“Great Ambiance and View”

Chart House Restaurant
Ranked #71 of 4,714 Restaurants in San Antonio
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Reviewed January 18, 2014

My wife and I went to San Antonio for a small break from everyday life in Houston, and its only about a 3 1/2 hour drive, an easy trip for an escape. I made reservations at the Chart House before we left, for the first night in San Antonio, since my wife hadn't ever been there. I did warn her before we went that the food would be okay, but it was the ambiance/view that made it worth while, and I wasn't to far off. We got there a bit early for our reservation and decided to have a glass of wine and an appetizer at the lounge, and they have a nice Happy Hour. The only problem I noticed was the type of music they were playing, which was some form of Euro music, certainly not romantic and not fitting for a special occasion restaurant in the USA, don't know what Landry's is thinking. We decided to be seated for our dinner reservation and had a great table, which it appears all are excellent. I wasn't impressed at all with the wine list, which was heavily weighed with CA wines, and we decided on one of the few none CA wines, an Argentine malbec, which was good. Time to order dinner and the menu seemed ordinary, not a lot of imagination. I ordered the free range chicken and my wife ordered the salmon. Our food came and my chicken was good and my wife asked me to try her salmon, and my impression, I couldn't eat it, it was so salty, and just what she thought too. We told our waitress, but found out it would take at least 12 minutes to make her a new one, so she decided to eat everything else but the salmon. The restaurant manager came over and we told him as well the salmon was extremely salty and my wife just couldn't eat it. He said he would have a talk with the chef. He came back and said he tasted the salmon and agreed it was to salty to eat and took it off our bill. He did offer us a free dessert, but we passed and called it a night. Fortunately we did have an appetizer at the lounge before dinner, so my poor wife didn't starve. So the moral of the story, the Chart House is a great place to go for a view of San Antonio, but our recommendation would be to go to the lounge and have a drink or two with some appetizers and skip having dinner, until Landry's changes the music and makes the restaurant menu worthwhile.

Reviewed January 17, 2014

We were early for our reservation, however, we were immediately seated. Service was good. Food was good. What was spectacular was the view and the rotation of the tower. Christmas lights were still up and made the city look dazzling.

Reviewed January 17, 2014

The restaurant is located atop the Tower of the Americas, bordering the River Walk and 750 feet above the city of San Antonio. The dinner was typical, upscale Chart House fare; a very consistent chain in my experience. The wine list is more comprehensive than many, well organized and with some interesting offerings. Ah, but the view is incredible, especially after dark. The panorama of San Antonio lies just beyond the tables, which are organized in a ring around the outer edge of the restaurant. Why? Because this ring rotates around the inner core of the facility, once every 80 minutes, which allows you to view the entire cityscape as you dine. And, since the service is nicely paced – no sense of rushing to move you along – you will definitely have a chance to complete at least one full rotation. If your travels take you to San Antonio, do NOT miss this one!

Reviewed January 16, 2014

This restaurant is at the top of the 750 foot tall Tower of the Americas which revolves about every 90 minutes. Drinks and your meals for two will creep into the three figure range but if that is not a deterrent, this is a very neat place to dine. Dress is casual, food is very good, and location, location, location.

Reviewed January 6, 2014

We ate at the Chart House restaurant at the top of the Tower of the Americas. It is a revolving restaurant that takes about an hour to make a full turn. The food was good. A little pricey but that is what I expected. I had a great salad and baked potato. My husband had a salad and asian green beans. Both were very good. It is such a lovely atmosphere up there.