“Great food and service! Must do if you're in Salem!”
Review of The Old Spot - CLOSED

The Old Spot
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Seattle, Washington
“Great food and service! Must do if you're in Salem!”
Reviewed June 18, 2013

The Fish and Chips were amazing and a very large portion, my sweetie had the Reuben and I had to steal a few bites as it was the best I'd ever had! The Service was great, and knowledgeable about local attractions as well as friendly. We felt welcome and comfortable in the quaint comfortable seating. The drinks were inventive and delicious. I can't recommend this place enough, a MUST DO if you're in Salem, Mass! We will make it a point to stop back in there on our next road trip, it is now OUR "Old Spot"!

• Visited June 2013

Poughkeepsie, New York
“Fish and Chips a must have.”
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Fish and Chips and Spaghetti and Meatballs are my tried and true tests for any place that I'm trying out. If they mess up something like this ..... Well come on .... I had the Fish and Chips here and we are talking excellent, bring your appetite. Oh and yes they are right across from my favorite Salem Hotel, the Hawthorne.

Visited June 2013
London
“Nothing like a pub,poor service and food options”
Reviewed June 2, 2013

This venue is over hyped, it is nothing like an English pub ( I am English). The drinks are the same price as the Hawthorne Hotel which has a more pleasant atmosphere,( $8 for a glass of wine) the food choices are limited and are expensive. I wanted to order the special as advertised outside and was told it was not available until after 5pm. ( No mention on the menu of this outside)
Staff are not friendly or knowledgeable. I asked if there were other side dishes or bar snacks and she did not understand what I meant. I illustrated and said " a side of fries?" which was possible but not on the menu.
We were asked for ID and only Massachusetts issued IDs are accepted unless you have back up ID. A green card was shown as ID and not accepted.. As residents in Salem the service was shoddy, atmosphere not much ( Sunday so it should be) staff knowledge and friendliness zero. Prices expensive for what it is. Much better places to eat and spend time, do not be fooled into the facade of an English pub, in England it would have been closed down.

• Visited June 2013
4 Thank RSC
Tracy, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good Beer, Great Food”
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Got lucky and stumbled in to this place on a recent trip. They have plenty of beers on tap to choose from and the food is very good. Be warned though, you had better be hungry. The cheese & gravy fries are a meal by themselves, and the deliciously guilty "Piginator" will take down a normal appetite and laugh at you (plan on splitting this one). We also noticed other local bartenders stopping in after their shifts, but we won't name names :-)

Visited May 2013
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Across the street from the Hawthorne Hotel”
Reviewed April 26, 2013

The food was great and the atmosphere very comfortable. I highly recommend it. The burgers are quite big.

Visited April 2013