“You have not lived until you visit this site”

San Antonio Central Library
Ranked #106 of 270 things to do in San Antonio
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: You may not want to read a book, but a visit to the library is worth just to see the Chihuly blown glass sculpture in San Antonio's downtown library. Just walk in the main door and look up. It reminds me of the confetti flying out of a cascarón (a eggshell stuffed with confetti and cracked over someone's head during Fiesta).
Reviewed December 30, 2012

Books are great, but the history of this building always is unreal.
An old sears store many yrs. ago. , then this beautiful library emerged.
A must see...The Chuhuly glass sculpture in the Library as well as other unique finds will make your visit so unique

Reviewed October 14, 2012

Definitely one of my favorite places in SA to go and get lost for a while. Time always gets away from me, I like to find excuses to make copies of things and like to read as I walk the rows of shelves rather than sitting down. I would totally live at this library if I could!!!

Reviewed September 4, 2012

Don't miss the Tom Thumb and circus exhibit--it's unique! You'll pass the library on the river boat and hear a bit of the story if you're lucky.

Reviewed August 21, 2012

I use my neighborhood library often, but when I want a treat I go to the "Big Enchilada" downtown....The best part for me is the Friends of the library book cellar downstairs...bargains galore.

Reviewed August 20, 2012

The only building in San Antonio painted Enchilada Red! You can see it from a mile away, so be sure to see the inside too. Don't miss the beautiful glass statue in the main entrance room. Ask how they clean it. Go to the basement for some great buys on used books.