“An Okay Zoo”

Ranked #25 of 266 things to do in San Antonio
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: With more than 8,500 animals on 56 acres, there's plenty of fun for the whole family. The San Antonio Zoo was first established with a donation from George W. Brackenridg in the 1800s. Two of the first cageless exhibits in the U.S. opened here in 1929 and the bird collection is one of the world's largest.
Reviewed March 15, 2013

The zoo was nice and clean but nothing too overly exotic. Lots of birds. I tend to get a little sad when I go to zoos which is why I only go about once every thirty years...hahaha. The animal's accommodations could have been better... larger... more suited to their natural environments. Alot of the animals looked very sad, lonely, and scared. But as far as zoos go it was okay... nothing spectacular.

There are newer reviews for San Antonio Zoo

Reviewed March 14, 2013

I didn't like this zoo. I know I live in an area with 2 zoos that are fantastic and have visited some pretty nice ones...but this one...just no. My kids didn't care for it, either. I know its spring break, but this this place was PACKED. Overly crowded. Surely they have a capacity..but apparently not. We didn't waste our money on the butterfly exhibit since the line was entirely too long. We barely got to see any animals up and about and the ones that were, there were so many people crowded around the exhibit, we couldn't really even see. The animals didn't seem happy, people were cranky from the crowds, and we didnt waste much time there. We were in and out in less than 3 hours, which is unheard of for us.

Reviewed March 13, 2013

On a day off from school, I took my family to the San Antonio Zoo. I have been to many big city zoos and I liked this one the best. It is very family friendly, it has alot of exhibits but is not so large that it takes all day to get through. Admission and food prices are reasonable. Parking is the only issue, if you get there after 10:00 on a busy day, you will struggle to find a spot. Overall, a great way to spend a day.

Reviewed March 13, 2013

I'm going to discount the fact that we were at the Zoo during Spring Break and the crowd was horrendous. Of course that made it very uncomfortable and frustrating. But the greatest complaint: One Elephant, one rhino, a gazillion birds, no giraffes, one lion, one bear, no apes or gorillas. A butterfly house that you had to pay extra to visit. This place is quite large but in my opinion it is sadly lacking in variety and quantity of animals. The petting zoo consisted of a handful of goats and 4 pigs. My grandchildren were pretty bored and they are right at the age that this should have been lots of fun. The day was beautiful...lots of sunshine and mild temps but most animals were evidently tucked away someplace where you couldn't even get a glimpse of them. A big disappointment.

Reviewed March 9, 2013

An enjoyable afternoon. It was a cool and comfortable day. There is a wide variety of animals and the staff we met there were friendly, knowledgeable and helpful. Many beautiful birds, and fish. Many reptiles and frogs if that is your thing.The butterfly building was closed, and I am sure that would have been fun. Would suggest seeing- the feeding of the condors and the elephants, It is more than just a feeding. The paths are easy walking, winding back and forth throughout the zoo, Part of the zoo is under construction, but not a problem. This zoo was well worth the admission cost. Along with the zoo, just up the road approx. 1/2 mile is a very neat place to see, the " Japanese Tea Gardens" there is no charge and it is very pretty and a good place to relax.

Been to San Antonio Zoo? Share your experiences!