“Tuesday nights free + Tree House = Hit with family”
Review of Witte Museum

Ranked #44 of 265 things to do in San Antonio
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Witte Museum has the gorgeous Fiesta gowns, but also a special science treehouse just for kids.
Wichita, Kansas
111 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 133 helpful votes
“Tuesday nights free + Tree House = Hit with family”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Visited Tuesday night (free 3-8 p.m.) with sons 13 and 9 and we really enjoyed our stay. We arrived at 6:30 p.m. and got front row parking in the garage as many people were leaving (parking free). We paid the $5 each to do the dino exhibit and although my sons were probably on the older side, I think they still enjoyed making the dinosaurs move with the iPads. For the parents, it is hilarious to see a few of the toddlers terrified of the dinosaurs (and you are so happy your own kids are beyond that stage).
Our next stop was the Tree House and my boys LOVED this place. It was very hands on– shooting the tennis ball in the air, doing a news cast, playing the pipes, smelling the herbs, watching the ducks, pressing a penny, etc. We spent the rest of our time in here. Pay attention to the signs and make sure you climb up every stairwell and hit every floor. It would be easy to miss something.
Afterwards we walked the grounds and enjoyed seeing the river and the flowers (everything still dead where we live). I would definitely recommend this museum as a stop with kids.

1 Thank 8675309bergman

Colorado
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Texas History a little of this a little of that”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

The Witte (pronounced witty) has some interesting odds and ends. It is like a pawn shop of museums. It has a few cabins from early settlers of Texas along with small models and the why of each build. Witte has animals of past and present Texas. I had no idea that bears used to roam parts of Texas. The Witte has Native American history and artifacts, cowboy history and artifacts, some history/science on water and oil wells. You can learn about the early German settlements in Texas. You can also learn about mummies and some Egyptian culture and see artifacts from ancient Egypt.

Witte also seems extremely kid friendly. They have an entire section devoted to kids with various hands on experiences for children. The outside is beautiful and the San Antonio River runs along side the museum and is fun to observe. We saw a turtle swimming in the river. It was much cleaner in this portion than at the River Walk.

The San Antonio Zoo is also close to this area and so if you are staying near the Witte you can hit both sites in two days. For lunch we went down broadway to "Broadway 50/50" one of our favorite bar/restaurants. It has a 1950's feel and is a great place for a beer and a burger. This area of San Antonio has many worthwhile attractions. A tourist could spend a few weeks here experiencing new sites and restaurants.

42 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“New Southwest Wing Makes This Place That Much Better”
Reviewed March 12, 2013 via mobile

I love this museum. I bring a school group here from Dallas every year. They offer an Ancient Texans Technology workshop which is great to go along with Texas History. There is a rock climbing wall and a hands on science discovery building. There are several early log cabins and now they've added a whole new building on Texas History. I drove down especially to see it and it was worth the drive. I highly recommend a visit when you are in town. I have a special interest in Texas History, but if I had time I'd go back tomorrow to have more time. I didn't get to spend much time on the main building so I guess I'll be back again soon.

Texas
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 101 helpful votes
“Small museum in Brackeridge Park”
Reviewed March 3, 2013

The displays in the museum were interesting, but seemed small, except for the South Texas ranching display in a separate building. The German exhibit was very interesting, as was the early Texas displays. Seemed that a lot of the space was taken up with auditoriums and children's attractions. Lots of kids there for the dinosaur presentation.

San Atnonio, TX
“Checking it out”
Reviewed February 22, 2013

We've been membera since last fall but had never gotten the chance to go. The kids area is wonderful. I like the other exhibits and was most impressed with the history of Texas building.

Visited February 2013