“To Salem and Back”

and up
Salem High-Speed Ferry
Ranked #4 of 84 things to do in Salem
Reviewed November 4, 2013

We travelled to Salem on Halloween. I knew it would be interesting when a group of witches boarded and the crew got into the spirit with spooky make-up and music. The crew were very pleasant and I noticed were great with the children on board. I loved every minute but I would recommend checking the ferry times before setting off.

All reviews
in 5 reviews
"marblehead"
in 13 reviews

Reviewed October 23, 2013

We opted to take the ferry for quick day trip to Salem from Boston. Even though it was a rainy summer day, the boat ride was lovely as you also get to see Marblehead. The return trip was very rough simply because there were high swells but the crew was incredibly helpful and even gave us ginger candies to ward off any seasickness....no one got sick by the way. An affordable way to get around, have a cocktail on board at the same time, and take in some nice views on the way out of and into each city.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

The Salem Ferry is a great way to get to Boston without the traffic and parking problems. In 45 min. it will take you on a scenic ride from Derby St., in Salem, to Long Wharf in Boston, near the Aquarium. The ferry has both inside and outside seating, a liquor license, and light snacks on board. I've taken visitors, my elder mother and husband. All agree that it was a wonderful experience. Get out on the water!!!

1  Thank Sandal1
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Even though we had a crazy ride there (very choppy) the guide provided us with ginger drops and bags. He was very informative and had great stories. I had a great time! Sad part was that we couldn't come back on the ferry because of the choppy water and weather. They made everything right for us and I would say take the ferry, you'll have a great time.

See more reviews
Reviewed September 22, 2013

We truly enjoyed our ferry ride to Salem and being able to get out of the city and have a relaxing day in the small town of Salem. We were warned the sea was rough on the way up but it really wasn't bad. We sat in the middle of the lower part of the ferry and had a great panoramic view of the shoreline and fabulous properties as well as the sea and islands. Our best surprise was that once we arrived, we asked about renting bikes and learned that the ferry office in Salem has a limited number of FREE bikes available! My sister and I had a ball just biking all over town and thus were able to see and do far more than we expected without hurting our feet or being held captive by the trolley. If they are available, I would highly recommend using them! We took the 9:30 ferry out of Boston and returned on the 4 pm ferry-- that was just the right amount of time.

Been to Salem Ferry? Share your experiences!