“Haunted for sure, but incredible none the less.”
Review of The Salem Inn

The Salem Inn
Ranked #6 of 9 Salem B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 17, 2009

My mom and I were on our way to visit Norwich University in Northfield, VT, and wanted to do some sightseeing before the day arrived. My mom and dad used to live in Melrose, MA, so she knew her way around. We were visiting the House of Seven Gables and my mom asked the curator if he knew of any hotels in the area that would be nice to stay in. He suggested the Salem Inn, because of its history and supposed hauntings. Well, being who I am, I shrugged off the idea because I didn't believe in ghosts or the supernatural at that time. When we arrived at the inn, the innkeeper was very gracious and appreciative of our staying that night. The front "foyer" had a computer, a bird cage with some furniture around it, and some creaky stairs leading to the other floors. I forgot what room we were in, but it was on the very top floor. When we arrived in the room and opened the door, it looked very much like a bedroom. There was a queen sized bed, a lamp, a closet, and a window. Thinking that this was the entire room, my mom tried another door and found that it opened into an entire other area! This area featured a little kitchenette, a TV, a pull out couch, and a locked door that seemed to have stairs on the other side. We were hungry, so we decided to eat at one of the recommended restaraunts next to the ocean. It was delicious, but it was getting late, and we needed our rest. When we got back to the inn, I checked my e-mail and finally came back to the room. My mom was on the pull out bed and was watching tv, so I sat down to watch as well. A few minutes later, I thought I saw something come through the doorway, and all of a sudden I felt a cold breeze, and my body froze. My heart rate was skyrocketing, and I was actually a little scared. I've now learned that this is called a cold spot and is a sign of when a ghost is near you. Anyways, I went to bed. My mom turned off the television and all of a sudden started to hear a banging noise coming from the other side of the locked door. This continued to happen ALL night. She came into my room during the middle of the night and asked me if I heard anything, but then she told me that it had stopped when I woke up. Right when she went back to her bed, it started again and didn't stop. The next morning, we went to breakfast in the quaint little breakfast room in the basement of the main house. My mom still said she could hear the banging. What's even scarier is that she told me that she had had a dream that night that someone had their hand over her mouth and she could breath, and when she woke up she was grasping for air and her covers were 20 feet away in the corner of the room. Scary. Overall, the Salem Inn is a wonderful hotel to go to, especially if you want a little supernatural adventure.

Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank winga34

Reviewed October 24, 2009

My family and I stayed in the Peabody House the honeymoon suite during Halloween Happenings . It was a great experience. We read some other review that stated unfriendly staff, dirty carpet, etc. DO NOT BELIEVE THEM! Some people will say/write anything to get a discount,freebie, or just because they are overall grumpy people.
The room was huge by any standard but unheard of for a B & B! We had our 5yr old son with us and had plenty of room. The hot tub in the bathroom was great, the kitchen was fully stocked and just the right size, and the breakfast was very tasty with a very hard working woman taking care of it by herself ( make sure to tip her!!).
The location was perfect to see all the sights. We easily walked to everything quickly even with a small child. The street is quite busy but it does quiet down in the evenings so don't let that worry you. You can easily walk to restaurants and a convenience store just around the corner (it seems to be a very safe area even after dark).
Book early and don't be disappointed. We will be back. Aloha.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank kameha
Salem_Inn, Owner at The Salem Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2009

We wish to thank our recent guests from Hawaiii for their kind review. We are delighted that they enjoyed their stay. Most of our guests express this type of appreciation and enjoyment after their stay at our Inn. However, it is unfortunate that the majority of guests who write are those who had some issue with the Inn that didn't suit tjhem. Somethimes they are surprised to discover Salem is a busy little historic city, not a quiet country village. If they are expecting new, cookie-cutter furniture and furnishings, they are often dismayed by a variety of eclectic antique and vintage furniture.

Reviewed October 23, 2009

The only thing I liked was the location.

