“A wonderful anniversary experience!!!”
Review of The Salem Inn

The Salem Inn
Ranked #6 of 9 Salem B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 17, 2006

I can't believe the negative reviews given to this wonderful inn! Our experience, from the first phone call to book our stay, to the moment we left the Inn, was nothing short of fabulous. Jean at the front desk was warm and welcoming, providing us with good information about the area (as we had never visited Salem before) and coming to our rescue when we had a problem with the thermostat.

We were celebrating our anniversary and I wouldn't trade a moment of our stay. We found the beds extremely comfortable, the bathrooms VERY clean (and I am particular about cleanliness, especially bathrooms) and breakfast in the lower part of the building was wonderful. I guess I didn't notice the "yard sale" furnishings the previous folks did.

All in all, everything was great, and the staff was NEVER rude to us. We will most definitely stay at the Inn again if ever we visit Salem.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Julie-JeffD

Reviewed September 12, 2006

We visited Salem Inn (the West house) for two nights in early August 2006. I visited with my family 2 adults and 2 teenagers and had a family room on the ground floor . The room consisted of two rooms with double beds, a small kitchen (with fridge, cooker, microwave and coffee maker) and a bathroom.

My daughter thought it was great when the night manager allowed her view 'the haunted room' on the first floor.. he even suggested she sleep in there as the room was empty.. an offer she politely refused!
Yes the Inn is furnished with "old" furniture some antique, and some not so antique, if you want new corporate type furniture I suggest you try a chain like Holiday Inn. The parking is either on street or behind the Peabody house, we did'nt find this a problem.

The breakfast was fine and being served in a "basement' is not a problem, this type of location is popular in some of the best hotels in europe and us europeans don't moan about it.

The staff were all very friendly and offered some good advice on where to eat, try Boston hot dog co. for a snack and Victoria station for dinner. I agree the "attractions" in Salem are very cheesey and old fashioned...pirates of the carribean they are not.

I was pleased to see that the Salem Inn has free wifi which only worked near reception..again not a problem for me.

At the rear and side of the West house is a courtyard. However, this has been neglected and was overgrown and untidy, the management should clean this area and get it back into use as I think it lets down the general experience.

We live in a house in Wales built in 1793 and understand the problems of old properties. It is a shame that some of the previous reviewers fail to understand what staying in a two hundred year old house is all about.
In summery;
Good ponts;Clean, good location, nice staff, individual & quirkey.
Bad; Noisey ice machine outside our door, scruffey rear of property.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family
2  Thank Mudgedog
Reviewed September 5, 2006

Where do I even begin on this place and the town of Salem overall? The Salem Inn consists of three houses, we were in the main house, the West House. We were on the third floor which meant we had to climb a few flight of rickety old stairs with all of our luggage. Once we arrived in our "honeymoon suite" we were disappointed. It was very old and the furniture looked as if it were puchased at yard sales for pennies. The bed was awful and made a lot of noise simply because of the old bedframe. The carpet was icky, there was no proper closet and the floor slanted. The bathroom was the most up-to-date remodel I would say. There was a jaczzi tub that was the nicest thing in the room. We spent as little as time as possible in that room. Breakfast in the basement wasn't that great either. Although the lady who tends to breakfast seemed nice. But yes, breakfast is in the basement and again the furniture was drab and yard sale like.
Parking was usuall street parking if we were lucky enough to find a spot right in front. If not, then we had to park behind the Curwen house which is a few blocks away.
Salem itself was a letdown to us and we will not be back. You can experience most of the town in one day. We didn't realize how spread out things were and had to use our vehicle more than we thought. The trolley is great and I highly recommend that. We used it a day it was a big help. We also took the train into Boston a day so I recommend other things to do other than just in Salem. Do be sure to go to Boston Hot Dog Company in Salem, we had some of the best unique hot dogs there.
Overall, it was an experience to say that we were there but we will not be back and we certainly won't be back to the Salem Inn. We saw some other cute B&B's that I would look into first. You will be disappointed in this place.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Trvlgrl06
Reviewed September 1, 2006

Salem Inn consists of a number or seperate houses which are not interconnected and which only offer breakfast in the cellar of the main original hotel.

Once you have found the Inn and somewher to park, you get directed to the house you are in. In most instances although you can walk within a few seconds, the one way streets means you have a good 2-3 minute drive to be able to park behind your room.

Being elivated from the street level, where every you stay you will have to carry luggage up at least 1 if not 2 flights of stairs.

Our room or suite was very spacious and although the decor was old, it was not unreasonable considering the age of the property plus it was very clean. Unfortunately the door handle to one interconnecting room was not fixed on correctly, so the door could not be closed.

The rooms had a small kitchenette with microwave, cooker, fridge/freezer and good supply of coffee. The bathroom also was well stocked and clean. If anything let down the room, it was a lack of seating in the day / TV room ( this also had our extra bed, but this was not a sofa bed).

As breakfast meant a walk, we settled for coffee in the room left early and planned a visit to a Diner whilst travelling.

The front door to Peabody house desperatly needs a new door lock as we could not open this at first and had to go back to the main building where we were given a different key and informed that we had to "Jiggle it a bit".

Although not great ( but also not bad), in our opinion, the inn was better than Salem itself.

