“san antonio zoo”

Ranked #25 of 267 things to do in San Antonio
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: With more than 8,500 animals on 56 acres, there's plenty of fun for the whole family. The San Antonio Zoo was first established with a donation from George W. Brackenridg in the 1800s. Two of the first cageless exhibits in the U.S. opened here in 1929 and the bird collection is one of the world's largest.
Reviewed October 9, 2013

the san antonio zoo provides a unique and friendly animal environment that is safe for families. The zoo personnel are quite courteous and the facilities house a wide variety of animals ranging from monkeys to lions. My family had a pleasant time visiting this zoo.

Reviewed October 8, 2013

Very fun place with lots of animal varieties including the world's 1st 2-headed tiny turtoise~Too hot!

Reviewed September 26, 2013 via mobile

While we were on our honeymoon my husband and I decided to do something different. This zoo was very nice and huge compared to the zoo where we live. We really enjoyed ourselves and didn't want to leave. Our favorite part was when the staff interacted with the hippos which was fun to watch.

Reviewed September 24, 2013

Positives first. A few people on here have mentioned that the entry price is quite expensive, but I thought it was reasonable at $12. Then again, I'm British so I have a slightly skewed idea of what expensive is - you'd pay twice that for a similar zoo in the UK!

The complex is quite large, with a lot of animals. There does seem to be a disproportionate number of bird exhibits, but whatever.Some of the animals looked a bit lonely (particularly the elephant), although they seemed well cared for. The lions are currently AWOL and a few of the others were definitely in hiding. A large area in the centre is being redeveloped for the zoo's centennial anniversary next year. I'm inclined to say that everything will be much better once that's done.

I did find this zoo very difficult to get around. There are maps positioned sporadically around the area, but I seemed to end up back tracking a lot to get to areas I hadn't seen yet. I also wandered into at least one staff area that wasn't marked as such. In addition to this, the food in the cafe wasn't great; it was quite costly, I had to wait about fifteen minutes for it to be prepared even though the cafe wasn't busy and it just wasn't all that nice.

Good points: reasonable price, big complex.

Bad points: difficult to find your way around, poor quality food.

Reviewed September 22, 2013

We were a group of four and enjoyed the visit to the zoo for the most part. The entrance fee seemed a bit high and only one person in our party could get a military discount. The zoo would not discount his mother or his girlfriend. The animals seemed to be in good health and the placards at each cage were informative. The zoo overall was clean and well kept; the food we purchased to eat was average and the areas we sat to eat were clean. We did find; however, that the women's bathrooms were less than acceptable. We visited three at various locations throughout the zoo. They all smelled really bad and had trash on the floors and in the stalls. The one at the entrance had no toilet paper in any of the many stalls. We visited three more women's bathrooms at various locations during our visit and, while they did have toilet paper, only one of them had no paper towels.

2  Thank Trish R

Been to San Antonio Zoo? Share your experiences!