Dislikes:
Loud music/orgy in next room until 3 am
Old bedding in Peabody House
Froze all night cause no wood for fire/heat didn't work
Told girl at front desk of trouble, all she said was "Oh."
Breakfast was cold and continental
Wrote letter explaining trouble...no letter back

• Stayed: September 2009
1  Thank stacysmoon

It is very unfortunate that the reviewer did not contact the front desk when she was disturbed by loud, inconsiderate guests in a neighboring guest room at the Peabody House. This is very unusual behavior and certainly is not tolerated by management. We always have a staff member in attendance 24 hours a day, 7 days a week in order to make sure any and all problems are resolved as quickly as possible to the satisfaction of our guests.

Although I do not know what the problem with the heat was, I suspect that the central heat was not set to a temperature that the guest found comfortable. There were no other complaints that evening by other guests in that building, and the weather is mild here in September. Had the staff been aware of this problem, a small portable heater would have been provided. It is a policy of the Inn that our working fireplaces are not made operational until November, and this is clearly stated on all our literature.

Our brochure and website also state that we provide a complimentary, quite extensive, breakfast buffet. Although we do not have a restaurant which allows for cooking, we do provide the guests with a toaster and a microwave oven if they wish to heat up our delicious spinach/broccoli quiche or toast one of our many varieties of bagel or bread.

Upon check-out, the guest mentioned the loud party next door to the front desk. Unfortunately, it was too late to remedy the situation.

Reviewed October 22, 2009

My wife and I spent a long weekend in Salem just a few weeks before Halloween. As you can imagine, the entire city was in Halloween mode and it was truly terrific. While the Salemn Inn was OK and met our needs, it was not what we had hoped for. The place needs a real makeover; especially the guest rooms. There is minimal furniture and is completely outdated. While the bed itself was comfortable, the blankets' were not and neither were the pillows.

All in all I would recommend the Salem Inn to friends but I would definitely let them know that it's average at best.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 21, 2009

To enter the Salem Inn is to walk back in time. The friendly greeting from the person working the desk started the visit off right. If you have ever gone by a house and wanted to see more of it, this Inn will delight you. I spent college summers as a tour guide in historic homes in the Midwest, so I appreciate the details in this restoration. I also liked the comforts, like a modern shower and more cable channels than a chain hotel. Yes, my husband and I will go back.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank anationaltreasure
Reviewed October 12, 2009

I stayed in the Peabody House portion of The Salem Inn for 2 nights. I agree with other reviewers who found fault with shabby furnishings. The sheets were old and coarse, two (not four) pillows on the queen bed were old and flat, the blanket was cheap, and the spread, table skirt, dustruffle and curtains were of cheap quality and old. I find no fault with the small bathroom added many years after the building was built, nor with the sink in the room, not in the bathroom. The antique Victorian (but not period) furniture is perfectly acceptable. All of these things are standard in country inns. But it is a shame not to upgrade the linens, curtains, and dreadful upholstery in such historic buildings. The inn is not maintained as well as any other inn in which I have stayed.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled solo
Salem_Inn, Owner at The Salem Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2009

I was very surprised to read Ohio Lady28’s opinion regarding the linens, curtains and upholstery in their room at the Peabody House of the Inn. None of the linens are old or cheap, and are all new in the past year . The floor-length curtains are a very soft, pale delicate silk fabric; the comforter and matching sham set is a very fine, high thread count 100% quilted cotton; and the queen blanket is a soft, , luxurious Velux.

The comfortable loveseat is in very good condition, and covered in an attractive floral print.

Perhaps the reviewer prefers linens and furnishings in dark brocades or heavy velvets, and, if so, may not appreciate the simple, sophisticated style of the Inn’s furnishings.

Reviewed October 8, 2009

We stayed at the Salem Inn for a quick getaway before our second child was born. We got the honeymoon suite (which was only one room) for a very good price. The lobby of the hotel was nice. The room was cozy, with a fireplace and a two-person jacuzzi tub. The room wasn't enormous, for a honeymoon suite, but it was fine for the two of us.
I enjoyed the continental breakfast (which also saved us money).

I don't really recommend visiting Salem in Feburary, but at 8 months pregnant, I wasn't up for much walking, so it was fine.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Salem
Hawthorne Hotel
Hawthorne Hotel
#1 of 3 in Salem
Salem Waterfront Hotel & Suites
Boston Marriott Peabody
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Boston-Peabody
SpringHill Suites Boston Peabody
Hampton Inn Boston/Peabody

Been to The Salem Inn? Share your experiences!