“Awesome!!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Northey Street House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #4 of 9 Salem B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
“Awesome!!”
Reviewed October 16, 2013 via mobile

will definitely stay here again!! Flora is awesome and extremely welcoming to all. breakfast was great. bed very comfy. extra supplies in bathroom in case you forget something. acceptable price. small tv in 3rd floor bedroom. wifi. number one feature was walking distance to attractions...I hate walking super far to stuff and the location of this place is perfect. quiet and safe neighborhood. off street parking which is essential here. will definitely stay again!!!

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Alicia B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Orinda, California
Reviewed October 12, 2013

I had such a wonderful experience staying here last year, I had to come back again! I have to say I was thrilled that everything was exactly how I remembered! Flora, as always, was so friendly and accommodating, her abundant breakfasts were delicious, and walking into the immaculate yet comfortable Northey house, felt like a nice warm welcome home. Salem, in itself, Is such a charming town, brimming with its rich history, with plenty to do and see......but it is also centrally located to many of New England's must-see towns and attractions, We were able to travel to Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, while keeping Northey as our home base. Love this place! Might just have to come back again next year!

Room Tip: My favorite is the Garden Room.
Green Features: Really appreciated Northey being super green. What an added plus!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Karefree2
northey, Owner at Northey Street House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, October 13, 2013
Thank you so much for taking time to post such a kind review! We're so pleased that you found Northey "warm & welcoming", "immaculate yet comfortable". Salem is a very centrally located New England town and the history here is endless. Many travelers have made us their home base as you did and made day trips to Southern ME & NH.

We're so glad you enjoyed your stay and found our breakfasts to be "abundant" & "delicious". We do not let anybody leave hungry ;) In fact, many guests have commented on how the breakfasts carried them thru a busy morning of site-seeing tours where the schedules may not be back to back. They then have packed one of our complimentary snack bars and were able to get thru many of the attractions before the tour day ends at about 5pm and head over for an early dinner before doing an evening walking tour to maximize their day.

We were delighted to have you return to Northey House and we look forward to welcoming you again next year.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 9, 2013

We were not told that the breakfast area was on the second floor of this B&B. It is a full flight of steps which are steep. We were there for a vacation with friends and we were not able to join them for breakfast. Also, the "living room" is on the second floor which made it impossible for us to join our group for any kind of cocktail time or relaxing conversational time. Apparently, there is an optional room cleaning policy of which we were not aware. Clean towels were provided, but the bed was not made. This B&B is difficult to find if you are not familiar with the Salem streets.
If anyone has difficulty with steps, I would not recommend Northey St B&B

Room Tip: There are steps even for the first floor rooms
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank JBS116
northey, Owner at Northey Street House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Thank you for your comments. I do understand your dissappointment at not being able to join your friends at gatherings. At the time of booking, I did ask the host of your group who took over the entire house if anyone have problems with stairs, as this is an 1809 historic home, though the back steps are new from 2006 and is standard width and steepness. I was told the first floor room would be fine for you folks. There are photos of our house front and back all over our web pages and FB pages that show that there are a few steps to the 1st floor. This is not a fact that we try to hide. I've found it helpful to be a bit higher during snow storms with drifts and all. Your host stayed in the 1st floor Apt Suite with a large fully stocked kitchen, large table, 5 chairs and sitting area adjacent to your Garden room so I was very surprised that they decided to move all the food and beverages from their Apt fridge to the 2nd floor living room rather than have the gatherings in their spacious 1st floor Suite. Housekeeping usually does a thorough room cleaning and towel change after the 2nd night. I'm not sure why your bed was not made then, I do apologize for that oversight. I certainly agree with you that this house is not suitable for anyone that have difficulty with steps. From my experience, majority of visitors have found it easy to get around the inn and to and from the center of town and the train and ferry.

Gates
Reviewed October 4, 2013

We Stayed one night at the Northey St. Bed And Breakfast not knowing exactly what we would get. We wanted to stay within walking distance to the downtown area, but we didn't want the traffic noise that comes along with the downtown area. The Northey St. fit the bill. It only was a 10 minute walk to downtown Salem, but the B & B was on a really quiet street so we slept really well. The bed was comfortable, there was plenty of hot water for showers, everything was very clean and the breakfast was excellent! We were served a veggie frittata that was really yummy as well as fruit and yogurt. Flora is a really good cook as well as a very accommodating hostess. She gave us information on the area as well as recommendations as to what to see and do for the short time we were in Salem. I would definitely stay at the Northey St. again.

