“Beautiful room just outside the hustle and bustle of town.”
Review of Coach House Inn

Coach House Inn
Ranked #7 of 9 Salem B&B and Inns
Westbrook, Maine
“Beautiful room just outside the hustle and bustle of town.”
Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

Last minute decision to go to Salem for the weekend. After touring the town I needed a place to stay.Coach House was my first call and my only call. The room was on the third floor, smaller but perfect for just me. The Inn keeper was very knowledgable of the area and had some wonderful recommendations for restaurants and things to do.

Breakfast was brought to my door in a picnic style, with fruits, muffin, croissant, and even a hard boiled egg. Coffee was available in the room already.

It was a wonderful experience! Will definitely be staying here again.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank MaCoffie77

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Poughkeepsie, New York
Reviewed May 20, 2013 via mobile

Loved the Victorian style of the house. We stayed in the first floor 2 room suite. The front room (which had tons of space) had 2 twin beds with an attached full bath. The second room (also attached) had a queen (I believe) sized bed. We never heard any other guests. We did explore the house a bit and came to realize it has 3 floors of rooms! (you wouldn't think that looking at it) everything was true to the time period along with the interesting wallpapers and floral bedspreads. Shower had awesome water pressure and water temperature was great. Breakfast was brought to our rooms in a basket (had warm muffins and croissants, juice and fruit). We had our own coffee pot and the hostess was kind enough to bring us extra coffee since my family and I are caffeine addicts. The hostess also told us about what places to check out in town and where the best parking was since its located on the outskirts but only took 5 minutes (if even) to get into town. Highly recommend staying here!!!! The only downfall I could see is the parking since its shared but they do allow street parking, but there is barely any traffic on the road.

• Stayed May 2013
4 Thank AmPo0610
Chicago, Illinois, United States
Reviewed April 9, 2013

This was my first stay at a B&B, and it has inspired me to seek B&Bs whenever possible in my travels. The Coach House in is BEAUTIFUL, clean and well run. The innkeeper was very warm and was knowledgeable about Salem and Boston, and gave us lots of ideas for restaurants and entertainment.

The breakfast was waiting for us outside of our door each morning when we woke up and was quite satisfactory. I prefer to eat a quick breakfast, and this worked out perfectly for me. I don't remember the room number I stayed in, but it was on the third floor with 2 twin sized beds and a private bath. I slept without any problems from the mattress or street noise. The bathroom was very small but had good water pressure and was enough for us.

*I traveled in September of 2011 but the drop-down menu doesn't go back that far*

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Tina A
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed November 13, 2012

The house was nice and our room was ok with the exception of the mattress which was very uncomfortable. The inn is on a very busy street. The weather was warm the first night we stayed there so we had to keep the windows open. The street noise kept me awake. They don't serve a full breakfast, which we knew about so we can't complain. It was a basket that they bring to your room filled with fruit, croissants and muffins. I asked the innkeeper if she could leave out the croissants and muffins and she was nice enough to offer hard boiled eggs instead. They were cooked to perfection, so that was very much appreciated. She was very helpful in giving us suggestions on where to go and places to see.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank janedoe32
West Palm Beach, Florida
Reviewed November 8, 2012

The Coach House Inn is a lovely house built in 1879. Its location a mile from downtown Salem afforded a quiet stay in a residential neighborhood during the height of Halloween festivities. The hostess, Pat, was charming, knowledgeable, and quite helpful with tips about what to do in Salem and transport modes to Boston for sightseeing. Thanks to the top-notch cleaning staff, the room, bathroom, and hallways were always spotless. The room had ample closet and storage space, and the bathroom had adequate horizontal surfaces on which to place one’s toiletries.

I must admit that I was surprised that the Coach House Inn has no central gathering place where guests could easily interact with one another. Each original common space has been transformed into two or three extra rooms, for a total of 11. From the perspective of a single traveler, I would have welcomed a daily gathering of guests to share stories of discoveries and peruse the carb-loaded continental breakfast basket, along with a few hard-boiled eggs. Unfortunately, the current arrangement doesn’t allow for that.

The breakfast basket contained various fresh fruit (pears, apples, cut melon and blueberries, strawberries rotated daily) a croissant, a muffin, a danish (all fresh and delicious), and a plastic container of orange juice with a foil top. It was plenty enough to power one's travels until mid-afternoon, although a bit of protein would have been a nice touch.

Thanks to Pat's advice, I was sometimes able to take an MBTA city bus (Route 455) from a stop right in front of the Coach House into either downtown Salem or to the Salem Commuter Rail Depot for a half-hour ride into Boston for sightseeing. Likewise, Pat provided that Bus Route 459 stops at Terminal C at Boston Logan Airport and makes the same stop in front of the house.

If you have an iTouch or an iPhone, an app called Smart Ride will allow you to get an accurate estimate of when the next bus will arrive at any stop along any route, including the one right in front of the house when using the Coach House's Wi-Fi network. A tour guide showed me another app called Embark Boston, which does the same thing for commuter rail trains. These apps came in handy, as the MBTA transportation schedules aren't as much schedules as they are "suggestions."

If you plan to stay awhile, pick up a seven-day bus and subway pass loaded onto a Charlie Card -- a touch onto the electronic readers in buses and subway stations will save a lot of digging around for one-dollar bills. Zone 3 commuter rail tickets into Boston cost $6.75 each way and are well worth it, as the commuter rail will get you to North Station in Boston in under 30 minutes. MBTA tickets and cards are available at the Red Lion Smoke Shop on Washington St. in downtown Salem.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Los Angeles
Reviewed November 8, 2012

This place is great. It's like out of an old movie - a Victorian kind of Inn with creaky, elegant stairs. We made a last minute reservation on a Saturday night in October during the Season of the Witch, and felt lucky and grateful to have gotten a room here. The proprietress was terrific, friendly, knowledgeable. Gave us good reviews of where to go and what to do. The best part was waking up early and smelling breakfast baking, the smell of croissants wafting up through the mansion was so soothing. What a cool place. We stayed in the room at the top that had a sink inside but bathroom outside. It was totally fine to have that set up. The room was really nice and big room.

Room Tip: They all seem lovely!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Southern New Jersey
Reviewed November 8, 2012

Myself and three friends stayed at the Coach House Inn in Salem the second week of October 2012. This bed and breakfast is located outside of the downtown, but easy to get there by car and park at inexpensive parking lot or take a cab for $6 each way. The inn is decorated in true Victorian style and was very comfortable. We can't say enough about our innkeeper, Pat. She was so helpful with answering our questions and giving us suggestions for everything from parking to eating to sightseeing. Though not a true bed and breakfast in the sense that you received a cooked meal, we were welcomed each morning with a basket outside our door with various fruits, pastries and muffins as well as juice. Our room had a coffeemaker. I would most definitely stay there again! Thanks Pat!!!

Room Tip: We thought we'd have problems being on the first floor, but none at all. I think any room there...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Janet F F
Also consider these accommodations in or near Salem
Salem Waterfront Hotel & Suites
#1 of 2 in Winthrop
Stepping Stone Inn
Stepping Stone Inn
#4 of 9 in Salem

Been to Coach House Inn? Share your experiences!