“The Alamo”

Ranked #2 of 227 things to do in San Antonio
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Established in 1718 as Mission San Antonio de Valero, for over 300 years the former mission now known as the Alamo has been a crossroads of history. Having existed under six flags of independent nations and served as a garrison for five different armies, the Alamo has a rich history and a heritage to inspire Texans and people around the world. Although the Alamo is best known as the site of the 1836 Battle of the Alamo, all 300 years of Alamo history are vital to our story. Visitors can take a guided battlefield tour, rent a self-guided audio tour, walk through the historic Alamo Church and Long Barrack Museum, listen to a history talk given by an Alamo Interpreter, participate in living history demonstrations, watch a documentary on the history of the Alamo, and much more. Admission to the Alamo is free, but there is a charge for guided and audio tours.
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Smaller than I imagined but extremely informative. The Long Barracks and the Alamo contained Crocket rifles, the Travis Ring, the Houston Snuff Box given to him by the Santa Anna family and other historic items. A very worthwhile trip

Date of experience: July 2013
Write a ReviewReviews (16,914)
All reviews
in 418 reviews
"alamo"
in 10,003 reviews

Reviewed July 21, 2013

Everyone should visit the Alamo and learn the story of Texas Independence and hear the stories of the participants in this epic struggle for Texas and Liberty. The Long Barracks has been converted into a beautiful museum containing priceless relics of the battle. It gave me chills to read the stories and think about the price paid by our ancestors for the freedoms we take for granted every day. After visiting the Alamo, you'll look at Texas with great admiration.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

I think the service is great ,, well organize and great experience for my children and for all the family

Reviewed July 21, 2013

I was thrilled to see this piece of history because I've heard so much about it through my life time. I guess my expectations were set high. There is not much to see here. The Alamo is much smaller than I ever would have imagined. There are some interesting artifacts inside donated by the families of Crockett and Bowie. Those were fun to see. The grounds are beautiful and a nice place to sit and reflect. There was a gentleman talking inside to a group but we couldn't hear him for all the noise other people were making. Outside are earphone tours you can purchase but we didn't do that.

The admission is free but you can purchase the informative tours and a photographer takes your photo in front of the building. You get a card with your photo number on it and you can view it online and purchase it. Our number was incorrect but I sent a note to the website on the card and they told me how I could find it. I was able to find it.

This is a must see just because it's part of our history.