“The View” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Chart House Restaurant

Chart House Restaurant
Ranked #66 of 4,589 Restaurants in San Antonio
Good for: Romantic, Scenic view, Special occasions, Families with children, Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Drinks, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Downtown
Decatur, Illinois
“The View”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2012

I have to say the view from the restaurant was AMAZING! I would recommend their Hot Lava cake. Yummy! Our reservations were at dusk and the city lights were so pretty.

San Antonio, Texas
“Go for Drinks and the View... Skip Dinner”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2012

We're locals and were on a Birthday Weekend in Downtown SA. We thought we'd be safe going to a tourist restaurant that was also a Chart House as we've had several great meals with wonderful service in other Chart House locations.

At the base of the Tower, the hostess could not operate the touch panel controlled reservation screen and after many, many minutes of trying, finally asked for help. That level of competence carried through the balance of the evening.

The view was great but the server was quite inexperienced though friendly. The salads were mediocre at best and my Medallions and Shrimp were cold and the shells were impossible to remove from the shrimp. I was forced to peel them by hand which would normally be embarrassing except the overall experience was par with an eat-with-your-hands type of restaurant.

At least it was expensive… LOL!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Pisa, Toscana, Italy
“Great dinner”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2012

My husband and I went to Chart House during Thanksgiving weekend. We went to the Chart House in Savannah, Georgia a few years ago and we have a great experience every time. The food was great, but our clam chowder came out lukewarm. They were very busy and the service was slow because of that.

Germantown, MD
“Great View, Great Dessert, Okay Meal - Free stop at Observation Level”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2012

I came here a year ago and had an excellent, memorable birthday dinner, and out of all the restaurants on the River Walk, I decided to come back to the Chart House for my birthday. I called and made reservations on a Sunday for 5 minutes later and was able to get in right away, whereas other people who just walked up were told it was a 45 minute wait. Last time, I had walked up and was told it was 45 minutes too. When I got to the restaurant, there were several empty tables around me that never got filled both times, so I wonder if they just like to give the illusion of being in-demand and special.

I got a table next to the window and got the enjoy a wonderful view of the city before the sunset. The view makes it worthwhile. The dinner rolls are also really good. I ordered the Lobster & Shrimp Spring roll appetizer which has cabbage, cucumber and fine cappellini noodles wrapped in a soft (not fried) rice paper wrapper ($13). It came with a citrus chili dipping sauce which was so-so. I ordered two glasses of white wine and the Macadamia Crusted Mahi ($32). It comes with green beans but no pasta or potato. Unfortunately, the fish was cold and a bit raw and even though I enjoy some sushi, it was just wrong for this type of dinner. The waiter never came back to check on how my dinner was or within waving over distance for the entire time I ate my entree, so I was unable to get the problem fixed so that definitely put a damper on the meal. I had ordered the Hot Chocolate Lava Cake dessert ($11) when I ordered my entree (30 minutes needed for preparation). That was very rich, good, and large enough for two. I had to get part of it to-go since I could not finish it. With tip, my dinner for one was around $100. For that kind of price, I do expect better service and a warm entree. Given the other reviewers complaining about cold food, it seems like a relatively common occurance.

The view of San Antonio is fantastic, so maybe if you made reservations and just came for appetizers and dessert, it would be better. Although you are paying for the view, I do wish the food and service was up to par with the prices, since this could be the best restaurant in San Antonio if it were.

Tip: Call for reservations well before sunset, so you have time to see the entire skyline plus go down to the Observation level. After dinner, on the elevator ride back down, you can stop for free and see the Tower of America's Observation floor with mural pictures listing what the various buildings are and historical pictures of Texas and the the army forts. Normally, you would have to pay $11 to go up to the Observation level.

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
“Horrible dining experience”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2012

Attending the restaurant was a huge let down. If you have high expectations for this restaurants they will e immediately shot down. We ordered the calamari and it was cold as was the marinara sauce it came with. We also ordered 2 cups of clam chowder and the waiter only brought one . When he finally returned 20 minutes later he told us he thought we were going to share! Who shares soup?!? Then the seasonal mahi Marsala I ordered came with only 2 tiny pieces of mushrooms. It was fresh but not worth the price tag at all. My friend ordered the blackened snapper and he had to pick out scales! The fish was not cleaned properly! Do not go to the chart house. Save your money and go shopping at the outlets!! It was not worth it!