Considering the history and hype surrounding the town, we felt it as cheesy and overrated. The town needs to get its act together... Ok competition is good, but 4 witch museums !!!!! plus a number of other businesses offering "witch experiences" !!!!.. At $8,00 a person, the two we visited plus one that accosted us in the street, are expensive considering that most of the presentation is a talk with some very poor wax models depicting " important events". Come on guys get your act together, that type of cheezy presentation went out 20 years ago and I am sorry Witch Dungeon, but who ever told you some one dressing up and sitting in the dark so they could push out a hand to "scare" added to the experience is obviously living in a time warp.

The town itself is totally geared up to rip off the tourist. You are encouraged to follow the red line ( a la Boston - Freedom trail), but this actually just leads you to the individual private museums ( Museum ??? - another joke and misrepresentation), with the exception of the house near the Salem inn which is a museum, but again at $8,00 entry for a 6 roomed hose is badly over priced.

One noteable exception to the town is the restaurant Finz at the harbour. This is highly recommended and offers a great dining experience with very good service at reasonable prices.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family
2  Thank DriftwoodNL
Reviewed August 31, 2006

We called over the phone and booked a room with the Inn directly 3 months in advance. Mainly because we saw the room pictures online and wanted a certain room. We were assured of our chosen room and booked a package of 2 nights for approx $233.00 per night. What a ripoff this turned out to be. When we got to our room the supposed "honeymoon suite" it was not the room we booked.

Also like others have put in their reviews the pictures on their website make the Inn look much nicer than it actually is. They should have spent some of the money they used for the fancy website to redo their rooms. The room was plain and the carpet was dirty, the bathroom was in serious need of rennovation. Dingy is the best word I can use to describe it. I've stayed in many B&B's and Inns around the country and for $233 per night you get better toiletries than soap and shampoo in a dispenser on the wall. That was it, no conditioner nothing.

The biggest problem we had was LACK OF HEAT. It was pouring rain outside and freezing cold in our room. Apparently it storms in New England at the end of August but the heat was turned off for the summer. This is a direct quote from the front desk clerk. THE HEAT IS TURNED OFF DURING SUMMER. So tough luck to us. No extra blanket in the closet either. I find this hilarious now after reading a prior review of a guest complaing about no heat and Management of the Salem Inn giving a response saying the heat is never turned off. That is not true, we went to the front desk and complained of our heat not working and we were told it was turned off and they had no logs for the fireplace.I wish I would have read the reviews before booking this hotel.

The only pros about the Salem Inn are the location and the breakfast was very good. The lady serving the breakfast was the only polite and friendly person at the Inn. Go elsewhere.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled on business
3  Thank NapaValleyGirl
Reviewed July 30, 2006

I was pleasantly surprised by my stay in the Salem Inn ... it was better than I could have hoped for. I had invited a few of my cousins from out-of-town for a "cousins reunion" and they wanted to spend a few days in historic Salem . We all stayed at the Salem Inn, even though I live in Massachusetts, so we could all enjoy full days of activities. Yes .. we brought cars and parking and navigating the streets of Salem was not always easy. But when you take a vacation in an old New England town, you must be prepared to face life as it was historically hundreds of years ago ... small street, houses right up against sidewalks, the sounds of bustling life just outside your door. The staff at the Inn was attentive and acomodating, offering us suggestions for sightseeing activities and restaurants to try for typical New England (and well-prepared) dishes. My family loved the Inn, loved the quaint and charming furnishings .. each room seemed to have a different look to the decorations. We thought it was a wonderful place to plan for future "reunion." I think it was helpful that we let the Inn know ahead of time what kind of help we might need and what suggestions that they might be able to offer. They were prepared for us in everyway!. Thanks Salem Inn for helping to make some unforgettable memories for a few aging cousins .

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
2  Thank mizmarcia
Reviewed July 27, 2006

Decided to stay here based on recommendation in Frommers. This Inn has several buildings so I can't comment on all of them, just the one room we stayed in - #11 in the main brick building on the street. Inn is old and we were looking for old, historic charm. We were told #11 was a great room and we would enjoy it. WRONG! 1) Door does not fit doorway well at top and lets light in all night. 2) Room is large 3) Very poorly decorated. Pieces are yard sale cast offs not antiques. One entire wall has nothing but a very small, cheap dried flower arrangement on it. No cohesive decorative theme - overall feeling of serious budget problems. Bed spread was flimsy, cheap and ugly as sin. 4) The absolute worst bed I have every slept in. I suspect it is as old as the hotel 5) Window unit a/c does not cool the room evenly. 6) Bathroom is very small and shower had a curtain on both sides of the tub since the outside wall of the show has big window!
The pillowcases don't even fit the entire pillow. We asked the front desk for additional cases to put on the pillow from the opposite directions just to cover the full pillow. We asked for 2 more pillows and were told there weren't any! I have never had a hotel tell me they could find an extra pillow until Salem Inn. In the morning the sink contained a 2 inch long bug that had nearly 2 dozen legs on it. Ugh! Breakfast is included but it is located next door in a basement and you have to walk outside to get to it. That might be a problem in winter. Food was okay but I generally like to start my day in something more cheery than a dark, damp basement. Tables were not cleared. Other buildings might be nicer. A total rip off in my view.

Stayed: June 2006
4  Thank Redbud
Also consider these accommodations in or near Salem
Hawthorne Hotel
Boston Marriott Peabody
SpringHill Suites Boston Peabody
5 mi away
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Boston-Peabody

Been to The Salem Inn? Share your experiences!