“Aging hang out but not really a musuem”

The DoSeum - San Antonio's Museum for Kids
Ranked #29 of 265 things to do in San Antonio
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Now open! The DoSeum is San Antonio's newest cultural attraction and is fun for the whole family! Designed for kids age 0-10, The DoSeum features 6 major exhibit halls and 2 outdoor yards for all day fun and learning. Come on out and see why The DoSeum is the place to be this summer!
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Stroller parking, Wheelchair access, Stairs / elevator, Food available for purchase
Fairfax, Virginia
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Aging hang out but not really a musuem”
Reviewed January 5, 2013

The exhibits are really showing their age. While there are a few areas of education most things are simply play areas such as the wet room with water and boats and the pretend store downstairs. My 5 and 7 year old kids were entertained but for $45 for the four of us to go in and let the kids run around was a bit steep and no education to speak of. The only reason we went was because it was raining and the facility was right next to our hotel.

3 Thank Mark B

San Antonio, Texas
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“OK but ADD new stuff, MAINTAIN it & Clean it!”
Reviewed January 4, 2013

My 8 year did like this museum. What he and I liked:

1. HEB little market, with real products to scan on registers.
2. The pulley elevator was very cool. You had to pull yourself and others, which could be well over 100 lbs.
3. The gravel truck was also cool. Gave you the feeling of what a truck driver works with.
4. My son's favorite one was an area where there a bunch of colorful balls that went up a conveyer belt then dropped to the floor.
5. Healthy vendor snacks, I couldn't believe it.

Now the parts I did not like.

A Victorian section still dull and the same.

I got very upset when my son entered the air traffic controller area and the simulated computers were not operating at all.

Also, there needs to be more chairs and benches for adults to sit on since parents will be there for a while.

Now there was an air section that was poorly maintained with papers and baskets everywhere on the floor with no sense of direction on how the thing operated. There were no parents or kids who wanted to be in this section.

I heard a new will be built in 2015. I hope it will be a lot better than this one!

Visited January 2013
1 Thank chatoaburida
Missouri City, Texas
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Nince but needs cleaning”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

We take our toddler to the Houston Children's Museum all the time, and were very excited to see one near our hotel on the River walk. The museum has a lot of things for older (4-6,) kids to do, but i really didn't like anything for my toddler. The toddler section in the back of the museum didn't offer much either. But of course my toddler just enjoyed running around and seeing and touching everything. My biggest complain about the place was that it was not very CLEAN. The cardboard trash boxes on the basement level had no bags on them and were extremely dirty. Once we left the museum i wiped my kids hand and the wipe turned black from the dirt :( They need to keep the place a little cleaner especially since it’s a place for kids. I wouldn't take my kid there again or recd. this place.

2 Thank RMrani
Dallas, TX
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Great for smaller kids”
Reviewed December 31, 2012

We took a group of 10 to the San Antonio Childrens Museum this last weekend on a Friday. Admission was $6-8 and there are coupons on various websites that you can use. The museum is 3 stories with lots of hands on activites for the kids. The bottom level is the HEB pretend grocery store and snack area, our kids played for an hour in the store alone. They also enjoyed building their lego cars and racing them on the track. Our kiddos ranged in age from 5-12, and managed to stay occupied, but I would suggest this is more tailored for smaller kids. Expect to spend about 2 hours in the museum to get to do everything.

corpus christi,texas
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Don't go during the week”
Reviewed December 21, 2012

The museum has a lot of interesting and educational activities for children. All the children I saw enjoyed the airplane, and the vacuum tubes that carried plastic balls into a giant container. The vending machines had healthy snacks that were reasonably priced. The only reason I would not rate it excellent is the lack of staff and functioning exhibits. My six year-old nephew really wanted to ride the tractor, but it wasn't working. I press the assistance button provided, but no one ever came to help us. There were a few other exhibits that were out of service as well. I only saw two employees (a woman at the front desk, and a man running around cleaning everything. He was working hard to get things in order ,but he could have used some help!) I can only assume the museum has adequate staffing on the weekends. I will try to return on a weekend on my next trip to San Antonio