“Worth going!”

Ranked #2 of 266 things to do in San Antonio
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Established in 1718 as Mission San Antonio de Valero, for over 300 years the former mission now known as the Alamo has been a crossroads of history. Having existed under six flags of independent nations and served as a garrison for five different armies, the Alamo has a rich history and a heritage to inspire Texans and people around the world. Although the Alamo is best known as the site of the 1836 Battle of the Alamo, all 300 years of Alamo history are vital to our story. Visitors to the site can take a guided battlefield tour, rent a self-guided audio tour, walk through the historic Alamo Church and Long Barrack Museum, listen to a history talk given by an Alamo Interpreter, participate in living history demonstrations, watch a documentary on the history of the Alamo, and much more. Admission to the Alamo is free, but there is a charge for guided and audio tours. Tours may be booked online in advance through the Alamo's website or purchased on-site.
Marion, Indiana, United States
“Worth going!”
Reviewed May 14, 2013

Interesting information to read with all displays. We learned several facts and enjoyed the history. Close to river walk. We were not impressed with the Manger Hotel. Skip it.

• Arabic first
  • Turkish first
San Diego, California
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“It is worth walking by”
Reviewed May 14, 2013

Don't get me wrong - I thought it was really neat to visit the Alamo and I am glad I saw it. Nonetheless, I am glad that it was free.

Had I known now what I knew then, I would have walked by, taken some pictures, and then spent my time visiting another attraction. Inside it was more like a museum; yeah, there was some neat stuff, but I would have preferred seeing more of something else than spending the hour and a half we did walking around inside.

Defiantly worth walking by, though... and it is RIGHT next to the River walk.

Kansas City, Missouri
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“A must see”
Reviewed May 14, 2013

I was lucky enough to get to sit and hear the history with a 4th grade class on a field trip and I must say I was amazed at how much I did not know about the Alamo. Very pretty gardens as well.

Rockwall, Texas, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Makes you proud!”
Reviewed May 14, 2013

Every time we come to San Antonio we must see the Alamo. As a Texan, it always fills me with wonder and pride. The grounds are very well kept.

Dallas, Texas
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Historical and cool”
Reviewed May 13, 2013 via mobile

Its very cool to be standing in front of Alamo knowing how significant it was and what happened here in the 1800s. You have to at least see it from the square if you are here visiting.