“Loved the Old Rock Quarry”

Japanese Tea Gardens
Ranked #11 of 270 things to do in San Antonio
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Originally a rock quarry, part of the tea garden came from a donation by George W. Brackenridge and another section from Emma Koehler. In 1915 Ray Lambert, city parks commissioner, thought it would make a nice location for a lily pond. Ultimately, it grew to become a tea garden. The latest renovations began in 2007 and cost about $1.6 million, compared with the $7,000 Lambert originally spent to open the park. It is a Registered Texas Historic Landmark and on the National Register of Historic Places.
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Absolutely Beautiful! If you're visiting San Antonio, this is a must. We wanted to have lunch there but couldn't figure out which door to use and no one was helpful so we went to the Texas Land and Cattle Co. near our hotel. The garden is free of charge and so is photography as long as it is not professional.

1  Thank honestlyopinionated
Write a ReviewReviews (1,368)

Reviewed November 5, 2012

I was looking for something to do in the morning in San Antonio and found the Japanese Tea Garden listed on a website. It was a short drive from where I was staying so I decided to check it out. I arrived early and for a while seemed to have the place largely to myself. The atmosphere is peaceful and contemplative. It did get more crowded as the morning wore on, so I suggest going early. It is a wonderful place to take photos with beautiful flowers, a stone bridge and a rock bridge. They also have a tea house with a good selection for herbal teas and baked good that I took advantage of. There is indoor and outdoor seating. I chose the outdoor seating as I wanted to enjoy the atmosphere. I would recommend it for a romantic walk, a photo op or just a quiet getaway from the hustle and bustle of a big city.

1  Thank gandolftx
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Who would have thought that this beautiful garden area would be in a city setting? It reminds me of a state park I went to in Hawaii. The waterfall is stunning and the rock gazebo would be a perfect location for a wedding! I would highly recommend you go see this!

Reviewed November 4, 2012

Well done and nicely set up. A nice mix plants, the paths are clean and free of debris. The trees and shrubs are well groomed. It could use a plaque out front explaining the history and the two different names it has had in it's past. The main building is new and in excellent condition. The service was helpful. It's scenic and spacious and the price is great.

Reviewed November 4, 2012

Depending on the time of the year and whether or not the gardens have been kept up with, this can be a great place to visit and take pictures of the kids at.