“Please don't waste your money”

Chart House Restaurant
Ranked #68 of 4,669 Restaurants in San Antonio
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
San Antonio, TX
“Please don't waste your money”
Reviewed November 19, 2012

We decided we wanted to go back to the Tower to celebrate our 40th - since we had our wedding dinner there. I read all the terrible reviews, almost decided to go somewhere else, but in the end we stuck with our plans.

We did not run into many of the issues other reviewers mentioned. They had our reservations, we were seated about 5 minutes after we arrived in the restaurant, we were given a roomy both with a great view, our menu was annotated "Happy 40th Anniversary" with our names at the top, and our server was very attentive (almost trying too hard - but better than being ignored). Everyone we met was friendly and efficient.

But then you get to the food. I ordered the big steak, and my wife ordered a fish entree. This is a Landry's property and you pay Landry's prices so you expect the food to be like Landry's - but it's not. Both meals were so -so and both were stone cold - not even a hint of warm.

Tons of reviews have criticized the Chart House and as far as I can see management has never responded and they certainly haven't made any changes as far as the food goes.

If it wasn't for the tourists who don't know better, and sentimental people like me, they would go broke.

Pay to go up to the observation deck and enjoy the view - and eat somewhere else!

Fort Worth, Texas
“Disappointing evening for all 11 people, felt like a scam”
Reviewed November 14, 2012

Our group of 11 people arrived at the Chart House restaurant atop the Tower of the Americas 25 minutes before our reservation. They had no record of our reservation but were not busy. It was not a good experience. My husband’s food was cold, and after returning it received back a plate of tough, rubbery scallops (obviously microwaved to death). My food was also cold, but the steak portion of the plate (about ¼ of the food) was cooked medium rare as specified, so I did not dare to return it. I had ordered vegetables instead of potatoes; they gave me mashed potatoes, no veg, and the potatoes were cold and pasty. Everyone at the table had pretty much the same experience with their food; the person sitting to my left ate almost nothing because his seafood platter was cold, overcooked, and greasy. Another couple complained about the food and service to the manager; she just shrugged off their complaint and gave the excuse that the waiter was new. The cost was way out of line with the produce; we had been promised two free appetizers; four were ordered for 11 people and every one of the 6 tickets was charged for half an appetizer. We ordered a second glass of wine, specifying the “happy hour cabernet” a few minutes before the end of happy hour and the server did not say anything to the contrary--but when the bill arrived we were charged $12 each. Our total bill for a poor meal for the two of us, with poor service and indifferent wine, including the not-optional 20% tip, was $140. The next night we ate at Boudros on the Riverwalk, had superb food with excellent, friendly, fast and professional service for $72 total. Go figure. Or just to go Boudros or Acenar, in our opinion the two best restaurants on the Riverwalk. Being up in a tower is not worth getting scammed.

Corpus Christi, Texas
“Nice restaurant in great location”
Reviewed November 13, 2012

Me and my wife went to Chart House to celebrate her birthday. The restaurant is located at the top of the Tower of the America, the view is great since the restaurant revolves around to show the entire city. The food is really good and our server was very attentive and made sure we had everything we needed. The meal was great and was finished off with some lava cake, for a special occasion or romantic night out, I recommend Chart House.

• Visited November 2012
“Over priced for the quality of food served”
Reviewed November 10, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I met our friends for dinner at the Chart House, on 11/10/2012. Three of us ordered the stuffed flounder. Bad choice. Portion was small and not seasoned well. Meal also came with mash potatoes and asparagus. Mash potatoes were terrible. The third person ordered steak. It wasn't the best either. In total our bill was $200. The quality and portion of the meals were not worth $200. We will not be dining at Chart House again.

Texas
“Expected better service for the occasion”
Reviewed November 6, 2012 via mobile

My husband surprised me by making reservations for our first wedding anniversary. I thought great choice! We were seated and handed menus. My husband had to inform them he had reserved special menus. He had gone a few days earlier and requested personalized menus at an additional cost. You would think that because reservations were made and he made the arrangements ahead of time they would have handed us the correct menus. He was very disappointed that he had to point it out instead of it being a pleasant surprise. He also requested a cake, again for an additional fee. Instead of our waiter being informed about this he was offering us dessert off the menu. So again my husband had to inform him which was another ruined pre-planned surprise. the food was excellent and the view was beautiful. The prices were to be expected. But our overall experience was quite a disappointment. My husband put quite a bit of thought into what we should do for our celebration only to regret his choice. I'm sure he will be contacting management.