“Our stay at Northey House”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Northey Street House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #4 of 9 Salem B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed November 2, 2013

We stayed at Northey House for two nights 20th and 21st October 2013. After reading several reviews on trip advisor we emailed Flora the owner and other b & bs and hotels in Salem. Flora was efficient in replying to our email where some others could not be bothered. We decided to book and in doing so received an email advising us of parking rules,and insisting that we telephone her one hour before arriving, this we did several times but her cellphone wasn't working. When we arrived there was no where to park but Flora arrived shortly after and made space for us. On entering we were told to remove shoes as slippers were provided which we thought was unusual.
We were in a room on the third floor with no elevator and steep narrow stairs to negotiate, I was a little worried about carrying heavy luggage as I have a heart condition and get breathless but Flora grabbed two cases and took them upstairs for us.
The room was historical with comfy beds and onsuite bathroom but there was no plug in the washbasin and when I mentioned this to Flora she shrugged her shoulders and gave us a plastic bowl.
The kitchen where breakfast was served was on the second floor and Flora told us we could make tea and coffee anytime. Breakfast was I suppose ok for people who liked that kind of food and my partner did, but for myself I prefer bacon and eggs To be fair Flora did make me scrambled eggs on the second morning as I had nothing the previous morning.Meeting the other guests at breakfast was interesting and Flora introduced everyone to break the ice.
We found Flora to be most obliging,friendly and tried hard to please her guests but needs to think hard about her no shoes policy and to inform guests beforehand so they can bring their own slippers. Breakfast should also cater for all tastes and not just the healthy eating brigade.
In conclusion our stay at Northey House was pleasant and Flora made us feel welcome and If we ever go to Salem again we would consider staying at this b & b.

Room Tip: lower rooms if disabled would be better
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Reviewed November 1, 2013

We've stayed at Northey a few times. Flora is a good hostess, although the part about removing shoes is a pain. I will not wear slippers worn by other people & it's a hassle to have my own handy everytime we go in & out. The room/bathroom were very clean & many toiletries were provided, so we didn't have to bring our own. The breakfast she provided was "healthy" and snacks/drinks were also made available. The off street parking was a big plus, even though we walked most places. We've stayed in worse B&B's in the area. It's a good place to stay if you don't mind "the rules"

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank pkelleher2117
northey, Owner at Northey Street House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2013

Thank you for your comments & feedback. I'm sorry for the misunderstanding. It sounds like you had mistakenly thought we provide used slippers without them being properly washed, we absolutely wash them after guests use just like linens and towels. We do ask guests to not put used slippers back in basket, but rather to leave them on the floor. There is also a note at the basket to remind folks of that.

If there is any kind of hardship in taking off their shoes and they let me know, I simply ask them to wipe their shoes well on the foyer mats. We also have the carpets professionally cleaned every season, so it's really not a rule that is set in stone. Guests can also request the 1st floor rooms and come around the back to the kitchen, that way there's no need to remove their shoes.

A final note on the no shoes request, I found a blogger who said it best "According to the EPA Tracked in carpet dust is one of the major sources of home exposure to lead, allergen, bacteria, fungi, volatile organic compounds, and pesticides…eew! Not to mention the other dirt and grime {and who knows what else – restrooms – yuck!} found on the ground – everywhere you may go. There is a reason I wear shoes in public…I’m just saying." and "There are a lot of different opinions about removing shoes – though I have to side with Martha Stewart when she says remove your shoes at the door, and ask guests to do the same."

So glad you found us to be "very clean", breakfast "healthy", and parking to be "a big plus". Personally, a clean place to stay is top of the list for me. I wish you the very best.

Reviewed October 29, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Northey this past weekend for Salem's Haunted Happenings. It's a great location, walking distance from the train station and all of the major attractions downtown. Flora was a wonderful hostess and made guests feel right at home. I've stayed at some B&Bs that feel stuffy and I didn't feel any of that at Northey -just felt welcome! Also, it was a great value, even during the peak weekend on which we visited. The neighborhood was quiet and felt very "local". All in all, a great visit.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank katums1985
northey, Owner at Northey Street House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2013

Thank you for your kind words! We're delighted that you felt welcomed and comfortable here and that you had an enjoyable Haunted Happenings weekend. It's great to be amongst other Halloween costumed revelers during this Fall season in Salem. It's quite an experience that even locals marvel at how the town is completely transformed into this Halloween capital, seemingly, of the world.

I love open, light filled spaces, so there is absolutely no stuffiness here. Thank you for mentioning that. There is much more to see in Salem and I hope you will be back to see it in a different season/light. Best wishes to you and your husband.

Reviewed October 28, 2013

I was not going to write a review of this property but Flora the owner actually sent me an email asking me to review her B&B and so here goes.

This review is difficult to write as Flora seems a nice enough person and I would not want to do either her or her establishment any harm.

My wife and I had been on a three week tour in the USA staying in eight different hotels / B&B's that cost any between $100 to $300 per night. This gives me seven other establishments to compare Northey against and at various price points etc.

The welcome was OK. Flora was just going out and this was fine but she made it clear that we had to take off our shoes and use slippers provided. This was to keep out "dirt and allergens". I had a couple off issues with this. I would never enter anyone's home wearing dirty shoes and why would "allergens" be any more likely to be on my shoes than my coat or my suitcase? The other issue is that the stair carpet up to the room was a bit worn and manky looking.

I have stayed in literally hundreds of hotels and B&B's and have never not once ever been asked to remove shoes and wear slippers. It's Flora's property and so it is of course up to her, I just found it a little weird.

