“Authentic taste of Italy”

Firenze Trattoria Salem
Ranked #2 of 236 Restaurants in Salem
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner
Dining options: Dinner
Salem, Massachusetts
“Authentic taste of Italy”
Reviewed March 4, 2014

An openhearted attitude by the owners, brothers who grew up in Florence, and very authentic Florentine dishes sets apart this small bistro from the typical Italian or Italian-american restaurant. If you like your pasta al dente, if you like rich well-balanced sauces for meat and fish, if you like healthy fresh home-made tasting food, this place will satisfy you. It's a neighborhood place where you know a few dishes on the menu that you always like. His soups are out of this world, creamy and subtle. The pasta-and-sauce combinations change with whatever's fresh in the ingredients. Service is very attentive, although you will wait a while for the food, since each table is cooked to order. Desserts are knockout. Overall, an attention to careful cooking and to the customer experience.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank Nina C

Salem, Massachusetts
“Atmosphere, wine, and pasta!”
Reviewed February 28, 2014

My husband and I stopped in one early evening last month for the sake of trying a new Salem venue. The atmosphere is charming, like a real trattoria in Italy - we sat at the window bench, which was perfectly comfortable. The owners and staff couldn't have been more pleasant, professional, and accommodating of our particular food allergy issues. We wound up getting pasta - a rigatoni and a gnocchi - both of which were absolutely superb; so filling that we almost didn't order dessert, but the magic phrase "pannecota with a raspberry reduction sauce" changed our minds and luckily so; it was brilliant! We look forward to returning again and again to what is now our favorite restaurant in Salem!

• Visited January 2014
2 Thank Andiepow
Salem, MA
“Okay”
Reviewed December 1, 2013

We went to Firenze on a recent Saturday night and went early since I had read that they did not accept reservations. It is small but you do not feel crowded. We arrived at about 5:30 9they open at 5) and by 6:15 they were pretty packed.
The service was excellent and the owner was very pleasant. I did not find the food to be as good as all the reviews I had read on yelp.
My husband had the salad and the fish special which was salmon. He found his dinner to be excellent. I ordered a glass of the house chianti which was very good. I ordered the bread soup and the pork chop. The soup was okay - I enjoyed the flavors but not the texture. Everything was rather mushy. My pork chop was overcooked and a dry pork chop is not pleasant. I know I should have said something, but I did not. Both dinners came with roasted vegetables and roasted potatoes and although my husband asked for more vegetables and no potatoes, he got potatoes. They were good but were served more at room temperature. We did order the panna cotta with raspberry sauce and cappuccinos. Panna cotta was very good but too too much raspberry sauce.
I don't know if I would return.

• Visited November 2013
Boston, Massachusetts
“The former Trattoria Toscana Boston chef in Salem”
Reviewed November 12, 2013

Since the early period of my stay in the Boston area, I was told from many friends and people I know that the only place to have a true Italian trattoria experience was the Trattoria Toscana located in the Fenway/Kenmore area. Since the original chef and owner had left this business long before my arrival in the US, I considered it useless to visit this restaurant. However, as soon as I was told that the guy had opened his new place in Salem, I visited one weekend night with a group of friends. The experience was outstanding for a series of reasons:

The location of the restaurant is just of a main street of Salem, where a couple of very nice bars for drinks and cocktails allow you to wait if the restaurant is too busy. At the same time it is also very easy to find, because it is located on a narrow all brown bricks street.

The restaurant itself is very small, but cozy at the same time. The interior design is very Tuscany oriented and the small tables and closeness to people make the stay very nice and humanly warm.

The chef/owner, Zamir Kociaj, is an Albanian that lived for more than a decade in Florence, Italy, where as he told me, he mastered the Tuscan rustic cuisine and managed a series of tourism facilities before coming to Boston. He is a true gentleman, well-behaved and knowledgeable in Italian food, language and culture, so he really knows what he does and proposes. His brother works there as the main waiter and as far as I understood, he is a professional waiter that helps and suggests with a nice smile.

The menu is not the biggest, but what they offer is just wonderfully thought and priced. We started with a mix of bruschettas (focus on the super tasty liver pate) and white wine. Afterwards we got some really fresh burrata with tomatoes and basil and a mix of salumi and grana padano. A risotto with mushrooms and truffle oil and some rigatoni with spicy tomato sauce and pancetta followed. I have to say that I found a place where they offer a properly made risotto - creamy - and not pilaf. I also tried some Italian-style tripe just for the pleasure of enhancing the experience.

However the king of the table was the branzino fish (in the family of the sea bass) char-grilled. It was so tasty that I had to ask about its origin. The chef told me that he gets the fish two times per week from a firm that brings it BY PLANE from Greece. For 30 USD, this whole branzino enough for two people to eat is a steal, precisely because it comes from the Mediterranean.

The wonderful night at Firenze Trattoria Salem ended with some pannacotta covered from wild berries sauce and some flour-less chocolate cake which I enjoyed for the first time. All in all, I cannot wait to go back there and try some other dishes that seemed quite promising and accompany them with one bottle of Italian red wine. In this harsh New England winter, it is the perfect place to appreciate the good rustic food traditions of Tuscany.

• Visited November 2013
5 Thank Gent P

Been to Firenze Trattoria Salem? Share your experiences!