Room Tip: We had the room in the front of the house. She does ask that you take your shoes off at the door of...
Green Features: We liked the fact that Flora was environmentally conscience. She even had a recycle bin in the bathroom. I would recommend this B & B.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

2 Thank Lizzie C
northey, Owner at Northey Street House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, October 5, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I'm so glad that you enjoyed your stay and found it easy to walk everywhere & slept well here! I want all our guests to have a nice experience and I'm so pleased that you did. I'm glad I was able to answer your questions and give you the personal attention you deserve. I really appreciate your feedback and I look forward to your next visit!

Hasbrouck Heights, New Jersey
Reviewed October 2, 2013

I stayed for a second time at the Northey House and again what a nice stay. Thora, the innkeeper, is very personal and friendly and a stay here is more like staying with a good friend rather than some frilly Victorian experience. The only thing I have a problem with is that the B & B has an optional room cleaning, which I still don't agree with (Thora knew this and cleaned my room throughly). Her breakfasts are very creative and her baking wonderful. Her quiches can be a little over-whelming with all the ingredients, but some people liked them. I would have preferred a simple egg dish than the exotic fillings. I give her an A for creativity though. Overall, this is a wonderful place to stay and for a second time, I recommend it.

Room Tip: Pick the Captain's Room if it is available, but the third floor room I stayed in was just as acc...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed October 2, 2013

As part of celebrating our 55th wedding anniversary, we decided to spend a couple of days in Salem, Mass. Are we ever glad we decided to stay at the Northey House Bed and Breakfast! We arrived several hours early, but were warmly greeted and our room, The Captain's Quarters", was quickly readied for us while we relaxed in the common area. We were asked not to wear our shoes in the house, which did not bother us in the least. I can understand the reasoning behind this as most of the house is carpeted and tracking in dirt, and mud during bad weather, would really make it very difficult to keep the carpeting clean. Also, as this is a multi-story house, walking about in stockinged feet is much quieter for the room below us. Parking off the street is rare here I soon learned. Although space is very limited, the compact car we rented fit nicely. Flora is a gem. She made us feel like family, and fed us like royalty. I'm afraid that even with all the walking we did her fabulous breakfasts put a couple of pounds on me. The fun of meeting new people at the B&B, and sharing a meal (or two) with them really enhanced the family atmosphere that we found there. We both feel we truly got our money's worth and would gladly recommend Northey House to our friends.

Room Tip: I can only vouch for the Captain's Quarters, which we fully enjoyed. If you have a disability t...
Green Features: I was impressed to learn that Flora is fully into recycling the usual paper, bottles, etc, and also has her own composting system for reusing fruit peels, vegetable trimmings, etc. She also captures rain water for use in her garden/flower beds.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

2 Thank dboone76
northey, Owner at Northey Street House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind words! We're so glad you choose to stay with us for your very special 55th anniversary and that while here, you felt like "family" & "royalty". It was such a pleasure to meet you both & get to know you a bit.

We do ask guests to take off their shoes in an effort to minimize dirt, germs, & allergens for everybody. But you're right, it also helps keep it quieter for rooms below. Some guests bring their own slippers or they are welcome to use clean ones provided at foyer.

We're delighted you all had a great time and would appreciate your word of mouth recommendations. With all the building up of Salem going on, I hope you'll return for another visit. Perhaps we can help you celebrate your 60th anniversary ;)

Redondo Beach, California
Reviewed October 2, 2013

Flora, the owner of Northey Street B & B is amazing. Me and my daughter enjoyed the wonderful home-made breakfast every morning. The egg frittata and scones were delicious. We loved the room and garden. Flora grows a lot of her own vegetables and fruit, We had fresh blue berries from her garden. Also, enjoyed that the museums and park were so close to walk to. We truly enjoyed our stay in July. We will definitely come back.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Salem
Salem Waterfront Hotel & Suites
#2 of 9 in Salem
Stepping Stone Inn
Stepping Stone Inn
#3 of 9 in Salem

Been to Northey Street House Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!