“Wonderful accomodation!!”

Ranked #7 of 9 Salem B&B and Inns
San Luis Obispo
“Wonderful accomodation!!”
Reviewed October 18, 2009

I would stay here again in a heart beat!!!! Patricia the innkeeper was so wonderful, allowing us to check in hours early so that we could sightsee without our baggage in tow. She was really helpful, but not intrusive, allowing us to settle in and go about our stay. Everything you could need is provided for you and our room was fabulous!!!! We were on the third floor in room 32, which had a dormer window overlooking Lafayette street and another window with a window seat. The decorations are busy but just what you want in an old Victorian house. I fell in love with the art nouveau wallpaper in the bathroom and took a photo of it because I loved it so much. The bed was the most comfortable one on our vacation. The only drawback is the 9 block (or so) walk into town, but that was okay and would not keep us from staying there again. We both wished we had stayed there another night and used it as our base to see other places.
Thank you Patricia for a great stay!!!!! Worth EVERY penny!!!!!!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Upstate NY
Reviewed October 17, 2009

This was an excellent B&B. We stayed there for a romantic and leisurely three-day weekend and visit to Salem, MA. The owner and hostess, Pat, was exceptional. She is knowledgeable about the area and advised us well, regarding local attractions. You can walk into the heart of Salem from this B&B, but the distance is a bit far in the rain or if you are not up to a brisk walk. If not then don't worry. It is about a two to three-minute drive into the downtown area, with parking available in lots and garages.

The rooms at this B&B are well-appointed and beautifully arranged in a lovely and very tasteful Victorial style (see pictures in this and other reviews). We were very comfortable. The entire place was spotless. The breakfast was placed outside the door at 8:30 am each morning and included: croissants, muffins, fruits, and orange juice. Butter and jam were also provided. There is a coffee maker and fridge in the room.

In short, we had a wonderful stay and Pat is an excellent hostess and owner. We would gladly stay there again. This is an excellent place for couples.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Clifton Park
Reviewed September 7, 2009

We had a lovely time at the Coach House Inn. Pat, the Innkeeper, was very friendly and informative about the area. Our room was very clean and comfortable. The breakfast basket was fresh and yummy. We walked to everything from the Inn. It did take about 15-20 minutes to get to the center of town, but definetly walkable if you are up for it. Also, the street has a sidewalk the entire way so you are not walking on the road.
I realized when we got home I left my glasses and glass case at the Inn. I called Pat who found them and is sending them in the mail back to me. I asked her if she would like me to send a check for the postage amount, but she said that was not necessary. I realize it's not that much money to send the glasses, but still she is using her own money and time to go to the post office. I won't forget that. I would definetly stay here again.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Michigan
Reviewed May 24, 2009

Just returned from a lovely trip to Salem, Massachusetts and am already looking forward to another visit. We stayed at The Coach House Inn Bed and Breakfast and found it to be charming. Our room was spacious, beautifully decorated in Victorian décor and very comfortable. We were happy to find that The Coach House Inn had ample off street parking, beautiful landscaping, and a delicious breakfast delivered right to your door so you can begin your day early. The price was a great value for all of the amenities. The owner, Pat, is very welcoming and knowledgeable about the North Shore. Her information concerning all of the things to do and see were invaluable. It took us about 10-15 minutes to walk to downtown Salem where we found wonderful restaurants and an authentic New England town. We will definitely return as there is so much to do and see. An added bonus and special treat for me was the beautiful Andrew Michaels full service spa directly across the street.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Toronto
Reviewed February 21, 2009

My wife and I visited Salem on a road trip through historical places in Massachusetts. The Coach House Inn was a terrific bed and breakfast to stay in while visiting Salem. Pat did a fantastic job at explaining what was in the area and how to get there.

Many people in their reviews state that it's not within walking distance. The walk itself is about 20mins, and is great for people who enjoy walking, are young, or who are trying to save money in gas expenses. The attractions in Salem itself are fairly close to each other, and the ones that are further can be accessed through the narrated trolley tours that are offered.

Each morning there is a basket of fruit, croissants, juice, etc., which is a nice touch and helps you start your day. Also, there is a mini-fridge (at least in our room), so if you happen to buy something like a sandwich it will keep in the small fridge. A small TV with cable was great for nights when back at the Inn. The inn itself is a beautiful Victorian mansion.

Some people find this location noisy at night, but that was not our experience. I would imagine that it would be louder the closer you are to the attractions - and more expensive.

D. Brennan
Toronto, Canada

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed October 26, 2008

My friend and I stayed at the Coach house inn last week. The house is beautiful and a little creepy which is okay considering the town your staying in. The inn Keeper Pat is very nice and helpful. And pretty insightful about the things to do and how to get around. We stayed on the first floor in a room with two twin beds and a shared bath. I dont sugest staying in this room. The shared bathroom is pretty far down the hall directly in front of the office so there is no privacy involved in that at all. Its also the smallest bathroom I have ever seen. The shower itself is very tiny. I wish I had a taken a picture. We acually did not use the shower the night we stayed there we decided to wait until we checked into our next hotel in Boston. I think the rooms on the bottom floor are the only ones that have to use that bath so I would for sure stay in a diffrent room next time I was visiting there. In the morning there is a basket waiting for you outside your door filled with fresh fruits, Pastries and juice. I think thats a really sweet touch. Besides the issue with the bathroom The coach house inn is a really charming place to stay. Also alot of reviews people have written say that it is walking distance from all the attractions. Its not.. We wanted to walk everywhere but ended up driving into town. Its safer and much more comfortable if your going to be staying there at a time when its cold outside. But the drive is easy and parking isnt an issue at all.

• Liked — The basket breakfast waiting for us whe we woke up in the morning.
  • Disliked — The shower was way to tiny for any human.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank kittenclaws82
Mesa, AZ
Reviewed October 12, 2008

We stayed at the Coach House Inn for 3 nights this October. The innkeeper, Pat, was very accomodating and helpful in finding things to see and places to go. Though showing some signs of wear, the inn was clean and had a lot of history built into it, which was nice. However, the inn was situated on a very busy street and it was difficult to sleep past 5:30 in the morning. If you are a light sleeper, I would recommend staying elsewhere. The location of the inn was nice- just a few minutes drive from everything in Salem. But parking is hard to come by in Salem, and walking from this inn is a bit of a stretch if you plan to see a lot of attractions.
Overall, I felt that the price we payed for our stay was a bit steep for what we got. We chose the inn based on the historic feeling of it, but I don't think that I would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Salem
Salem Waterfront Hotel & Suites
#6 of 9 in Salem
Stepping Stone Inn
Stepping Stone Inn
#4 of 9 in Salem

Been to Coach House Inn? Share your experiences!