“Wonderful Little Gem!”

Ranked #12 of 266 things to do in San Antonio
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Originally a rock quarry, part of the tea garden came from a donation by George W. Brackenridge and another section from Emma Koehler. In 1915 Ray Lambert, city parks commissioner, thought it would make a nice location for a lily pond. Ultimately, it grew to become a tea garden. The latest renovations began in 2007 and cost about $1.6 million, compared with the $7,000 Lambert originally spent to open the park. It is a Registered Texas Historic Landmark and on the National Register of Historic Places.
Reviewed June 5, 2013

We explored this beautiful garden area in early spring and loved every minute. It's small and compact but every bit of it is wonderful to see. Lots of paths, bridges, stairs, nooks, and views. Beautiful flowers, lovely stone, giant fish! Our kids rate this as a highlight of the trip.

Free parking and admission. You could spend as little as thirty minutes here or linger much longer. Make sure you take time to see this!

Reviewed June 4, 2013

We visited the Tea Gardens on a Saturday morning. There were professional photo shoots going on, but this didn't block us or interfere with our viewing in any way. This is a very, very peaceful place. If I had attended one of the colleges nearby I could see myself doing a lot of my studying here. You can really spend as much or as little time as you wanted here and it would still be a great experience. We were watching turtles chase each other under water and were enjoying watching all of the kids as they would get excited about the fish.

Reviewed June 3, 2013

This well-designed and well-maintained garden is so relaxing you will want to just sit and enjoy for hours. However, you can take it all in in about 30 minutes if you want.

Reviewed June 2, 2013

I cannot say how many times I have been here over my life but each time is just magical. The amount of work that went in to building this place not to mention maintaining it is incredible. Take your time and enjoy a stroll through history.

1  Thank Brad S
Reviewed June 1, 2013

I saw this in the San Antonio Visitor's Guide that I ordered online. Great free attraction. It was an old rock quarry and is now a beautiful garden with koi ponds, turtles and frogs in the water. Great rock bridges and a amazing waterfall. Great place to take pictures and spend the afternoon. Lots of little trails but it is all uneven walking so wear good shoes and pay attention. Super easy to fall. So glad we went.