“A good spot to feel like a local”
Review of The Old Spot - CLOSED

The Old Spot
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Visited around 9 PM on a Monday night in October. Good beer selection. The crowd seemed to be mostly 20 and 30-something locals. Very laid-back vibe - a bit hipster/rock and roll. Our group of four was seated in an L-shaped booth right by the window, that overlooked the corner of Hawthorne Blvd. and Essex Street - a prime spot for people-watching while having a bite and sipping a beer. Our server was not overly friendly - a bit of a bored hipster type - and actually got one of our drink orders wrong and insisted she actually didn't bring us the wrong beer. That was the only downside of our experience, but not enough to ruin it or prevent me from recommending it. It's worth a visit if you are looking for a low key place to have a beer and feel like a local.

Reviewed October 23, 2012

One of the few places in Salem that doesn't subsribe to the "witch city" theme, the Old Spot is a great English pub with terrific food and good service. If you're looking for a break from the tired witch theme, stop in!

Reviewed October 22, 2012

I ate here over the weekend after stumbling upon it while wandering around Salem enjoying the Halloween festivities. Initially we were just going to drop in and have a beer or two but after sitting at the bar and enjoying it so much we decided to also have dinner. The bartender was great, on top of everything and was very knowledgeable regarding the beer on tap. The bar area was lively and a little small but thats what gave it, it's charm. We decided to move to the dining room for dinner and were pleasantly suprised by the decor, the bench was comfy with some nice cozy pillows. Our waitress was also on top of everything, made sure we had water and came back several times to check on us. We had the bavarian pretzels with cheddar, bacon dip...need I say anymore, you had me at bacon - they were awesome and filling! We decided to split an entree since we devoured the pretzels, and decided on the roasted pork shoulder with applesauce and cabbage mashed potatoes. Now, I would never think to put cabbage in my mashed potatoes and was suspicious of this side but wow it was great! The pork shoulder was phenomenal and the home made applesauce complimented it just perfectly. We then had the brownie sundae for desert to top it all off, and it did not dissappoint.

Highly reccommend The Old Spot, we will definately be going back!

1  Thank TravelBeanKG
Reviewed October 21, 2012 via mobile

I was not expecting much when I stumbled on the Old Spot. From the outside the place looks like every other bar in New England. We went in for one beer which quickly turned into several libations and dinner. There's plenty of great craft beer selections to choose from. My wife and I love to try new beers and had great luck here.
After a couple beverages we caught a whiff of someone else's dinner and decided to eat here too. Again we were impressed. I had a pulled pork sandwich and she had some chicken dish. We also split a pretzel appetizer which was a huge hit. The desert she ordered was decedent as well. The food was awesome all around.
Even though the place was packed, our service was great. The atmosphere was unique and complimented our experience.
We'll be back sooner rather than later.

Reviewed October 13, 2012

It was late on a Thursday night and this was one of the few places that was open. Half the establishment is a pub and the other half is sit down dining.

Pros: None
Cons: Very small menu selection

1  Thank BSCHUFF1980