“Visit to the Zoo”

Ranked #24 of 266 things to do in San Antonio
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: With more than 8,500 animals on 56 acres, there's plenty of fun for the whole family. The San Antonio Zoo was first established with a donation from George W. Brackenridg in the 1800s. Two of the first cageless exhibits in the U.S. opened here in 1929 and the bird collection is one of the world's largest.
San Antonio, Texas
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Visit to the Zoo”
Reviewed October 30, 2012

I'll begin first with my own experience and then address some concerns of other reviews. I really enjoyed all of the natural looking exhibits and all of the interactive parts of the zoo such as the butterfly house and lory landing, those birds had such personalities! Also the new tiger exhibit looks great! Definitely try to come early though, as many have stated it gets crowded pretty quick! Especially to see some of the more exciting exhibits I'd hit those first and then meander around to the others. I didn't see much trash though near the picnic area there was a trash can that was overflowing. Overall it was a pretty fun trip! Now to address concerns: Parking- As I stated before, get there early the parking lot isn't as large as it probably should be but given the fact that the zoo is located within a park I don't see them tearing up city owned land to increase it. However local parking lot rates seem pretty fair ranging from $5-$10 for the day from what I saw. Children- In regards to barriers that make it hard for children to see, isn't it better that you lift your child up then see them slip between bars and into the moat? On top of aesthetics I'm sure they built those barriers so no small children could somehow slip in. Imagine the reviews if they weren't there. Birds, Birds, Birds- As mentioned by another reviewer, the San Antonio Zoo has one of the largest bird collections in the nation, that's what it is known for. Given our hot climate, it's perfect for many exotic bird species and is something to be proud of. Though, I understand if you're a little underwhelmed looking at a extremely rare bird species that just sits on a perch staring back at you. Polar Bears etc.- Seriously. Polar Bears? In this heat? Of course the zoo is just going to have heat loving species such as African and South American species. I know the zoo had a polar bear years ago but from different accounts that bear looked absolutely miserable in our 90+ degree weather. Having any cold loving animal here would be just shy of torture I think and once again, imagine the reviews if your children had to see those miserable penguins/polar bears on a visit. Rude people- They're everywhere. I have no advice for your fellow visitors and on my visit didn't have a problem with the ticket holder. Then again I didn't have children with me just two (relatively mature) adults. But I hear a smile can go a long way? Ramps- I noticed there were plenty of signs warning of drop offs with steps etc. for strollers so I'm not quite sure what the confusion about this came from. Also from what I saw there were nearby ramps near almost all stairs and the ones that didn't have them, had previous warnings showing you to a different route. The only downside of this was in a particular exhibit (can't remember which) where you get to walk around, the ramp portion had you skipping an area. However all those species were represented throughout so it wasn't like you really missed anything. Just something to note. I hope this helps at least a little bit, just my opinion but I hope some of you are a little more prepared because of it. Have fun!

3 Thank alex s

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Anchorage, Alaska
58 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 100 helpful votes
“Great way to spend the day”
Reviewed October 28, 2012

We had a great time at this small but very well planned zoo. The animals were exceptionally frisky and happy and we got to see some great play-time, especially from the monkeys and tiger. Everyone seemed to really enjoy their pumpkin treats for Halloween. There's also a great collection of reptiles. The butterfly exhibit was unfortunately closed at this time but will definitely add to the overall experience when it reopens.

San Antonio, Texas
6 attraction reviews
“A Nice Morning Out”
Reviewed October 27, 2012

When my daughter was young we visited the San Antonio Zoo at least once a month. During the summer months it is a great place to take a morning walk and observe the animals. Our favorite was the Ocelot...not surprising since cat was my daughter's first word! I have visited the San Diego Zoo and London Zoo and of course our SA Zoo is not on the same scale as those, but every time you go back you will find something new and interesting that you did not see before and to top it off what's better than a picnic at Breckenridge Park (right next to the zoo) for lunch?

San Antonio, Texas, USA
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“I love our zoo!”
Reviewed October 26, 2012

The only reason I didn't put excellent is because I know someone from San Diego will read this and say "what??" For a small town zoo it is awesome and almost impossible to see it all in one day. I'm very proud of it and we go as often as we can!

Visited September 2012
Bushnell, Illinois
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“A Let Down”
Reviewed October 25, 2012

We are used to some of the best zoos in the US: Chicago Brookfield and Lincoln Park, St. Louis, Omaha. We were really let down by this zoo. Many of the cages were just empty; those cages that did contain animals contained only a limited number ( at Brookfield I have stood and watched 50 monkeys at a time; here there were two or three total). This was typical for most animals. If so many of the displays were empty or under construction, the admission price should have been discounted. It was only about $10 a person admission, but for what was available, this was too much. Again, I am used to some of the best zoos, and several of them are absolutely free!! It was easy to get to by taking the Sight Seer bus #7 from downtown ($1.15 per person, 25 cents for senior with the discount card).

Visited October 2012

Been to San Antonio Zoo? Share your experiences!