The room itself was again strange. I have stayed in fantastic older style or chintzy guest houses in the past and although they may not be to my taste that is not a problem if done well. In Northey the style of the room was very much if there is a space on a wall or on a shelf or fireplace then fill it with "stuff". The room was jam packed with "stuff". Piles of old National Geographic Magazines, Sea shells, a plaster seagull, a plaster ornament of two teddy bears in a bed. On the wall were various pictures of ships but then a modern wall hanging. In the bathroom were three mirrors, one modern with lights above, one with stain glass effect and one plain. Everything kind of jarred. It was like the room was decorated in a style many years ago and then over a period of time more and more stuff was added to the room but with no real need to be there.

The breakfast was not what I was expecting. I had read some reviews about fabulous breakfasts and was looking forward to this. We were given a tiny bowl of chopped fruit, some cranberry bread which had been bought in and was excellent and I was also offered some cake (I would not eat cake for breakfast). Flora asked if I would like some scrambled eggs and what was produced was by a million miles the worst scrambled eggs I have ever had. Three large solid lumps of dried egg.

It was actually difficult to write this review and Flora was good company but unfortunately we were not paying for her company.

The positives were it had parking and WIFI. It was a reasonable walk to Salem centre. It was very clean in the room.

At just under $200 for the room it was very, very poor value for money and I would never return. We stayed in $100 rooms that were on a par with what was offered at Northey House. For the price I genuinely expected better.

My apologies Flora. I was not going to review but did so only after you mailed and asked me to.

7  Thank ukwouthwest
northey, Owner at Northey Street House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2013

Thank you for your feedback. We always like to know how we can improve. You booked one night in the middle of Salem's Haunted Happenings which is the one month that is extremely peak in demand, so I understand why you didn't feel it was a good value compare to other places you stayed during this time.

Regarding the shoes off request, I found a blogger who said it best "According to the EPA Tracked in carpet dust is one of the major sources of home exposure to lead, allergen, bacteria, fungi, volatile organic compounds, and pesticides…eew! Not to mention the other dirt and grime {and who knows what else – restrooms – yuck!} found on the ground – everywhere you may go. There is a reason I wear shoes in public…I’m just saying." and "There are a lot of different opinions about removing shoes – though I have to side with Martha Stewart when she says remove your shoes at the door, and ask guests to do the same."

You stayed in the Captain's Quarters as requested. There are many current photos of the room on our website and facebook page so that guest know exactly what the room they're booking looks like. Personally, I prefer a room with some interesting objects and magazines to look at than a bare room. Salem has a rich maritime history and trade with the Far East. The Japanese silk scroll is a nod to that history, not a random "modern wall hanging".

The breakfast you had was fresh out of the oven cranberry walnut bread from our local top rated artisan bakery and their apple coffee cake. Most guest in general like something sweet with their morning coffee. The apple cake was actually only lightly sweet, moist and eggy like a popover. I really wish you had tried it. The bakery had loads of other much sweeter breakfast offerings, like their decadent sticky cinnamon bun, chocolate croissants, brown butter cakes & other coffee cakes and danishes and they have quite a big following. I think it's quite international to have some sweet bread with morning coffee/tea. Some people like their eggs well done, evidently, you were not one of them.

Most people come to B&B's for the personal touches and the interactions with other people. I'm sure if you had poor interactions, you would be writing about them. I believe you had a good experience, just not at the price point you wanted.

Reviewed October 25, 2013

We came East from Oklahoma to visit family in Connecticut, but we spent two wonderful days in Salem first. We loved our room at the Northey House--very cozy, clean, and comfortable--and the breakfasts Flora served were delicious! Parking was not a problem, and the location at Northey was a comfortable walk (for two seniors) to the Common, the Witch Museum, Hawthorne Hotel,and Essex Street pedestrian mall. We took advantage of the trolley tour to introduce us to the city and got on and off to visit the old cemetery in town and the Witch Memorial. We had wonderful weather and couldn't have been more pleased with the hospitality at the Northey House. After checking out, we visited the House of the Seven Gables and the wharf area before heading to Connecticut. It was great fun, and we can't wait to come back to Salem!

Room Tip: We had a beautiful room on the ground floor that was sunny and bright, comfortably warm, and didn...
1  Thank RitaB1234
Reviewed October 23, 2013

Comfortable, clean, quiet, yummy vegetarian/gluten bree breakfast, accommodating hostess. Fun walking from Northey B&B at night in downtown Salem and visiting the Salem Witches Museum and House of Seven Gables Museum the next day.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 1PeaceLove
Reviewed October 22, 2013

We travel to Salem virtually every year and stay in a B&B. Based on our October 2013 stay in the Northey House, Flora has definitely earned our business on return trips. The location was superb, easily within walking distance of all attractions and yet away from the crowds that frequent Salem in October. Parking was not an issue with off street parking just steps from the door to our room. Breakfast was a very tasty frittata and pumpkin and cranberry corn muffins and served in the second floor dining room with other guests who seemed as happy with their accommodations as we were with ours. Far and away what sets Northey Street House apart though is the friendly and hospitable nature of Flora, the self described "accidental innkeeper". Her hard work, and friendly disposition combine to create a welcoming atmosphere and that atmosphere is what makes Northey House a great place to stay in Salem.

1  Thank schraged
Also consider these accommodations in or near Salem
Hawthorne Hotel
Hampton Inn Boston/Peabody
The Merchant
The Merchant
#2 of 9 in Salem

Been to Northey Street House Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!