“Avoid at all costs! Awful! Don't believe the great reviews!”
Review of Clipper Ship Inn

Clipper Ship Inn
Ranked #9 of 9 Salem B&B and Inns
Palm Beach Florida
“Avoid at all costs! Awful! Don't believe the great reviews!”
Reviewed September 21, 2010

We called the Clipper Ship after seeing their ad in the Salem booklet given out by the Visitor
Center. We had tried several others for a same day reservation but they were booked. The woman that I spoke to at the Clipper Ship was very snarky and seemed to be annoyed at having to answer basic questions inquiring about rates etc. I was trying to book two double rooms, non-smoking. She told me that she only had two rooms left and that they were non-smoking and the price was $139. per night plus tax. I asked about AAA or AARP rates and she said that they were not affiliated with them and that the price was non-negotiable. We were tired and ready to wind up our day so we booked the rooms. Upon arrival we all sort of took a deep breath because the place was really sad looking. There were tarps all over the roof which would indicate some water issues but we headed into the office anyway. There were two women, one asleep in front of the computer who turned out to be the one that we had spoken to on the phone. We indicated that the place was not up to our standards, especially considering the price and asked to see the rooms. The rooms were very depressing; poorly decorated with dim lighting. In one of the rooms there was a portable air conditioner with a giant hose that was to be used for cooling the room! The "non-smoking" rooms smelled like cigarette smoke, as well. We quickly headed back to the office and told them that we would not be staying. We found a lovely Holiday Inn for the same price and had a wonderful stay. This place is equal to a $39 per night hotel. Yuck!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank mizdarcy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Saratoga Springs, New York
Reviewed August 23, 2010

The Clipper Ship Inn is a great place to stay for those who want to spend their hard earned dollars on having fun rather than a place to sleep. The staff was friendly and well informed about restaurants and attractions. They went out of their way to make our stay comfortable.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Wilmington, North Carolina
Reviewed August 11, 2010

This hotel is stuck in the 80's. No high speed internet, just basic!. The manager was extremely rude, and wouldn't even acknowledge that we were standing there. There is no comprimise here at this hotel, and the quoted price was different when we actually arrived at the hotel. For the price, you could get another room at an updated and friendlier hotel!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank hyperhaze

Travelers are raving about these Salem hotels

cassleton
Reviewed August 4, 2010

I just got off the road from a 4,300 mile road trip. My husband, son and I stayed in several hotels during our travels. Let me tell you, this hotel is a gem. Our room was very clean and the air conditioner worked great. The courtyard of the hotel was well maintained and proved to be a nice place to sit and relax. Quite with a faint hint of sea air. This is not a cookie cutter hotel. Our room was tastefully decorated. The beds were more comfortable than the beds at the 4 star hotel we statyed at the nights before. I slept wonderfully. The clippership is just a short drive from downtown Salem. No trouble at all to get to where you want to go. The night that we where to arrive at the clippership, the manager called us on the road to make sure we were alright and not lost. We where stuck in Boston traffic. She was very helpful with directions. She also had much knowledge about area attractions. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Hobbs, New Mexico
Reviewed August 4, 2010

Not close to the sites. The staff was friendly and helpful. The room & bathroom was huge and clean. Across the street was a Dunkin Donuts and a 99 restaurant. If you have kids, they will be bored. No pool, laundry room, internet...but a deal.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 27, 2010

i was completely satisfied with my stay at the clippership,this has been my 10th stay there, the staff are all friendly and helpful, the rooms are spacious and very clean, the clippership is close to the attractions of salem, whether walking or driving which i prefer to walk saves on parking fees, i walk along the street called collins cove beatiful view not far from derby wharf where i eat my meals, i would and have recommended this to many friends who also have been very satisfied,thank you clippership inn for a very comfortable stay i will be back next year as always

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed July 14, 2010

I stayed here from July 9th to July 13th and had a great time. The staff was really nice and very helpful. They always made sure everything was ok and we were happy. They also gave us ideas of things we need to see and places to go eat at. This place is about 1/2 hour walking into town. I did it everyday with my mother. If you want to take a taxi you can for 6$. The rooms were very clean and they also had 2 cats when you came in, so I felt like I was home.
I am playing to go back to Salem and I will stay there again

• Stayed July 2010
Also consider these accommodations in or near Salem
Hawthorne Hotel
Hawthorne Hotel
#1 of 3 in Salem
Salem Waterfront Hotel & Suites
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Boston-Peabody
SpringHill Suites Boston Peabody
Hampton Inn Boston/Peabody
Wylie Inn and Conference Center

Been to Clipper Ship Inn? Share your experiences!