“Nightmares”

Book In Advance
Buy Tickets Online
$21.64*
and up
The Buckhorn Saloon & Museum and Texas Ranger...
$42.11*
and up
San Antonio Hop-On Hop-Off Trolley Tour, River Cruise, and Tower of the...
$92.00*
San Antonio Explorer Pass
Ranked #34 of 266 things to do in San Antonio
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: For over 135 years, The Buckhorn Saloon has been known as a gathering place for good conversation, great food and spectacular wildlife exhibits. Explore the animal halls and prepare yourself for a truly immersive adventure. Practice your sharp shooting skills in our Toepperwein Shooting Gallery and explore over 500 different animals from around the world. The Texas Ranger Museum houses Texas Ranger artifacts including antique revolvers, automatic handguns, shotguns, badges, photographs and much more. Sip a refreshing drink as you stroll through the 33,000 square feet of artifacts from Texas history. Don't forget to grab a bite of lunch in our Cafe and pick up some souvenirs in our gift shop! The Cafe is open daily for lunch from 11:00 AM to 3:00 PM. Both museums open daily at 10:00 AM. Call for exact closing times. Summer hours 10AM to 9PM. Off season hours vary. Located two blocks from the Alamo and one block from the Riverwalk, The Buckhorn Saloon and Museum and Texas Ranger Museum have something for everyone!
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Stairs / elevator, Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access
Reviewed October 17, 2013

I will have nightmares for a while after seeing this place. Any animal you can think of has been killed, taxidermied, and put on display. Sad. And, the tickets were too much many. They were good for 2 days. I certainly did not want to come back for a second day, the first day was gruesome enough. There was no option for a one day only ticket. I wonder if anyone uses the second day? Your ticket did get you 10% off a drink in the saloon if you wanted to carry one through with you. I should have, it might have made it less painful to view. I did like the sideshow section and the Texas Ranger section better. I was glad to get out of there.

2  Thank joanmaxine

Reviewed October 11, 2013

We were surprised by the size of this place after you enter the front door. It is enormous and has an endless amount of animal taxidermy and Ranger memorabilia. It took us about three hours to complete the tour. The admission price is a little high at $18 per, but the amount of "stuff" in this place makes it well worth it.

Reviewed October 9, 2013

My favorite stop in San Antonio! Forget the Alamo, and go have a drink at the oldest bar in Texas. This place has two museums for you to walk through. They recently re-did the Texas History portion, and it's really got a lot to see and read. The second part is like a museum of oddities/weirdness. The cool thing is that you can come back the next day for free if you keep your receipt. The coolest part...you can drink your way through the museum! We bought a bucket of beer and had a blast wandering through the whole place. The kids will love the stuffed animals, and the adults can enjoy a beverage in the air conditioning as the kids play. Also, the FOOD is amazing! It's definitely a neat place to go, and I promise you won't forget it :) If you like weird and fun...this place is for you!

2  Thank Cheryl L
Tyler20, Director of Sales at The Buckhorn Saloon and Texas Ranger Museum, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2013

Thank you so much for your wonderful review. You really covered every part of the museum from the historic saloon & bar to the renovated history and animal exhibits. We are thrilled that you had such a good time. Please come back and visit again soon!

Karen Bippert
Director of Sales & Marketing
The Buckhorn Saloon & Museum

Reviewed October 7, 2013

We were down here celebrating with our Air Force graduate. My son's graduating group had reserved the upstairs "ballroom". The tickets included a modest buffet with admission to all the rooms. The rooms across from the ballroom had the most stuffed animals I have every seen. My family is an outdoors kinda family. We were in our element in regard to being totally interested in the 500 some species. Each room had a different theme. There was a freak show/circus/funhouse room at the end. We had fun. Oh, and I believe this was the bar Chevy Chase had the bar scene in the original Vacation movie. There was a blind card dealer in the upstairs ballroom who was dressed like a cowboy. He had tremendous hands, knowledge and fun. A true gentlemen. I will never play cards for money again after learning from him. WOW!!

Reviewed September 24, 2013

I saw this in passing as I was wandering through downtown and decided it was somewhere I'd have to come back to another day. I'm glad I did. The museum is a bit pricey, but your ticket gets you entry to both the Buckhorn Museum and the Texas Ranger Museum, with a small discount off any food you might want to buy from the cafe.

My immediate reaction to walking into the Buckhorn museum and seeing all the stuffed deer heads on the wall was that for the first time in two weeks I felt like I'd actually found a little piece of Texas, as imagined by those of us who aren't natives! There are a LOT of dead animals in this place - they're even nailed to the ceiling fans. It's bigger than it looks as well. I was there a good two hours.

The stuffed displays are organised into various sections (Arctic, Africa etc.) You'll also find a strange corner called the Side Show, where there are a lot of very odd bits and pieces. Very very odd. There are also these creepy mannequins with video faces that seem to be activated by eye contact. Okay, maybe that's just me being a bit over-sensitive... but they are seriously freaky. Keep your kids away from them.

The Texas Ranger museum is a bit less exciting, but makes a nice addition to the visit. The highlight is probably the bullet-ridden car in which Bonnie and Clyde were apprehended. You'll also learn a bit about the Rangers, who they are and what they do.

I decided to stop for lunch and was a bit disappointed with the food. I had a pulled pork sandwich, which was very dry despite the messy blob of barbecue sauce that had been poured on it. It was also quite expensive for what it was.

Good points: the attractive man in the cowboy hat who invited me in off the street, skeet shooting game, great atmosphere.

Bad points: poor quality food, creepy mannequins.

1  Thank SarahKnowsThisOne