Clipper Ship Inn
  • Breakfast included
Econo Lodge(Danvers)
Harbor Light Inn(Marblehead)
View Hotel
All reviewsdonutsdouble doorsblack catblack lobsterkeurig coffee machineclose to downtowndowntown salemgreat place to stayliving roomrooms were very cleannice staynew englandsuzannedunkinattractionsmicrowavehalloween
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 9, 2010

My husband and I were looking to get away for Thanksgiving. We live in Connecticut in Fairfield country which is about 3.5 hrs away. Out children are married and were all off in other directions, so we decided to plan a little get away. Since we are seniors we did not want to drive to far but wanted to stay somewhere close to the water since we live on the water at home. I had been to Salem before on a business trip and in my search for a place to stay over our pending trip for Thanksgiving, I stumbled on the Clipper Ship Inn.

When I called to make the reservations, I was greeted with a very friendly "hello. " We booked our 3 days over the Thanksgiving Weekend and waited with anticipation for the time to come. I told my husband that this was not a "fancy: hotel but a very cute motor inn not far the all the wonderful sights that Salem has to offer and also close to route 128 which we could venture off to "famous RockPort and Gloucester" which are only about 25to30 min. away.

Upon our arrival we were warmly greeted and without any hassles went straight to our room. To our supprise, the room which is really two rooms were very spacious. The living room which I will call it: had a sofa, table and chairs, refrig, Microwave and a coffee set up. The bed room separated by double doors had two queen size beds, and a TV.
The bathroom was also very large for a motor inn and I so enjoyed the vanity area where I could fix my hair and makeup. Actually I am a tea drinker so I trottted off to the office and they very kindly gave me some wonderful morning tea bags. Also there is planty of parking and no charge.

We were very happy with the Clipper Ship and when I had to return to the area on a business trip shortly there after, I stayed again at the Inn. My trip was interrupted by the terrible snow storm we had on Dec 19-20, however, the Inn which is accross from Dunkin Doughnuts and 1 block from other restauants and convenience stores kept me very confortable and full.

I am again visiting Salem in the middle of May and I have booked the Clipper Ship Inn for 3 nights. I feel very at home there. The ladies at the front desk are friendly and can give you pointers as to different events and activies that are taking place. The famous "HOUSE OF SEVEN GABLES" is a few blocks away and is a must to see.

To sum it up....The Clipper Ship Inn is a great place for just yourself and families. It is motor Inn and does not have all the frills!!!! But the rooms are spacious for children, you are near restaurants like "99' which kids love and you can stash snaks and sodas in the frig. or microwave a quick soup for them. My daughter is visiting later this year from Westport CT and she and hubby are taking there kiddies for a few days. By the way, I will be staying here for Halloween!!!! must remember to book early.
Gail Liddell
Stratford CT

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed May 8, 2010

Not only were the ladies at the desk rude but the place stunk like an air freshener bomb had gone off. the windows did not have screens. a small window at the back of the room was broken with no curtin, witch we found out in the morrning that the sun comes right through it. When we checked out The nasty lady was standing out front of the office waiting for us and told us that we did not tell her that we had a kid (a year and a half) so we owed her another $40 and that we should have been in a larger room as per Fire code. Nice try! the room was about 20 by 30 thats plenty big for a playpen when there is only a double bed in there. We TOLD them we need room for the playpen!! We also had friends in the room next to us and their room was dirty. the air freshener smell didnt disapate and when they picked up their toddler he was black on his hands and knees. This place should be shut down by the helth Dept and I wonder how many people do pay the extra that, after reading some of these reviews, they try to charge everyone? maybe the IRS shoud have a look too!!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank how-I-feel-365
Reviewed May 6, 2010

My family and I stayed here last summer for 2 nights. When booking the visit from the website, nowhere did it say that the Inn was Pet Friendly. (If it did, I wouldn't have made reservations as my husband and son are extremely allergic to cats and dogs.)

When we arrived and were checking in, there sat a big old cat right in the middle of the lobby. After commenting on this to the clerk, it was at that point that we were told that pets were welcome there. Great!!!

Ten minutes after checking into the room, my son started sneezing, eyes closing, and wheezing. I left and found the nearest drug store for some Benedryl. That helped a little; but then he was groggy and only wanted to sleep for the rest of our trip.

As far as the room goes, I have to agree that it was dingy and dirty looking. I, too, would not take off my shoes...the carpet was disgusting! The pictures on the website are definitely deceiving!!!

Next time in Salem, I'll spend the extra money and go somewhere else.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed April 6, 2010

I recently stayed at the clippership inn ,I have been going to salem for the last 5 years I have many choices regarding inns,hotels,motels.My family and I always stay at the clippership inn where we have always been treated very well and the rooms are very clean and spacious and it is close to all attractions and restaurants and the price is always reasonable any time of the year.Ignore bad reports check it out for yourself..

Reviewed October 13, 2009

I am surprised at some of these negative reviews, we had no issues with staff, location, rooms or cats! The staff was very helpful during our entire stay, Our room was clean, the bed was extremely comfortable, with extra pillows, we were only a 15 minute walk to the historic area. The area around the room was quiet and we were able to get a smoking room, which is almost impossible these days. Both Suzanne and the other woman in the office were very thorough and friendly, offering all kinds of assistance at the Inn and in town. There were two very quiet and friendly cats in the office, ice and vending service until midnight, plenty of brochures and maps, plenty of toiletries and towels and paper products in the room. This is a place we are already planning to come back to next October, we had no problems at all and were very pleased with every aspect of our visit.
Margie, Scituate MA