GATE 300 yds. away, and you still have to drive to the base. But the location is extremely convenient. I would stay here again, if I was visiting the base.

• Stayed: June 2010
Reviewed May 17, 2010

They gave us a smoking room. We requested no smoking. The room reeked. They could not give us a no smoking room; they were booked full. We were prepaid, and we had to pull teeth to get our money back. Their "continental breakfast" wasn't good at all; go to McDonalds. They have a lot of cockroaches. Their vending machines don't have much selection - try liquor store across street. They didn't seem to care if you were satisfied or not.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed April 18, 2010

I suppose you get what you pay for, but I've paid half the price we got for much better rooms before. I was there for MBT graduation, and the location was very convenient. The owner is incredibly nice, but there were just too many problems to recommend this motel.

There were a completely unacceptable number of roaches and other insects around the property. While it may be typical for Texas as some folks told us, I did not see anywhere near the same number of vermin elsewhere in my travels around San Antonio. I don't think that this is typical of the region, but I could be wrong.

We booked a non-smoking room, but the only room left was apparently a smoking room. I've stayed in smoking rooms before, including in Las Vegas, and I've NEVER smelled a room as foul and nauseating as ours. We only stayed at this hotel the first night because our flight arrived at SAT at 2345, and we were very tired. I use a CPAP, and I think I'm going to have to get a new filter, tubing, and mask after using it for ONE night in the room.

I've had a persistent cough for several days since we stayed there, and all of our clothing is going to be double washed. My in-laws were in another room that was better, but their room smelled like severe mold the same as ours. The paint in the bathroom was relatively fresh, but it was discoloring quickly through the walls from what appeared to be the mold or other nasties. I should have just slept in the car

I didn't realize there was a free breakfast until we got there, but if you're expecting anything serious, you're in the wrong place. The little muffins and breads were OK, but what we thought was orange juice was actually Tang and the coffee tasted like leftovers from the previous day at the local gas station. We stopped at McDonald's on the way to the ceremony.

A security problem I noticed: they have magnetic keycards for the rooms, but they aren't reprogrammed for each guest. The cards are kept in a little safe in the office, and given upon check in. It would be trivial to copy the card and go grab things out of the room next week, next month, or next year.

We also saw a really gross stain on the chair in the room. I'd prefer not to think much about what it might have been from.

My wife couldn't take it, so we checked out 6 or 7 hours after we checked in and got a room at a different hotel near the airport. The location was not nearly as convenient, but we didn't want to take any chances so we stuck with a large major chain. With the difference in what we spent on the second room, we more than made up for it with the included meals, drinks, and additional room to spread out.

The owner was nice, but didn't seem too worried about us leaving after the first of our 3 nights. Let's hope the website we booked with can get us a proper refund.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple